Carter Breaks Course Record at Texas Shootout

By Alex Sims for OleMissSports.com

It was a special day for a Rebel great. Ole Miss Women's Golf alumna Dori Carter tied the lowest round of her career on Friday to break the course record at Las Colinas Country Club and make the cut at the Volunteers of America Texas Shootout Presented by JTBC.

The Valdosta, Georgia native started on the back nine and, beginning with a birdie on 18, reeled off five birdies and an eagle in a six-hole span. She made par on her final four holes to finish with an incredible 8-under par (63) round, a 13-stroke improvement from Round 1 to Round 2 to make her first cut of the 2017 season.

"That's just golf," Carter said. "I struck the ball well yesterday but I didn't get up and down--today I did. When I did miss the green, I got up and down, and then I had some really cool long fringe putt kind of things, putts started to fall, and things became exciting. Today was finally my day."

The result vaulted her to 3-under for the tournament going into Round 3. The Rebel was inside the top 10 when her round concluded, more than 100 positions up from a tie for 116th, where she began the day.

Carter has played well in this event before, tying for sixth in Texas in 2014, which stands as her career-best finish. But she isn't putting any pressure on herself to match that finish. The next two days are all about soaking it in.

"This is a fun tournament for me," Carter said. "I had a really good finish a couple of years ago. This game has been so frustrating lately. I'm tired of it being frustrating, so I'm going to try to find a way to finally enjoy it."

Follow along on LPGA.com.

Shoutout: America's Most Beautiful Campus

Carter spoke with the media after her round and explained why she chose Ole Miss. We agree, Dori (and we're glad you came).

"The second they invited me for a visit and I walked onto that campus, I loved it," Carter said. "That was pretty much a done deal from there. Ole Miss is just absolutely beautiful."

Twitter Reacts to Dori's Round