Feb. 27, 2014
Game Notes vs. UCF
#24 Ole Miss (8-1) vs. UCF (6-2)
Date: Feb. 28 - March 2, 2014
Location: Oxford, Miss.
Venue: Oxford-University Stadium/Swayze Field
Series: First Meeting
In Oxford: First Meeting
Radio: Ole Miss Baseball Network
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Live Video: www.WatchRebelVision.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
• Ole Miss enters the weekend after taking two come-from-behind wins over ULM on Tuesday and
• Junior RHP Chris Ellis pitched a complete-game shutout of the Panthers on Friday, his first career
• The Rebel pitching staff has turned in three shutouts through nine games this season with a 1.67 staff
• Ole Miss has gotten stellar outings from its weekend starters, including four games with only two
• Sikes Orvis has surged to the top of the offense, hitting at a .387 clip through the first nine games
• The Rebels are 18-for-23 in steal attempts through nine games, outpacing last year's 13-for-16 start
• Ole Miss has sent 15 pitchers to the mound this season, including five newcomers (three freshmen,
• Nine Rebels who are regulars in the starting lineup are hitting above the .333 mark on the year.
• The Rebel pitching staff has held foes to a .174 batting average against and surrender under two runs
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
FRIDAY, 6:30 PM
UCF - Eric Skoglund, Jr., LHP
Ole Miss - Chris Ellis, Jr., RHP
• Ellis makes his third Friday night start of his career when he takes the mound against UCF on Friday.
• The RHP is coming off a complete-game shutout of Georgia State last weekend, the first of his career.
• Ellis now hastwo shutouts in his first two starts of the season and holds a .180 batting avg. against.
• The junior has two walks and eight strikeouts through 15.0 innings of work this season.
SATURDAY 1:30 PM
UCF - Spencer Davis, Jr., RHP
Ole Miss - Christian Trent, So., LHP
• Trent makes his third Saturday start of the season when he takes the mound vs. UCF this weekend.
• The LHP has not allowed a walk through two starts and 13.0 innings of work in the 2014 season.
• Trent has allowed only two runs in his first two starts, picking up wins over Stetson and Georgia State.
• The sophomore holds a .140 batting average against and holds 12 strikeouts in his two starts.
SUNDAY, 12:00 PM
UCF - TBA
Ole Miss - Sam Smith, Jr., RHP
• Smith continues to anchor the final spot in the weekend rotation for the Rebels in his junior season.
• The right-hander has allowed three runs in two starts while working 10.1 innings in those outings.
• Smith has only taken one loss in his last 18 starts for the Rebels across the last two seasons.
• Made 14 of his 15 starts as the third part of the weekend rotation last year as a sophomore.
REBELS vs. UCF
Ole Miss and UCF will meet on the diamond for the first time in program history this weekend.
A LOOK AT UCF
The Knights enter the weekend with a 6-2 record and a midweek win over Jacksonville State Tuesday.
• UCF is hitting at a .272 clip on the season with four home runs and 43 RBI through eight games.
• Starting CF Derrick Salberg leads the way with a .382 average, 10 runs scored and four RBI.
• As a staff, UCF holds a 3.91 ERA with 40 walks, 54 strikeouts and a .243 opponent batting average.
• Friday starter Skoglund holds a 1-0 record with a 1.93 ERA with five walks and nine strikeouts.
• Saturday starter Davis holds a 2-0 record with a 1.54 ERA, four walks and eight strikeouts.
MULTIPLE-HIT, MULTIPLE-RBI GAMES
Will Allen and Auston Bousfield have paced the Rebel offense through the early part of the season, leading the squad in both multiple-hit games and multiple-RBI games. The duo both have five multiple-hit games on the year, while Allen has tallied three multiple-RBI games and Bousfield has added two multiple-RBI games.
HIT STREAKS ON THE LINE
The Rebels have several players with active hit streaks of more than two games heading into the weekend with UCF, the longest held by junior Braxton Lee with a seven-game hit streak. Colby Bortles (4), J.B. Woodman (4), Will Jamison (3), Auston Bousfield (2) and Sikes Orvis (2) also have hit safely in two straight games or more heading into the series.
REBELS BEST WHEN SCORING EARLY
Ole Miss has been best when scoring early this season, posting a 7-0 record when scoring first and a 4-1 mark when scoring in the first inning. The Rebels have also been proficient at the plate while starting pitching holds opponents down. Ole Miss is outscoring opponents 20-to-7 through the first four innings.
SECOND TIME THROUGH THE LINEUP EVEN DEADLIER
Ole Miss has been even more efficient the second time through the lineup this season. In the middle innings of games, the Rebels have outscored opponents at a rate of 20-to-2 that includes explosions of nine runs in both the fifth and sixth innings through nine games this season.