Linton Adjusting to New Home in Offensive Backfield

Linton.jpg
Armani Linton just wanted to help out any way he could. He wasn't getting as many reps in practice last fall at his natural position of safety and he wanted to do more.

"I was sitting around not doing much, so I told the coaches 'hey let me run scout team or do something to help us get better for the next opponent.' It just kind of took off from there," Linton recalled.

He began by imitating Alabama's Jalen Hurts on scout team offense and then would do the same for opposing running backs Ole Miss was game planning for each week. His speed and natural athleticism stood out so much it caught his coaches' attention.

"All the defensive coaches in the fall came to me bragging about how well he was portraying one of the opposing running backs for whatever defense we were playing," running backs coach Derrick Nix said. "All of a sudden it caught fire. He just wanted an opportunity to help this team more. He's already done a great job on special teams and if there is an opportunity for him to help us at running back then lets give him a shot and see what he can do."

After the season ended, the Nix and Linton discussed moving positions, something Linton was certainly open to. From there the transition began. He began doing drills to prepare to be a running back.

"I like it a lot," Linton said of the change I talked to Coach Nix about it in the fall and he thought I could help the team there. That's really what I'm trying to do is help this team any way I can and put myself into position to make more plays."

Linton played running back in high school out of predominantly an I-formation. It's enough experience for him to feel comfortable transitioning, but there is still a lot to learn from the playbook to the pace to blitz packages.

"It's a totally different offense," Linton said. "In high school I was in the I-formation and everything was under center. Just getting used to the steps and signals from the shotgun and different stuff like that, the progressions too. Other than that, it is just being physical and trying to do my assignment."

Nix is pleased with the swift strides Linton is making. Head Coach Matt Luke described Linton on Monday as a gifted athlete who the team "got on the bus" by getting him to campus, they just needed to put him in the right seat.
'
"He looks promising," Nix said. "He is athletic, fast, big and we are figuring out the little things like running with low pad level. He's picking up the offense well and working really hard at it."

Linton admits he has a lot to learn and has an entire offseason to do it. He's enjoying his new home and embracing the challenge.

"It's a new position so naturally it is going to be tough," Linton said. "Overall, I feel like I am grasping it pretty well. I try not to let my mind get too ahead of things. I am letting it come to me and not rushing anything. I am trying to be patient when I am back there. That is the main thing."

TrackBack URL: http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt5.2/mt-tb.cgi/63845