Lindsey Murray (photo by Rob Foldy)
June 7, 2016
NCAA Championships Central | Meet Schedule | Live Results
Ole Miss Meet Notes
OXFORD, Miss. – Connie Price-Smith’s track & field squad will look to complete the 2015-16 Ole Miss athletics year in strong fashion as the Rebels compete at this week’s NCAA Outdoor Championships in Eugene, Oregon.
Seven members of the 18th-ranked Ole Miss men’s team and six Rebel women will line up against the best of the best Wednesday-Saturday at historic Hayward Field in Track Town USA. The men will compete on Wednesday and Friday, while the women will be in action Thursday and Saturday.
Live coverage of the championships is as follows:
- Wednesday, June 8 – 2:30-10:30 p.m. CT – ESPN3/WatchESPN
- Wednesday, June 8 – 6:30-7:30 p.m. CT – ESPNU or ESPN2
- Wednesday, June 8 – 7:30-10 p.m. CT – ESPN2 or ESPN
- Thursday, June 9 – 12:30-10:30 p.m. CT – ESPN3/WatchESPN
- Thursday, June 9 – 6:30-7 p.m. CT – ESPNU
- Thursday, June 9 – 7-9:30 p.m. CT – ESPN
- Friday, June 10 – 2:30-10 p.m. CT – ESPN3/WatchESPN
- Friday, June 10 – 7:30-10 p.m. CT – ESPN
- Saturday, June 11 – 1:30-8 p.m. CT – ESPN3/WatchESPN
- Saturday, June 11 – 5:30-8 p.m. CT – ESPN
Highlighting the Ole Miss contingent are defending women’s national shot put champion Raven Saunders and Craig Engels, who ranks third among NCAA men in the 1500 meters this year. Complete schedule of Ole Miss athletes in the national semifinals and finals is below.
4:00 p.m. CT – M Hammer Throw – Flight 2: Dempsey McGuigan
6:46 p.m. CT – M 1500m Semifinals – Heat 1: Robert Domanic, Craig Engels
7:02 p.m. CT – M 3000m Steeple Semifinals – Heat 1: MJ Erb
8:14 p.m. CT – M 800m Semifinals – Heat 1: Holland Sherrer
6:32 p.m. CT – W 4x100 Semifinals – Heat 3: Ole Miss (Nicole Henderson, Shannon Ray, Breanna Tate, Khadijah Suleman)
7:00 p.m. CT – W Pole Vault – Lindsey Murray
8:30 p.m. CT – W Shot Put – Flight 2: Raven Saunders
7:00 p.m. CT – M High Jump – Branden Greene
7:42 p.m. CT – M 1500m Final (if qualified) – Robert Domanic, Craig Engels
7:54 p.m. CT – M 3000m Steeple Final (if qualified) – MJ Erb
8:47 p.m. CT – M 800m Final (if qualified) – Holland Sherrer
9:25 p.m. CT – M 5000m Final – Ryan Walling
5:32 p.m. CT – W 4x100m Relay Final (if qualified) – Ole Miss (Henderson, Ray, Tate, Suleman)
Head Coach Connie Price-Smith Says:
“We’re excited to be here, and I look forward to watching all of the athletes compete. It should be a good four days!”
• This is the inaugural season of the Connie Price-Smith era at Ole Miss ... Price-Smith was a four-time U.S. Olympian in the throws (shot put, discus) and will coach the U.S. women at this summer’s Rio Olympics.
• The totals of 13 Ole Miss athletes and 10 entries in Eugene both rank fourth-most in program history.
• The Rebels are represented by seven men and six women at the NCAA Outdoor Championships.
• The Ole Miss men are 18th in the current USTFCCCA Men’s National Rankings.
• Athletes who finish 1-8 at the championships are crowned USTFCCCA first team All-Americans, while those who finish 9-16 are second team All-Americans.
• Repeat NCAA Outdoor Championship participants are Robert Domanic, Craig Engels, Branden Greene, Holland Sherrer, Nicole Henderson, Shannon Ray, Khadijah Suleman and Raven Saunders (won the NCAA outdoor shot put title while at Southern Illinois last year).
• First-time NCAA Outdoor participants are MJ Erb, Dempsey McGuigan, Ryan Walling, Lindsey Murray and Breanna Tate.
• Of the 13 Rebels in Eugene, there are four seniors, two juniors and seven sophomores.
• McGuigan is the first man in school history to qualify for NCAAs in the hammer throw.
• Saunders is the first woman in school history to qualify for NCAAs in the shot put.
• The Rebels’ 33 entries and 32 athletes at the 2016 NCAA East Preliminary were the most in program history since the NCAA adopted the current regional format in 2010.
• Saunders is the 2016 SEC indoor and outdoor shot put champion and won both NCAA shot put titles last year.
• Saunders has set school records in the shot (18.75m/61-6.25 - No. 1 in NCAA) and discus (56.85m/186-6).
• Saunders has the best indoor and outdoor shot put marks ever by an SEC woman.
• This is the second straight year that Ole Miss has sent two men’s 1500m runners to Eugene ... Last year it was Domanic and Trevor Gilley.
• Rebels in Eugene who have broken school records in 2016 include Engels (men’s 1500m - 3:38.82), McGuigan (men’s hammer - 69.90m/229-4), Murray (women’s pole vault - 4.34m/14-2.75) and Saunders (women’s shot and discus).
• Last year, Ole Miss produced school records with 14 qualifiers and 17 athletes making it to Eugene, which led to a school-record nine outdoor All-Americans.
• Three Ole Miss Rebels were crowned SEC outdoor champions in Tuscaloosa: Engels (men’s 1500m), Greene (men’s high jump) and Saunders (women’s shot put).
For more information on Ole Miss Track & Field, follow the Rebels on Twitter at @OleMissTrack, as well as Facebook and Instagram.