Errol Robinson and the Rebels host ULM in a pair of midweek games.
Feb. 24, 2014
Game Notes vs. ULM
#24 Ole Miss (6-1) vs. Louisiana-Monroe (4-3)
Date: Feb. 25-26, 2014
Location: Oxford, Miss.
Venue: Oxford-University Stadium/Swayze Field
Series: Ole Miss leads 28-10-1
In Oxford: Ole Miss leads 16-5
Radio: Ole Miss Baseball Network
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Live Video: www.WatchRebelVision.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
• Ole Miss is coming off a series win over Georgia State with a 3-0 win and a 9-1 win before falling 6-4
• Junior RHP Chris Ellis pitched a complete-game shutout of the Panthers on Friday, his first career
• The Rebel pitching staff has turned in three shutouts through seven games this season with a 1.43
• Ole Miss is batting at a .331 clip, the top average in the SEC through two weeks of play and is paced
by Will Allen.
• Allen leads the Rebels with a .429 average, two home runs and has tallied 13 RBI through the first
• The eight home runs Ole Miss holds as a team is tied with South Carolina for tops in the Southeastern
• Ole Miss has sent 15 pitchers to the mound this season, including five newcomers (three freshmen,
• Seven Rebels are hitting above the .300 mark this season, including six players hitting above .370 on
• The Rebel pitching staff has held opponents to a .190 batting average against and surrender one run
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
TUESDAY, 4:00 PM
ULM - Alex Hermeling, Soph. RHP
Ole Miss - Jacob Waguespack, Soph., RHP
• Waguespack makes his second start of the year after picking up the win vs. UT-Martin on Wednesday.
• Worked 4.0 scoreless innings with two hits, three walks and two strikeouts against the Skyhawks.
• Win came in a predetermined start, operating on a pitch count and planned use of mulitple pitchers.
• Six appearances as a freshman with two starts - at So. Miss and Alabama in the SEC Tournament.
WEDNESDAY 4:00 PM
ULM - Jared Dye, Sr., RHP
Ole Miss - TBA
REBELS vs. ULM
Ole Miss and the Warhawks of Louisiana-Monroe have faced off 39 times with the Rebels holding a 28-10-1 lead in the all-time series.
• The two teams first met in 1968 with the Rebels picking up a 6-4 win at a tournament in Baton Rouge.
• Ole Miss faced ULM in Oxford for the first time in 1975, taking both games of a two-game series.
• The Rebels are 16-5 all-time in Oxford vs. the Warhawks and last hosted ULM to in the 2010 season.
• Ole Miss and ULM played two games last year in Monroe - a 10-4 and an 8-3 win for the Rebels.
A LOOK AT LOUISIANA-MONROE
The Warhawks of Louisiana-Monroe enter the midweek series with the Rebels coming off a 2-1 weekend with a pair of wins over Western Illinois and dropping a decision at Nicholls State at the Carmel Inn Showdown in Thibodaux, Louisiana. ULM is 4-3 on the season.
• ULM opened the year with a series win over Grand Canyon State before the 2-1 weekend at Nicholls.
• The Warhawks hit at a .223 clip this season with three home runs and 18 RBI as a team.
• Jacob Stockton leads all regular starters with .348 average and five runs scored on the season.
• As a pitching staff, the Warhawks hold a 3.09 ERA and 28 BB and 56 strikeouts on the year.
• Alex Hermeling has 6.0 IP on the year with three walks, three strikeouts and a 0.00 ERA
• Jared Dye has one appearance, allowing a run, a walk and a strikeout in 0.1 innings of work this year.
REBEL PITCHERS LIMIT OPPORTUNITIES
Ole Miss’ pitching staff turned in a solid opening weekend, holding the Stetson Hatters to three runs on the weekend series and limiting offensive opportunities for the Hatters. Rebel pitchers allowed only 14 hits on the weekend and posted the first shutout of the season on opening day with a 7-0 victory. The Rebel pitching staff also struck out 24 batters through the three-game series with only seven walks.
Through two weekends of play, the Rebels have allowed 10 runs (just more than one run a game) in 64.0 innings of work. In that time, the Rebels have posted three shutouts and two games with only one run allowed.
ELLIS TALLIES COMPLETE-GAME SHUTOUT
Junior right-hander Chris Ellis joined a group of Rebels to pitch a complete-game in the opener against Georgia State when he tossed a shutout of the Panthers. Ellis scattered five hits over the nine innings and allowed no walks in the outing. It marked the first complete-game of his career and comes after turning in a long outing of 4.1 innings prior to this season.
REBELS ENJOY HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE UNDER BIANCO
Ole Miss has enjoyed success on the home field under head coach Mike Bianco over the course of 14 seasons. The excitement and energy generated by Rebel fans has helped the squad post a record of 333-126-1 at Swayze Field for a .725 winning percentage in that time.