OXFORD, Miss. - The Ole Miss track & field and cross country programs will be bolstered by the addition of at least 25 new team members in the 2014 signing class, announced by head coach Brian O'Neal on Tuesday.
The Rebels' class includes athletes from 11 states and three foreign countries and consists of 12 men and 13 women.
"We're excited to have this group join Rebel Nation," said O'Neal, who is orchestrating his second recruiting class since taking over the reins of the program. "We expect these athletes to have an immediate impact on the program. It was our goal to fill in some areas of our team that will allow us to compete with the upper echelon of the Southeastern Conference. And we're not done recruiting, yet. This is just the beginning."
Among the men's signees are three student-athletes who have already enrolled at Ole Miss, including distance-running imports Daniel Bulmer (Australia) and Sean Tobin (Ireland) that have already been helping the Rebels break school records during the indoor season.
The men's class also includes three members of the 2014 football signing class in D.K. Buford (Oxford, Miss.) and twins A.J. and C.J. Moore (Bassfield, Miss.), who are currently completing their senior year of high school.
Among the top prospects that will join the Rebels next year are high school cross country All-American Taylor Caldwell (Brentwood, Tenn.) on the men's side, and standout multi-eventers Brooke Feldmeier (Olympia, Wash.) and Brittany Kelly (Clarksville, Tenn.) on the women's side.
O'Neal and his staff continue to add depth to the Ole Miss roster after last year's signing class that featured almost 50 student-athletes. This year's haul so far includes sprinters, multi-eventers, a thrower and a bevy of distance runners on both the men's and women's sides.
Below is a listing of the Rebels' signing class with some facts about each athlete.
• 2013 MHSAA 4A state champion in the 100m and 200m as a junior • PRs: 10.76 (100m), 21.80 (200m) • Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class (one of the nation's top-ranked high school running backs) • Also plays baseball at Lafayette and was his division's defensive player of the year as a centerfielder • His sister, Mariah Buford, is a member of the Ole Miss track team
*Daniel Bulmer | Distance | Gold Coast, Australia | Griffith University
• Enrolled at Ole Miss in January and is competing this indoor season • Represented Australia at the 2007 World Youth Olympics • PRs: 1:50.29 (800m), 3:45.15 (1500m), 8:14.87 (3K), 14:18 (5K)
Taylor Caldwell | Distance | Brentwood, Tenn. | Brentwood HS
• High school All-American in cross country • Placed 8th at the 2013 Nike Cross Nationals • 2013 Nike Cross Nationals Southeast Champion • Led Brentwood to three straight TSSAA Class 3A state titles in cross country • PRs: 4:16.68 (mile), 9:17.83 (3200m), 15:00.10 (5K XC)
• 2013 WVSSAC AA state cross country champion • Won the 2013 WVSSAC AA state title in the 1600m and 4x800m relay, while also placing top five in the 800m and 3200m • PRs: 4:23.36 (1600m), 9:29.18 (3200m)
^A.J. Moore | Sprints | Bassfield, Miss. | Bassfield HS
• 2013 MHSAA 2A state runner-up to current Rebel Kailo Moore in the 100m and 200m as a junior • Placed 3rd in the 200m at the 2012 state meet as a sophomore • PRs: 11.01 (100m), 22.04 (200m) • Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class • Twin brother of fellow Ole Miss track and football signee C.J. Moore
^C.J. Moore | Sprints | Bassfield, Miss. | Bassfield HS
• Placed 3rd in the 400m at the 2013 MHSAA 2A state meet as a junior • Placed 7th in the 200m at the 2011 state meet as a freshman • PRs: 51.45 (400m) • Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class • Twin brother of fellow Ole Miss track and football signee A.J. Moore
Mark Robertson | Distance | Pensacola, Fla. | Booker T. Washington HS
• Placed 7th in the 3200m at the FHSAA 3A state meet in 2013 • PRs: 9:32.86 (3200m), 15:28.09 (5K XC)
