OXFORD, Miss. - The Ole Miss track & field and cross country programs will be bolstered by the addition of at least 25 new team members in the 2014 signing class, announced by head coach Brian O'Neal on Tuesday.
The Rebels' class includes athletes from 11 states and three foreign countries and consists of 12 men and 13 women.
"We're excited to have this group join Rebel Nation," said O'Neal, who is orchestrating his second recruiting class since taking over the reins of the program. "We expect these athletes to have an immediate impact on the program. It was our goal to fill in some areas of our team that will allow us to compete with the upper echelon of the Southeastern Conference. And we're not done recruiting, yet. This is just the beginning."
Among the men's signees are three student-athletes who have already enrolled at Ole Miss, including distance-running imports Daniel Bulmer (Australia) and Sean Tobin (Ireland) that have already been helping the Rebels break school records during the indoor season.
The men's class also includes three members of the 2014 football signing class in D.K. Buford (Oxford, Miss.) and twins A.J. and C.J. Moore (Bassfield, Miss.), who are currently completing their senior year of high school.
Among the top prospects that will join the Rebels next year are high school cross country All-American Taylor Caldwell (Brentwood, Tenn.) on the men's side, and standout multi-eventers Brooke Feldmeier (Olympia, Wash.) and Brittany Kelly (Clarksville, Tenn.) on the women's side.
O'Neal and his staff continue to add depth to the Ole Miss roster after last year's signing class that featured almost 50 student-athletes. This year's haul so far includes sprinters, multi-eventers, a thrower and a bevy of distance runners on both the men's and women's sides.
Below is a listing of the Rebels' signing class with some facts about each athlete.
• 2013 MHSAA 4A state champion in the 100m and 200m as a junior • PRs: 10.76 (100m), 21.80 (200m) • Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class (one of the nation's top-ranked high school running backs) • Also plays baseball at Lafayette and was his division's defensive player of the year as a centerfielder • His sister, Mariah Buford, is a member of the Ole Miss track team
*Daniel Bulmer | Distance | Gold Coast, Australia | Griffith University
• Enrolled at Ole Miss in January and is competing this indoor season • Represented Australia at the 2007 World Youth Olympics • PRs: 1:50.29 (800m), 3:45.15 (1500m), 8:14.87 (3K), 14:18 (5K)
Taylor Caldwell | Distance | Brentwood, Tenn. | Brentwood HS
• High school All-American in cross country • Placed 8th at the 2013 Nike Cross Nationals • 2013 Nike Cross Nationals Southeast Champion • Led Brentwood to three straight TSSAA Class 3A state titles in cross country • PRs: 4:16.68 (mile), 9:17.83 (3200m), 15:00.10 (5K XC)
• 2013 WVSSAC AA state cross country champion • Won the 2013 WVSSAC AA state title in the 1600m and 4x800m relay, while also placing top five in the 800m and 3200m • PRs: 4:23.36 (1600m), 9:29.18 (3200m)
^A.J. Moore | Sprints | Bassfield, Miss. | Bassfield HS
• 2013 MHSAA 2A state runner-up to current Rebel Kailo Moore in the 100m and 200m as a junior • Placed 3rd in the 200m at the 2012 state meet as a sophomore • PRs: 11.01 (100m), 22.04 (200m) • Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class • Twin brother of fellow Ole Miss track and football signee C.J. Moore
^C.J. Moore | Sprints | Bassfield, Miss. | Bassfield HS
• Placed 3rd in the 400m at the 2013 MHSAA 2A state meet as a junior • Placed 7th in the 200m at the 2011 state meet as a freshman • PRs: 51.45 (400m) • Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class • Twin brother of fellow Ole Miss track and football signee A.J. Moore
Mark Robertson | Distance | Pensacola, Fla. | Booker T. Washington HS
• Placed 7th in the 3200m at the FHSAA 3A state meet in 2013 • PRs: 9:32.86 (3200m), 15:28.09 (5K XC)
