Scholtz Looks Forward to Davis Cup

Scholtz_NikDavisCup.jpg

OXFORD, Miss. - While his alma mater kicks off a big weekend with two home matches at their brand new indoor tennis center, Rebel All-American Nik Scholtz will be representing his home country, South Africa, in Davis Cup at the Irene Country Club in Pretoria.

South Africa faces Israel in a crucial Europe/Africa Group I tie beginning Friday. New this year, Davis Cup matches will be best of three sets instead of best of five as in previous ties.

A regular on the South Africa Davis Cup squad now, Scholtz will be making his seventh appearance in Davis Cup. The last time South African played at home, Scholtz rallied to win a thrilling five-setter against Slovenia in April of 2017, to help lead South Africa to a commanding win in Group II. In the fall, South Africa beat Denmark to earn promotion to Group I.

Scholtz will face Israel's No. 1, Dudi Sela, in the second rubber of the day. Sela has been ranked as high as No. 29 in the world and is currently No. 97. Lloyd Harris will lead it off for South Africa against Israel's Eden Lesham. Saturday will feature doubles, and then Sunday the reverse singles, with Scholtz going up against Lesham.

Scholtz said he is looking forward to the challenge of facing one of the world's top players.

"Dudi is a great player with a good pedigree, but after my big five-set win here at Irene a few ties back, I feel confident that I can perform well for myself, my team and country," Scholtz said. "This is going to be a good weekend of tennis. Both sides are evenly matched, so it can go either way. I am confident that the KIA SA team with home advantage and the support of the locals can pull off the win."

Another Rebel alum, Tucker Vorster, is also part of the team, but is not scheduled to play.

To follow Scholtz and his teammates in the Davis Cup head to DavisCup.com.

TrackBack URL: http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt5.2/mt-tb.cgi/63605