May 31, 2014
Final Stats |
NCAA OXFORD REGIONAL
GAME 2: OLE MISS 12, JACKSONVILLE STATE 2
MAY 31, 2014
Ole Miss vs. Jacksonville State Postgame Notes
OLE MISS NOTES
• This is the Rebels’ 19th postseason appearance and 12th under head coach Mike Bianco. Ole Miss improved its all-time NCAA record to 46-39.
• Ole Miss is hosting its sixth NCAA Regional and first since 2009. The Rebels have now won five straight regional-opening games.
• With the win, Ole Miss will now face Washington at 3 p.m. for an opportunity to advance to the regional championship game.
• Ole Miss is now 4-0 all-time against Jacksonville State.
• The Rebels’ 12 runs were their most in an NCAA Tournament game since scoring 16 vs. St. John’s in the 2010 Charlottesville Regional, and the most in a winning effort
since scoring 14 vs. Bethune-Cookman in 2008.
• Every Ole Miss starter recorded a hit.
• Junior 1B Sikes Orvis went 3-for-4 with two runs, five RBIs, a double and a home run. He increased his team-high HR total to 13 and his RBI total to 47.
• With the victory, junior RHP Chris Ellis improved to 10-1 this season. His 10 wins are tied for the fourth-most in a season all-time at Ole Miss.
• Ellis posted his second complete game of the year (CG SO vs. Georgia State on Feb. 21).
• Senior C Will Allen drove in his 59th run of the year, which moves him into the top 10 in school history for a season.
• Junior OF Braxton Lee swiped his 30th base of the year, which ranks fourth-most in school history for a season.
• The Rebels batted around in the first inning and scored five runs, tied for the most in the first inning of a game this season (also scored five vs. UALR on March 8).
• The five first-inning runs were the Rebels’ most in an NCAA Tournament game since scoring six against Sam Houston State in the 2007 Oxford Regional.
JACKSONVILLE STATE NOTES
• Jacksonville State drops to an overall record of 0-7 in the NCAA Tournament since becoming a Division I school in 1995.
• With the loss, JSU will now face Georgia Tech in an elimination game Sunday at 11 a.m.
• The Gamecocks fall to an all-time record of 1-10 against teams playing in the Oxford Regional.
• The loss against Ole Miss snaps a six-game winning streak that started last week during the OVC Tournament.
• Jacksonville State now has 650 hits in the 2014 season, currently tied for the school record.
• Senior OF Griff Gordon went 2-for-4 against Ole Miss and currently has 98 hits during the 2014 season, breaking Clay Whittemore’s school record of 96 hits in 2008.
• Junior RHP Zachery Fowler recorded his 17th start tonight against Ole Miss, tying for second-best in school history.