• Enrolled at Ole Miss in January and is competing this indoor season • Placed 9th at the 2013 European Cross Country Championships • 2011 and 2013 Irish National High School Cross Country Champion • Placed 4th in the 1500m at the 2013 European Junior Championships • Won the Irish National Championship in the 800m and 1500m • Competed in the 1500m at the 2012 IAAF World Junior Championships • PRs: 1:50.23 (800m), 3:45 (1500m), 8:29.91 (3K)
^ Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class * Already enrolled at Ole Miss
• Competed at the 2013 NXN National Championships as a member of the Louisville XC Club • Won the Kentucky 3A state title in the 3200m in 2013 • Placed 4th at the 2013 Kentucky 3A cross country championships in 2013 and 3rd in 2012 • Earned 14th place at the 2013 NXN Southeast Regional • Earned 12th place at the 2013 Great American XC Festival • PRs: 10:59.93 (3200m), 18:14.30 (5K XC)
Anna Braswell | Distance | Mobile, Ala. | St. Paul's Episcopal
• AHSAA 5A state champion in the 1600m and 3200m at the 2014 state indoor meet • Placed 3rd in the 800m at the 2014 state indoor meet • 2012 indoor state champion in the 800m • 2013 indoor state runner-up in the 1600m • PRs: 2:19.16 (800m), 5:16.79 (1600m), 11:32.40 (3200m) • High school teammate of current Rebel Margaret Harkness
Shelby Brown | Distance | Tempe, Ariz. | Xavier Prep
• Placed 3rd in the 1600m at the 2013 Arizona Division I State Championships • Placed 6th in the 3200m at the 2013 Arizona Division I State Championships • PRs: 4:54.71 (1600m), 11:02.42 (3200m), 18:00.30 (5K XC)
Jolie Carbo | Sprints | Jackson, Miss. | Terry HS
• Competed in the 400m at the 2011 and 2013 USATF National Junior Olympics • Runner-up to fellow Ole Miss signee Kyla Lewis in the 400m at the 2013 MHSAA 6A state meet • Helped Terry win 6A state titles in the 4x200m relay and 4x400m relay in 2013 • Placed 3rd in the 400m at the state meet her freshman year and 4th as a sophomore • PRs: 56.48 (400m) • High school teammate of fellow signee Porsha Shirley
• Runner-up at the 2012 and 2013 TSSAA A-AA state cross country meets • Earned 18th place at the 2013 NXN Southeast Regional • Earned 22nd place at the 2013 Great American XC Festival • PRs: 11:27.68 (3200m), 18:21.50 (5K XC)
• Competed in the heptathlon at the 2011 USATF Junior Olympics (2nd place), 2012 USATF Junior Olympics (3rd place) and the 2013 USATF Junior National Championships (10th place) • 2012 and 2013 Washington state heptathlon champion • Won class 2A WIAA state titles in the 100-meter hurdles and the 200 and 400 meters as a junior • Nationally ranked in the 400m during her junior season • PRs (all Tumwater school records): 24.80 (200m), 54.37 (400m), 14.43 (100mH), 45.25 (300mH), 5-5 (high jump), 4,917 (heptathlon)
Brittany Kelly | Multi-Events | Clarksville, Tenn. | Northeast HS
• Gatorade Track Athlete of the Year for Tennessee as a junior in 2013 • Named The Tennessean All-Midstate Track Athelte of the Year in 2013 and The Leaf-Chronicle Female Field Athlete and Female Track Athlete of the Year in 2012 and 2013 • Won TSSAA 3A state titles in the pentathlon, 100m hurdles, 300m hurdles and long jump in 2013 • Led Northeast to the TSSAA 3A team title in 2013 • Ranked nationally in the high jump and 100m hurdles during her junior year • PRs: 14.25 (100mH), 44.43 (300mH), 18-3.25 (long jump), 5-8 (high jump)
Kyla Lewis | Sprints | Jackson, Miss. | Murrah HS
• 2013 MHSAA 6A state champion in the 400m as a junior • Ran a leg of the state champion 4x200m relay team and helped Murrah win the 2012 MHSAA 6A team title as a sophomore • PRs: 25.75 (200m), 56.43 (400m) • High school teammate of current Rebels Asia Cooper and Arielle Wallace
• Runner-up at the 2013 FHSAA Class 4A Cross Country State Championships • Runner-up at the 2013 FACA All-Star cross country meet • Runner-up in the 1600m at the 2013 FHSAA 4A outdoor meet • PRs: 2:19.95 (800m), 5:05.32 (1600m), 18:19.00 (5K XC)
Maddy Nikkel | Distance | Clovis, Calif. | Buchanan HS
• Finished 31st at the 2013 California CIF state cross country meet • PRs: 2:13.64 (800m), 5:01.54 (1600m), 18:24 (5K XC)
Nicole Park | Distance | Virginia Beach, Va. | Ocean Lakes HS
• Earned 8th place at the 2013 NXN Southeast Regional • Finished 19th at the 2013 VHSL 6A state cross country meet • Placed 7th in the 1600m at the 2013 VHSL 3A state outdoor meet • PRs: 5:04.34 (mile), 10:41.51 (3200m)
