OXFORD, Miss. - The Ole Miss track & field and cross country programs will be bolstered by the addition of at least 25 new team members in the 2014 signing class, announced by head coach Brian O'Neal on Tuesday.
The Rebels' class includes athletes from 11 states and three foreign countries and consists of 12 men and 13 women.
"We're excited to have this group join Rebel Nation," said O'Neal, who is orchestrating his second recruiting class since taking over the reins of the program. "We expect these athletes to have an immediate impact on the program. It was our goal to fill in some areas of our team that will allow us to compete with the upper echelon of the Southeastern Conference. And we're not done recruiting, yet. This is just the beginning."
Among the men's signees are three student-athletes who have already enrolled at Ole Miss, including distance-running imports Daniel Bulmer (Australia) and Sean Tobin (Ireland) that have already been helping the Rebels break school records during the indoor season.
The men's class also includes three members of the 2014 football signing class in D.K. Buford (Oxford, Miss.) and twins A.J. and C.J. Moore (Bassfield, Miss.), who are currently completing their senior year of high school.
Among the top prospects that will join the Rebels next year are high school cross country All-American Taylor Caldwell (Brentwood, Tenn.) on the men's side, and standout multi-eventers Brooke Feldmeier (Olympia, Wash.) and Brittany Kelly (Clarksville, Tenn.) on the women's side.
O'Neal and his staff continue to add depth to the Ole Miss roster after last year's signing class that featured almost 50 student-athletes. This year's haul so far includes sprinters, multi-eventers, a thrower and a bevy of distance runners on both the men's and women's sides.
Below is a listing of the Rebels' signing class with some facts about each athlete.
• 2013 MHSAA 4A state champion in the 100m and 200m as a junior • PRs: 10.76 (100m), 21.80 (200m) • Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class (one of the nation's top-ranked high school running backs) • Also plays baseball at Lafayette and was his division's defensive player of the year as a centerfielder • His sister, Mariah Buford, is a member of the Ole Miss track team
*Daniel Bulmer | Distance | Gold Coast, Australia | Griffith University
• Enrolled at Ole Miss in January and is competing this indoor season • Represented Australia at the 2007 World Youth Olympics • PRs: 1:50.29 (800m), 3:45.15 (1500m), 8:14.87 (3K), 14:18 (5K)
Taylor Caldwell | Distance | Brentwood, Tenn. | Brentwood HS
• High school All-American in cross country • Placed 8th at the 2013 Nike Cross Nationals • 2013 Nike Cross Nationals Southeast Champion • Led Brentwood to three straight TSSAA Class 3A state titles in cross country • PRs: 4:16.68 (mile), 9:17.83 (3200m), 15:00.10 (5K XC)
• 2013 WVSSAC AA state cross country champion • Won the 2013 WVSSAC AA state title in the 1600m and 4x800m relay, while also placing top five in the 800m and 3200m • PRs: 4:23.36 (1600m), 9:29.18 (3200m)
^A.J. Moore | Sprints | Bassfield, Miss. | Bassfield HS
• 2013 MHSAA 2A state runner-up to current Rebel Kailo Moore in the 100m and 200m as a junior • Placed 3rd in the 200m at the 2012 state meet as a sophomore • PRs: 11.01 (100m), 22.04 (200m) • Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class • Twin brother of fellow Ole Miss track and football signee C.J. Moore
^C.J. Moore | Sprints | Bassfield, Miss. | Bassfield HS
• Placed 3rd in the 400m at the 2013 MHSAA 2A state meet as a junior • Placed 7th in the 200m at the 2011 state meet as a freshman • PRs: 51.45 (400m) • Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class • Twin brother of fellow Ole Miss track and football signee A.J. Moore
Mark Robertson | Distance | Pensacola, Fla. | Booker T. Washington HS
• Placed 7th in the 3200m at the FHSAA 3A state meet in 2013 • PRs: 9:32.86 (3200m), 15:28.09 (5K XC)
