OXFORD, Miss. - The Ole Miss track & field and cross country programs will be bolstered by the addition of at least 25 new team members in the 2014 signing class, announced by head coach Brian O'Neal on Tuesday.
The Rebels' class includes athletes from 11 states and three foreign countries and consists of 12 men and 13 women.
"We're excited to have this group join Rebel Nation," said O'Neal, who is orchestrating his second recruiting class since taking over the reins of the program. "We expect these athletes to have an immediate impact on the program. It was our goal to fill in some areas of our team that will allow us to compete with the upper echelon of the Southeastern Conference. And we're not done recruiting, yet. This is just the beginning."
Among the men's signees are three student-athletes who have already enrolled at Ole Miss, including distance-running imports Daniel Bulmer (Australia) and Sean Tobin (Ireland) that have already been helping the Rebels break school records during the indoor season.
The men's class also includes three members of the 2014 football signing class in D.K. Buford (Oxford, Miss.) and twins A.J. and C.J. Moore (Bassfield, Miss.), who are currently completing their senior year of high school.
Among the top prospects that will join the Rebels next year are high school cross country All-American Taylor Caldwell (Brentwood, Tenn.) on the men's side, and standout multi-eventers Brooke Feldmeier (Olympia, Wash.) and Brittany Kelly (Clarksville, Tenn.) on the women's side.
O'Neal and his staff continue to add depth to the Ole Miss roster after last year's signing class that featured almost 50 student-athletes. This year's haul so far includes sprinters, multi-eventers, a thrower and a bevy of distance runners on both the men's and women's sides.
Below is a listing of the Rebels' signing class with some facts about each athlete.
• 2013 MHSAA 4A state champion in the 100m and 200m as a junior • PRs: 10.76 (100m), 21.80 (200m) • Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class (one of the nation's top-ranked high school running backs) • Also plays baseball at Lafayette and was his division's defensive player of the year as a centerfielder • His sister, Mariah Buford, is a member of the Ole Miss track team
*Daniel Bulmer | Distance | Gold Coast, Australia | Griffith University
• Enrolled at Ole Miss in January and is competing this indoor season • Represented Australia at the 2007 World Youth Olympics • PRs: 1:50.29 (800m), 3:45.15 (1500m), 8:14.87 (3K), 14:18 (5K)
Taylor Caldwell | Distance | Brentwood, Tenn. | Brentwood HS
• High school All-American in cross country • Placed 8th at the 2013 Nike Cross Nationals • 2013 Nike Cross Nationals Southeast Champion • Led Brentwood to three straight TSSAA Class 3A state titles in cross country • PRs: 4:16.68 (mile), 9:17.83 (3200m), 15:00.10 (5K XC)
• 2013 WVSSAC AA state cross country champion • Won the 2013 WVSSAC AA state title in the 1600m and 4x800m relay, while also placing top five in the 800m and 3200m • PRs: 4:23.36 (1600m), 9:29.18 (3200m)
^A.J. Moore | Sprints | Bassfield, Miss. | Bassfield HS
• 2013 MHSAA 2A state runner-up to current Rebel Kailo Moore in the 100m and 200m as a junior • Placed 3rd in the 200m at the 2012 state meet as a sophomore • PRs: 11.01 (100m), 22.04 (200m) • Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class • Twin brother of fellow Ole Miss track and football signee C.J. Moore
^C.J. Moore | Sprints | Bassfield, Miss. | Bassfield HS
• Placed 3rd in the 400m at the 2013 MHSAA 2A state meet as a junior • Placed 7th in the 200m at the 2011 state meet as a freshman • PRs: 51.45 (400m) • Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class • Twin brother of fellow Ole Miss track and football signee A.J. Moore
Mark Robertson | Distance | Pensacola, Fla. | Booker T. Washington HS
• Placed 7th in the 3200m at the FHSAA 3A state meet in 2013 • PRs: 9:32.86 (3200m), 15:28.09 (5K XC)
