Summers Scores Career High In Season-Opening Win

Junior guard Jarvis Summers scored a career-high 28 points to lift Ole Miss past Troy, 69-54, in Saturday's season opener in the Tad Smith Coliseum. He shot 52.6 percent (10-of-19) from the field, including 5-for-10 from 3-point range.

"He was huge," Kennedy said. "When you're void of offense, you need guys to step up and he was tremendous early."

Summers scored 22 of his 28 points in the first half on 9-for-11 shooting, including 4-for-4 from 3-point range. The rest of the team was just 7-for-32 in the first half, as the Rebels took a 39-26 lead into halftime.

"Offensively, we seemed like we were out of rhythm," Kennedy said. "We had spurts where we looked pretty good with Derrick (Millinghaus) pushing the ball in the open floor. With Marshall not in the lineup, I went with my more experienced guys in Derrick and Jarvis, and I think Jarvis really responded offensively off the ball, which is something we're looking for him to do.

He got the start in the backcourt with sophomore guards Derrick Millinghaus and Martavious Newby. Millinghaus was second on the team with 13 points, including 10 in the second half.

"It's one of the reasons that I went with him and Derrick because I wanted to change his mindset initially," Kennedy said. "I have been challenging him to score and look to score more. When he has the ball at the point, he's more of a facilitator. I was trying to get him to be aggressive, and my hope is that he knows that he needs to be a double-figure scorer for us night in and night out."

"I feel like I'm capable of scoring, but most of all, I want to get my teammates involved, do what coach wants me to do and try to get the win," Summers said. "If he wants me to score and be more aggressive, then that's what I'm going to do."

TrackBack URL: http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt5.2/mt-tb.cgi/49939