• Enrolled at Ole Miss in January and is competing this indoor season • Placed 9th at the 2013 European Cross Country Championships • 2011 and 2013 Irish National High School Cross Country Champion • Placed 4th in the 1500m at the 2013 European Junior Championships • Won the Irish National Championship in the 800m and 1500m • Competed in the 1500m at the 2012 IAAF World Junior Championships • PRs: 1:50.23 (800m), 3:45 (1500m), 8:29.91 (3K)
^ Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class * Already enrolled at Ole Miss
• Competed at the 2013 NXN National Championships as a member of the Louisville XC Club • Won the Kentucky 3A state title in the 3200m in 2013 • Placed 4th at the 2013 Kentucky 3A cross country championships in 2013 and 3rd in 2012 • Earned 14th place at the 2013 NXN Southeast Regional • Earned 12th place at the 2013 Great American XC Festival • PRs: 10:59.93 (3200m), 18:14.30 (5K XC)
Anna Braswell | Distance | Mobile, Ala. | St. Paul's Episcopal
• AHSAA 5A state champion in the 1600m and 3200m at the 2014 state indoor meet • Placed 3rd in the 800m at the 2014 state indoor meet • 2012 indoor state champion in the 800m • 2013 indoor state runner-up in the 1600m • PRs: 2:19.16 (800m), 5:16.79 (1600m), 11:32.40 (3200m) • High school teammate of current Rebel Margaret Harkness
Shelby Brown | Distance | Tempe, Ariz. | Xavier Prep
• Placed 3rd in the 1600m at the 2013 Arizona Division I State Championships • Placed 6th in the 3200m at the 2013 Arizona Division I State Championships • PRs: 4:54.71 (1600m), 11:02.42 (3200m), 18:00.30 (5K XC)
Jolie Carbo | Sprints | Jackson, Miss. | Terry HS
• Competed in the 400m at the 2011 and 2013 USATF National Junior Olympics • Runner-up to fellow Ole Miss signee Kyla Lewis in the 400m at the 2013 MHSAA 6A state meet • Helped Terry win 6A state titles in the 4x200m relay and 4x400m relay in 2013 • Placed 3rd in the 400m at the state meet her freshman year and 4th as a sophomore • PRs: 56.48 (400m) • High school teammate of fellow signee Porsha Shirley
• Runner-up at the 2012 and 2013 TSSAA A-AA state cross country meets • Earned 18th place at the 2013 NXN Southeast Regional • Earned 22nd place at the 2013 Great American XC Festival • PRs: 11:27.68 (3200m), 18:21.50 (5K XC)
• Competed in the heptathlon at the 2011 USATF Junior Olympics (2nd place), 2012 USATF Junior Olympics (3rd place) and the 2013 USATF Junior National Championships (10th place) • 2012 and 2013 Washington state heptathlon champion • Won class 2A WIAA state titles in the 100-meter hurdles and the 200 and 400 meters as a junior • Nationally ranked in the 400m during her junior season • PRs (all Tumwater school records): 24.80 (200m), 54.37 (400m), 14.43 (100mH), 45.25 (300mH), 5-5 (high jump), 4,917 (heptathlon)
Brittany Kelly | Multi-Events | Clarksville, Tenn. | Northeast HS
• Gatorade Track Athlete of the Year for Tennessee as a junior in 2013 • Named The Tennessean All-Midstate Track Athelte of the Year in 2013 and The Leaf-Chronicle Female Field Athlete and Female Track Athlete of the Year in 2012 and 2013 • Won TSSAA 3A state titles in the pentathlon, 100m hurdles, 300m hurdles and long jump in 2013 • Led Northeast to the TSSAA 3A team title in 2013 • Ranked nationally in the high jump and 100m hurdles during her junior year • PRs: 14.25 (100mH), 44.43 (300mH), 18-3.25 (long jump), 5-8 (high jump)
Kyla Lewis | Sprints | Jackson, Miss. | Murrah HS
• 2013 MHSAA 6A state champion in the 400m as a junior • Ran a leg of the state champion 4x200m relay team and helped Murrah win the 2012 MHSAA 6A team title as a sophomore • PRs: 25.75 (200m), 56.43 (400m) • High school teammate of current Rebels Asia Cooper and Arielle Wallace
• Runner-up at the 2013 FHSAA Class 4A Cross Country State Championships • Runner-up at the 2013 FACA All-Star cross country meet • Runner-up in the 1600m at the 2013 FHSAA 4A outdoor meet • PRs: 2:19.95 (800m), 5:05.32 (1600m), 18:19.00 (5K XC)
Maddy Nikkel | Distance | Clovis, Calif. | Buchanan HS
• Finished 31st at the 2013 California CIF state cross country meet • PRs: 2:13.64 (800m), 5:01.54 (1600m), 18:24 (5K XC)
Nicole Park | Distance | Virginia Beach, Va. | Ocean Lakes HS
• Earned 8th place at the 2013 NXN Southeast Regional • Finished 19th at the 2013 VHSL 6A state cross country meet • Placed 7th in the 1600m at the 2013 VHSL 3A state outdoor meet • PRs: 5:04.34 (mile), 10:41.51 (3200m)