• Enrolled at Ole Miss in January and is competing this indoor season • Placed 9th at the 2013 European Cross Country Championships • 2011 and 2013 Irish National High School Cross Country Champion • Placed 4th in the 1500m at the 2013 European Junior Championships • Won the Irish National Championship in the 800m and 1500m • Competed in the 1500m at the 2012 IAAF World Junior Championships • PRs: 1:50.23 (800m), 3:45 (1500m), 8:29.91 (3K)
^ Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class * Already enrolled at Ole Miss
• Competed at the 2013 NXN National Championships as a member of the Louisville XC Club • Won the Kentucky 3A state title in the 3200m in 2013 • Placed 4th at the 2013 Kentucky 3A cross country championships in 2013 and 3rd in 2012 • Earned 14th place at the 2013 NXN Southeast Regional • Earned 12th place at the 2013 Great American XC Festival • PRs: 10:59.93 (3200m), 18:14.30 (5K XC)
Anna Braswell | Distance | Mobile, Ala. | St. Paul's Episcopal
• AHSAA 5A state champion in the 1600m and 3200m at the 2014 state indoor meet • Placed 3rd in the 800m at the 2014 state indoor meet • 2012 indoor state champion in the 800m • 2013 indoor state runner-up in the 1600m • PRs: 2:19.16 (800m), 5:16.79 (1600m), 11:32.40 (3200m) • High school teammate of current Rebel Margaret Harkness
Shelby Brown | Distance | Tempe, Ariz. | Xavier Prep
• Placed 3rd in the 1600m at the 2013 Arizona Division I State Championships • Placed 6th in the 3200m at the 2013 Arizona Division I State Championships • PRs: 4:54.71 (1600m), 11:02.42 (3200m), 18:00.30 (5K XC)
Jolie Carbo | Sprints | Jackson, Miss. | Terry HS
• Competed in the 400m at the 2011 and 2013 USATF National Junior Olympics • Runner-up to fellow Ole Miss signee Kyla Lewis in the 400m at the 2013 MHSAA 6A state meet • Helped Terry win 6A state titles in the 4x200m relay and 4x400m relay in 2013 • Placed 3rd in the 400m at the state meet her freshman year and 4th as a sophomore • PRs: 56.48 (400m) • High school teammate of fellow signee Porsha Shirley
• Runner-up at the 2012 and 2013 TSSAA A-AA state cross country meets • Earned 18th place at the 2013 NXN Southeast Regional • Earned 22nd place at the 2013 Great American XC Festival • PRs: 11:27.68 (3200m), 18:21.50 (5K XC)
• Competed in the heptathlon at the 2011 USATF Junior Olympics (2nd place), 2012 USATF Junior Olympics (3rd place) and the 2013 USATF Junior National Championships (10th place) • 2012 and 2013 Washington state heptathlon champion • Won class 2A WIAA state titles in the 100-meter hurdles and the 200 and 400 meters as a junior • Nationally ranked in the 400m during her junior season • PRs (all Tumwater school records): 24.80 (200m), 54.37 (400m), 14.43 (100mH), 45.25 (300mH), 5-5 (high jump), 4,917 (heptathlon)
Brittany Kelly | Multi-Events | Clarksville, Tenn. | Northeast HS
• Gatorade Track Athlete of the Year for Tennessee as a junior in 2013 • Named The Tennessean All-Midstate Track Athelte of the Year in 2013 and The Leaf-Chronicle Female Field Athlete and Female Track Athlete of the Year in 2012 and 2013 • Won TSSAA 3A state titles in the pentathlon, 100m hurdles, 300m hurdles and long jump in 2013 • Led Northeast to the TSSAA 3A team title in 2013 • Ranked nationally in the high jump and 100m hurdles during her junior year • PRs: 14.25 (100mH), 44.43 (300mH), 18-3.25 (long jump), 5-8 (high jump)
Kyla Lewis | Sprints | Jackson, Miss. | Murrah HS
• 2013 MHSAA 6A state champion in the 400m as a junior • Ran a leg of the state champion 4x200m relay team and helped Murrah win the 2012 MHSAA 6A team title as a sophomore • PRs: 25.75 (200m), 56.43 (400m) • High school teammate of current Rebels Asia Cooper and Arielle Wallace
• Runner-up at the 2013 FHSAA Class 4A Cross Country State Championships • Runner-up at the 2013 FACA All-Star cross country meet • Runner-up in the 1600m at the 2013 FHSAA 4A outdoor meet • PRs: 2:19.95 (800m), 5:05.32 (1600m), 18:19.00 (5K XC)