• Enrolled at Ole Miss in January and is competing this indoor season • Placed 9th at the 2013 European Cross Country Championships • 2011 and 2013 Irish National High School Cross Country Champion • Placed 4th in the 1500m at the 2013 European Junior Championships • Won the Irish National Championship in the 800m and 1500m • Competed in the 1500m at the 2012 IAAF World Junior Championships • PRs: 1:50.23 (800m), 3:45 (1500m), 8:29.91 (3K)
^ Member of the 2014 Ole Miss football signing class * Already enrolled at Ole Miss
• Competed at the 2013 NXN National Championships as a member of the Louisville XC Club • Won the Kentucky 3A state title in the 3200m in 2013 • Placed 4th at the 2013 Kentucky 3A cross country championships in 2013 and 3rd in 2012 • Earned 14th place at the 2013 NXN Southeast Regional • Earned 12th place at the 2013 Great American XC Festival • PRs: 10:59.93 (3200m), 18:14.30 (5K XC)
Anna Braswell | Distance | Mobile, Ala. | St. Paul's Episcopal
• AHSAA 5A state champion in the 1600m and 3200m at the 2014 state indoor meet • Placed 3rd in the 800m at the 2014 state indoor meet • 2012 indoor state champion in the 800m • 2013 indoor state runner-up in the 1600m • PRs: 2:19.16 (800m), 5:16.79 (1600m), 11:32.40 (3200m) • High school teammate of current Rebel Margaret Harkness
Shelby Brown | Distance | Tempe, Ariz. | Xavier Prep
• Placed 3rd in the 1600m at the 2013 Arizona Division I State Championships • Placed 6th in the 3200m at the 2013 Arizona Division I State Championships • PRs: 4:54.71 (1600m), 11:02.42 (3200m), 18:00.30 (5K XC)
Jolie Carbo | Sprints | Jackson, Miss. | Terry HS
• Competed in the 400m at the 2011 and 2013 USATF National Junior Olympics • Runner-up to fellow Ole Miss signee Kyla Lewis in the 400m at the 2013 MHSAA 6A state meet • Helped Terry win 6A state titles in the 4x200m relay and 4x400m relay in 2013 • Placed 3rd in the 400m at the state meet her freshman year and 4th as a sophomore • PRs: 56.48 (400m) • High school teammate of fellow signee Porsha Shirley
• Runner-up at the 2012 and 2013 TSSAA A-AA state cross country meets • Earned 18th place at the 2013 NXN Southeast Regional • Earned 22nd place at the 2013 Great American XC Festival • PRs: 11:27.68 (3200m), 18:21.50 (5K XC)
• Competed in the heptathlon at the 2011 USATF Junior Olympics (2nd place), 2012 USATF Junior Olympics (3rd place) and the 2013 USATF Junior National Championships (10th place) • 2012 and 2013 Washington state heptathlon champion • Won class 2A WIAA state titles in the 100-meter hurdles and the 200 and 400 meters as a junior • Nationally ranked in the 400m during her junior season • PRs (all Tumwater school records): 24.80 (200m), 54.37 (400m), 14.43 (100mH), 45.25 (300mH), 5-5 (high jump), 4,917 (heptathlon)
Brittany Kelly | Multi-Events | Clarksville, Tenn. | Northeast HS
• Gatorade Track Athlete of the Year for Tennessee as a junior in 2013 • Named The Tennessean All-Midstate Track Athelte of the Year in 2013 and The Leaf-Chronicle Female Field Athlete and Female Track Athlete of the Year in 2012 and 2013 • Won TSSAA 3A state titles in the pentathlon, 100m hurdles, 300m hurdles and long jump in 2013 • Led Northeast to the TSSAA 3A team title in 2013 • Ranked nationally in the high jump and 100m hurdles during her junior year • PRs: 14.25 (100mH), 44.43 (300mH), 18-3.25 (long jump), 5-8 (high jump)
Kyla Lewis | Sprints | Jackson, Miss. | Murrah HS
• 2013 MHSAA 6A state champion in the 400m as a junior • Ran a leg of the state champion 4x200m relay team and helped Murrah win the 2012 MHSAA 6A team title as a sophomore • PRs: 25.75 (200m), 56.43 (400m) • High school teammate of current Rebels Asia Cooper and Arielle Wallace
• Runner-up at the 2013 FHSAA Class 4A Cross Country State Championships • Runner-up at the 2013 FACA All-Star cross country meet • Runner-up in the 1600m at the 2013 FHSAA 4A outdoor meet • PRs: 2:19.95 (800m), 5:05.32 (1600m), 18:19.00 (5K XC)
Maddy Nikkel | Distance | Clovis, Calif. | Buchanan HS
• Finished 31st at the 2013 California CIF state cross country meet • PRs: 2:13.64 (800m), 5:01.54 (1600m), 18:24 (5K XC)