Madison Rawson | Distance | Roseville, Calif. | St. Francis HS
• Finished 21st at the 2013 California CIF state cross country meet • Placed 5th at the 2013 Mt. SAC Cross Country Invitational • Earned 11th place at the 2013 Stanford Invitational • Helped St. Francis place top 10 at the cross country state meet for three straight years, including runner-up in 2012 as a junior • PRs: 5:06.61 (1600m), 10:59.85 (3200m), 18:05 (5K XC)
Porsha Shirley | Sprints | Jackson, Miss. | Terry HS
• Placed 3rd in the 200m at the 2013 MHSAA 6A state meet • Placed 5th in the 200m at the 2012 MHSAA 6A state meet • Helped Terry win 6A state titles in the 4x200m relay and 4x400m relay in 2013 • PRs: 24.69 (200m) • High school teammate of fellow signee Jolie Carbo
Ole Miss began spring practice Tuesday, and for the first time under head coach Hugh Freeze, the Rebels will have a starting quarterback not named Bo Wallace. With the graduation of Wallace, sophomores Ryan Buchanan and DeVante Kincade, as well... read more
The Southeastern Conference announced today Kickoff '15, its annual football media days, will be held July 13-16, remaining at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham - Wynfrey Hotel in Hoover, Ala. The event will continue to be four days in 2015. The... read more
Ole Miss Athletics Week in ReviewFeb. 24-March 2, 2015Track & Field - Ole Miss got SEC titles from Jalen Miller (60m), Daniel Bulmer (mile) and the distance medley relay, and the Rebels achieved their best SEC indoor finish since 1984.... read more
The calendar turned to March, as the men's and women's basketball teams march toward the SEC Tournament and postseason play. The baseball team faced perhaps its biggest challenge of nonconference play. The softball and men's tennis teams each had another... read more
The numbers and bracket projections may not be in his favor at this point, but head women's basketball coach Matt Insell is selling the NCAA Tournament selection committee on his team passing the eye test, as Ole Miss enters its... read more
BATON ROUGE, La. -- With an opportunity to perhaps lock itself into the NCAA Tournament, or at the very least enhance its resume, Ole Miss lost back-to-back games for the first time all season, falling on the road at LSU... read more
Despite the most recent home loss to Georgia on Wednesday night, Ole Miss remains a team projected to be solidly in the field, as the Rebels put their school record four-game SEC road winning streak on the line when they... read more
Here's a collection of snow days photos from Ole Miss Athletics Photographer Josh McCoy (@OleMissPix):The Pavillion at Ole Miss in winter! #SnowDay2015 #WAOM @OleMissSports @OleMissMBB @OleMissWBB pic.twitter.com/nHyhVPlDvG-- OleMissPix (@OleMissPix) February 25, 2015 Awweeee.... #SnowDay2015 #WAOM @OleMissSports @OleMissFB pic.twitter.com/R1BDZ0shvS-- OleMissPix (@OleMissPix)... read more
If recent history is any indication, Ole Miss and Georgia are likely to go down to the wire on Wednesday night. Four of the last five meetings over the last three seasons have been decided by five points or less,... read more
The defensive backs, including former Ole Miss players Senquez Golson and Cody Prewitt, participated in on-field workouts at the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine on Monday in Indianapolis. Looking ahead, Ole Miss will hold its annual pro day on March 5... read more
Ole Miss Athletics Week in Review Feb. 17-23, 2015 Men's Basketball - Ole Miss posted a 2-0 mark last week with a 71-65 win at Mississippi State and a 59-57 victory over Tennessee. The Rebels improved to 10-4 in the... read more
Despite winter weather that affected many teams, it was a busy week for Ole Miss athletics. The men's basketball completed a 2-0 week and has positioned itself well entering the last two weeks of the regular season. The baseball, women's... read more
After missing the end of the 2013 season and the entire 2014 season due to recovery from a torn labrum, sophomore right-hander Brady Bramlett has been brilliant in his first two outings back in 2015, fanning 19 batters through 12.0... read more