Feb. 20, 2014
Game Notes vs. GSU
Ole Miss (4-0) vs. Georgia State (3-1)
Date: Feb. 21-23, 2014
Location: Oxford, Miss.
Venue: Oxford-University Stadium/Swayze Field
Series: First Meeting
In Oxford: First Meeting
Radio: Ole Miss Baseball Network
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Live Video: www.WatchRebelVision.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
• The Rebels will be featured on television nine times this season, including two ESPNU broadcasts, five
• Ole Miss is coming off a series sweep on the road at Stetson this past weekend, winning 7-0, 11-1 and
• Will Allen was named SEC Player of the Week after hitting .545 with 10 RBI, three runs scored and two
• Chris Ellis worked a career-long 6.0 innings against Stetson in the opener, leading the Rebels to a
shutout win Friday.
• Nine players made their Rebel debut on the opening weekend, including seven freshmen and two
• Ole Miss now kicked off a 13-game home stand with a 6-0 victory over Tennessee-Martin on
• The Rebels return 11 pitchers who saw action in 2013, combining for 174 appearances and 277.2
innings of work.
• Ole Miss has posted two shutouts in four outings with Rebel pitching staff holding a 0.75 ERA entering
• The Rebels are hitting at a .340 clip on the season with six home runs and 26 RBI; averaging 8 runs
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
FRIDAY, 4:00 PM
GSU - Nathan Bates, So., RHP
OLE MISS - Chris Ellis, Jr., RHP
• Ellis made his first Friday start of his career last weekend in the season-opening game at Stetson.
• The junior worked a career-long 6.0 innings in the start, pitching the first shutout of his career.
• Ellis tallied 6.0 IP with a pair of walks and four strikeouts in his last outing and held SU to four hits.
• The shutout of Stetson was the third combined shutout of Ellis' career who had two as a freshman.
SATURDAY 1:30 PM
GSU - Andrew Fessler, Sr., LHP
OLE MISS - Christian Trent, So., LHP
• Trent makes his second Saturday start of the season when he takes the mound vs. GSU this weekend.
• The sophomore worked 6.0 innings in the start last weekend with 6 strikeouts and no walks vs. SU.
• Trent holds hitters to a .150 batting average against, allowing only three hits at Stetson in his debut.
• Allowed one run at Stetson after a hit batter and a double provided the only run of the game for SU.
SUNDAY, 1:30 PM
GSU - Matt Rose, So. RHP
OLE MISS - Sam Smith, Jr., RHP
• Smith continues to anchor the final spot in the weekend rotation for the Rebels in his junior season.
• Turned in 5.0 IP in his season debut at Stetson, holding the Hatters off the board with only two hits.
• Smith has only taken one loss in his last 17 starts for the Rebels across the last two seasons.
• Made 14 of his 15 starts as the third part of the weekend rotation last year as a sophomore.
REBELS vs. GEORGIA STATE
Ole Miss and Georgia State will face off for the first time in the history of the two programs when the two teams take the field this weekend. It isn't a first meeting with an SEC team for the Panthers, who defeated Georgia 10-7 last season.
A LOOK AT GEORGIA STATE
The Panthers of Georgia State enter the weekend with an overall record of 3-1 on the season after picking up a series win over Illinois at home last weekend and a midweek road game over Savannah State on Tuesday night.
• Georgia State hits at a .384 clip on the year with five home runs and 34 RBI through four games.
• Chris Triplett leads the way with a .471 average, a home run and seven RBI through four starts.
• Nine Panther batters are hitting at a .300 clip or above early in the season, accounting for 33 RBI.
• As a pitching staff, GSU holds a 5.84 ERA with 35 runs scored on 46 hits - 24 of the runs are earned.
• Reliver Jerry Stuckey (2-0) has two wins in relief with 4.0 IP and has not allowed a run or hit.
• Georgia State's starters in the weekend rotation have not taken a decision this season in 14.0 IP.
ALLEN NAMED SEC PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Ole Miss got its first SEC Player of the Week selection on the opening week of play when the league office tabbed senior catcher Will Allen for the honor. Allen hit .545 in the series at Stetson with 10 RBI through 11 at bats and two home runs to help pace the Ole Miss offense against the Hatters. He tallied five RBI in the second game of the series on a 2-for-3 performance and four RBI on a 3-for-4 performance Sunday in the series finale.
REBELS ENJOY HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE UNDER BIANCO
Ole Miss has enjoyed success on the home field under head coach Mike Bianco over the course of 14 seasons. The excitement and energy generated by Rebel fans has helped the squad post a record of 331-125-1 at Swayze Field for a .725 winning percentage in that time.