Madison Rawson | Distance | Roseville, Calif. | St. Francis HS
• Finished 21st at the 2013 California CIF state cross country meet • Placed 5th at the 2013 Mt. SAC Cross Country Invitational • Earned 11th place at the 2013 Stanford Invitational • Helped St. Francis place top 10 at the cross country state meet for three straight years, including runner-up in 2012 as a junior • PRs: 5:06.61 (1600m), 10:59.85 (3200m), 18:05 (5K XC)
Porsha Shirley | Sprints | Jackson, Miss. | Terry HS
• Placed 3rd in the 200m at the 2013 MHSAA 6A state meet • Placed 5th in the 200m at the 2012 MHSAA 6A state meet • Helped Terry win 6A state titles in the 4x200m relay and 4x400m relay in 2013 • PRs: 24.69 (200m) • High school teammate of fellow signee Jolie Carbo
The goal from day one for head coach Steven McRoberts was to lead Ole Miss to its fourth NCAA Tournament appearance and its first since 2010. Entering the team's final two matches, McRoberts said he felt as though they were... read more
Battling injury, junior quarterback Dak Prescott came off the bench and helped rally Mississippi State to a come-from-behind 17-10 win in last year's Egg Bowl. He led a drive that ended with the game-tying field goal at 10-10 and then... read more
Head coach Hugh Freeze called the Egg Bowl the most prized possession of this university's football program, and getting the Egg Bowl back should be enough motivation for his team entering Saturday's game against Mississippi State. An Independence, Mississippi, native,... read more
Ole Miss Athletics Week in ReviewNov. 17-23, 2014Men's Basketball- Ole Miss posted a 2-0 mark last week with wins over Southern University and Northern Arizona as part of the Emerald Coast Classic, improving to 3-1 on the season.- Ole Miss... read more
Senior cornerback Senquez Golson, one of five finalists for the Bronco Nagurski Award, which honors the national defensive player of the year, will represent Ole Miss as one of 10 finalists for the C Spire Conerly Trophy, which honors the... read more
It's that busy time of the year with the Ole Miss football, volleyball, men's and women's basketball teams all in action. Here are some thoughts and opinions on the week that was in Ole Miss sports:- A slow start (17-0... read more
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas jumped out to a 17-0 in the first quarter and took advantage of six Ole Miss turnovers on the way to a 30-0 shutout win Saturday in Fayetteville."I was concerned all week, for whatever reason, that... read more
Three areas to watch as No. 8 Ole Miss travels to Arkansas in its final road game of the regular season Saturday. Slowing the Hogs' Ground Attack The extra week of preparation, defensive coordinator Dave Wommack said, should prove beneficial... read more
It's sometimes easy to forget where the Ole Miss football program was just three short years ago, when Hugh Freeze was interviewing for the head coaching position. The Rebels had won just two games in 2011 and had lost 14... read more
Ole Miss Athletics Week in ReviewNov. 10-16, 2014Women's Basketball- The Ole Miss women's basketball team opened up the 2014-15 season with two wins over the weekend. The Rebels took down Grambling 92-67 in the season opener on Friday and followed... read more
The Ole Miss football team was off, but it was a busy week in Ole Miss athletics nevertheless, as the men's and women's basketball teams opened their respective seasons. Here are some thoughts and opinions on the week that was:-... read more
No. 10 Ole Miss was without several starters and regular contributors against Presbyterian, and many others were limited. But given an extra week of rest, head coach Hugh Freeze said he expects everyone, with the exception of the players out... read more
Ole Miss Athletics Week in ReviewNov. 3-9, 2014Football- Ole Miss took a break from the rugged Southeastern Conference and earned a 48-0 shutout win over Presbyterian on Saturday.- It was the Rebels' first shutout since beating Tulane 39-0 in 2012.-... read more