Maddy Nikkel | Distance | Clovis, Calif. | Buchanan HS
• Finished 31st at the 2013 California CIF state cross country meet • PRs: 2:13.64 (800m), 5:01.54 (1600m), 18:24 (5K XC)
Nicole Park | Distance | Virginia Beach, Va. | Ocean Lakes HS
• Earned 8th place at the 2013 NXN Southeast Regional • Finished 19th at the 2013 VHSL 6A state cross country meet • Placed 7th in the 1600m at the 2013 VHSL 3A state outdoor meet • PRs: 5:04.34 (mile), 10:41.51 (3200m)
Madison Rawson | Distance | Roseville, Calif. | St. Francis HS
• Finished 21st at the 2013 California CIF state cross country meet • Placed 5th at the 2013 Mt. SAC Cross Country Invitational • Earned 11th place at the 2013 Stanford Invitational • Helped St. Francis place top 10 at the cross country state meet for three straight years, including runner-up in 2012 as a junior • PRs: 5:06.61 (1600m), 10:59.85 (3200m), 18:05 (5K XC)
Porsha Shirley | Sprints | Jackson, Miss. | Terry HS
• Placed 3rd in the 200m at the 2013 MHSAA 6A state meet • Placed 5th in the 200m at the 2012 MHSAA 6A state meet • Helped Terry win 6A state titles in the 4x200m relay and 4x400m relay in 2013 • PRs: 24.69 (200m) • High school teammate of fellow signee Jolie Carbo
Hugh Freeze and Ross Bjork embarked on the Rebel Road Trip, the baseball team claimed their weekend series over Alabama that featured the largest crowd of the season and the football program's NFL presence is expected to grow with the... read more
Ole Miss swept a doubleheader Saturday, defeating Alabama 10-2 in Game One and 4-0 in Game Two. As a pitching staff, the Rebels allowed just one earned run and scattered a combined 12 hits with 17 strikeouts compared to just... read more
Ole Miss head football coach Hugh Freeze will team with former All-SEC basketball player Sean Tuohy to represent the Rebels for the fourth straight year and compete for a share of the $520,000 total purse in the ninth annual Chick-fil-A... read more
Ole Miss Athletics Week in ReviewApril 14-20, 2015Men's Tennis- Ole Miss downed No. 22 Vanderbilt 4-1 to advance to the SEC Tournament semifinals for the 16th time in program history.- The Rebels rallied to take the doubles point and then got... read more
With a split of road matches at South Carolina and No. 8 Georgia, the Ole Miss men's tennis team moved up one spot to No. 13 in the nation entering the Southeastern Conference Men's Tennis Championship this week in College... read more
Ole Miss Athletics Week in Review April 7-13, 2015 Baseball - Ole Miss finished the week with a 2-2 mark to remain a .500 overall record for the season (18-18) as well as 7-8 in SEC play. After dropping a... read more
The baseball team claimed claimed their second series of the second over the nation's top-ranked team in dramatic fashion. The football team wrapped up spring practice. And the men's and women's tennis teams closed out their respective regular seasons and... read more
At one point, co-offensive coordinator Dan Werner said, all three quarterbacks had completed around 66 percent of their passes, a testament to how close the competition has been this spring. Going into the Grove Bowl, Freeze said one had a... read more
Former Ole Miss head coach Billy Brewer almost did not sign Chucky Mullins, whose memory has been honored with the Chucky Mullins Courage Award. Nate Wayne, a four-year letterman for the Rebels and the 1997 recipient of the award, who... read more
#RebelNation here are the Red and Blue rosters for tomorrow's Regions Bank Grove Bowl. See you there! pic.twitter.com/FZptUEkW4P-- Ole Miss Football (@OleMissFB) April 10, 2015 Three areas to watch as Ole Miss splits into two teams for the annual Regions... read more
Junior cornerback Tee Shepard's story has been well-documented. Shepard is hearing impaired, but since he has arrived at Ole Miss, he has been the beneficiary of new hearing technology that has allowed him to hear sounds, such as a coach's... read more