Nicole Park | Distance | Virginia Beach, Va. | Ocean Lakes HS
• Earned 8th place at the 2013 NXN Southeast Regional • Finished 19th at the 2013 VHSL 6A state cross country meet • Placed 7th in the 1600m at the 2013 VHSL 3A state outdoor meet • PRs: 5:04.34 (mile), 10:41.51 (3200m)
Madison Rawson | Distance | Roseville, Calif. | St. Francis HS
• Finished 21st at the 2013 California CIF state cross country meet • Placed 5th at the 2013 Mt. SAC Cross Country Invitational • Earned 11th place at the 2013 Stanford Invitational • Helped St. Francis place top 10 at the cross country state meet for three straight years, including runner-up in 2012 as a junior • PRs: 5:06.61 (1600m), 10:59.85 (3200m), 18:05 (5K XC)
Porsha Shirley | Sprints | Jackson, Miss. | Terry HS
• Placed 3rd in the 200m at the 2013 MHSAA 6A state meet • Placed 5th in the 200m at the 2012 MHSAA 6A state meet • Helped Terry win 6A state titles in the 4x200m relay and 4x400m relay in 2013 • PRs: 24.69 (200m) • High school teammate of fellow signee Jolie Carbo
Not only will Saturday's matchup between No. 4 Auburn and No. 7 Ole Miss feature the first-ever meeting of top-10 team in Oxford, but it will feature half of the top four of the College Football Playoff Top 25 rankings... read more
Ole Miss Athletics Week in ReviewOct. 20-26, 2014Football- Ole Miss took its first loss of the season with a 10-7 defeat to No. 23 LSU in Baton Rouge.- The Rebels held LSU to 10 points and created four turnovers (two... read more
In this week's edition of Observations from the Best Seat in the House, Metz Camfield and I teamed up to give you our thoughts and opinions of the week that was in Ole Miss athletics. I was able to travel... read more
BATON ROUGE, La. -- Ole Miss had its chances. The Ole Miss defense made seven points stand up for the better part of four quarters, forcing four turnovers and limiting LSU to just three points on its first three trips... read more
Three areas to watch as No. 3 Ole Miss travels to No. 23 LSU for an SEC West Showdown on Saturday. Stopping The Run Not just this year, but throughout head coach Les Miles' tenure, LSU's running game has been... read more
Ahead of a rivalry renewed on a national stage, complete with a visit of ESPN's "College GameDay" and the mystique of a Saturday night game in Death Valley, here's link roundup of videos and stories from local and national media... read more
Extra Emphasis on Special Teams Play Through the years, special teams play has provided a winning edge in the Ole Miss-LSU rivalry, and and you don't have to go all the way back to Billy Cannon's 1959 Halloween run. In... read more
Highlights from Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze and LSU head coach Les Miles on the SEC teleconference Wednesday, ahead of Saturday's game in Baton Rouge.For the full SEC teleconference, go here.Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze (starts at 1:06:12... read more
Ole Miss Athletics Week in ReviewOct. 13-19, 2014Football- Ole Miss rode its dominant defense to a 34-3 homecoming win over Tennessee on Saturday to improve to 7-0 overall and 4-0 in Southeastern Conference play.- The Rebels are 7-0 for just... read more
It's Sunday, so that means it's time for this week's Observations from the Best Seat in the House. There was no shortage of observations surrounding the Homecoming festivities this weekend. Let's get into it:1. When "College GameDay" visits Baton Rouge,... read more
The winning formula revealed itself as it has throughout the season: a dominant defense and a mistake-free offense. The Ole Miss defense forced four turnovers, while the Ole Miss offense did not commit a single turnover in a workmanlike 34-3... read more
Three areas to watch as No. 3 Ole Miss faces Tennessee for Homecoming on Saturday.'Third Down for What'Tennessee is very dangerous, Ole Miss football head coach Hugh Freeze said, because its talented, particularly if it gets momentum and confidence during... read more