Feb. 28, 2013
Game Notes at FIU
#8 Ole Miss (8-1) at Florida International (7-2)
Date: March 1-3, 2013
Times: 5 p.m./3 p.m./Noon (All Times Central)
Location: University Park, Fla.
Venue: FIU Baseball Stadium
Series: First Meeting
Radio: Ole Miss Radio Network (Local In Oxford Only Friday/Saturday)
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Live Blog: OleMissSports.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
OLE MISS QUICK HITS
• Ole Miss held steady in most rankings after a week two sweep of Rhode Island and inched up in a
few other polls. The Rebels are ranked as high as No. 8 (Baseball America) and are also ranked 14th
(Perfect Game), 16th (Collegiate Baseball), 17th ESPN/USAToday and 18th (NCBWA).
• Ole Miss is coming off a 7-2 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Wednesday night as the Rebels
rebounded from the first loss of the season at the hands of Memphis in a 4-3 game.
• In the last weekend outing, the Rebels posted a sweep of Rhode Island. With the sweep, the Rebels
have now swept back-to-back weekends to open the season for the first time since the 2008
• Senior RHP Brett Huber stood out among pitchers last weekend, picking up the win on Saturday in a
1-0 victory before coming back to the mound for the save in the sweep clinching win on Sunday.
• Freshman RHP Brady Bramlett mad his first start against UA-Pine Bluff on Wednesday, picking up the
win with seven strikeouts and allowing only two hits with no walks in 5.0 scoreless innings of work.
• Junior C Stuart Turner hit his second home run of the season, a two-run shot against UA-PB on
• Rebel relievers have allowed only eight runs through a combined 40.2 innings of work to date.
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
FRIDAY, 5:00 PM
FIU - Mike Ellis, Jr., RHP
Ole Miss - Bobby Wahl, Jr., RHP
• Wahl makes his third start of the season and holds a 2-0 record through his first two starts in 2012.
• Combined for a shutout of No. 12 TCU in the season-opener with eight strikeouts in a quality start.
• Has allowed only one run through his 11.1 innings of work this season and given up only five hits.
• Wahl is making his 22nd career start when he takes the mound against FIU on Friday evening.
SATURDAY, 3:00 PM
FIU - Tyler Alexander, Jr., LHP
Ole Miss - Mike Mayers, Jr., RHP
• Mayers is making his 20th career start when he takes the mound against Florida International on
• Mayers has taken no decision in his two starts on the season, despite a quality start against Rhode
• The right-hander combined for a shutout of the Rams last weekend with 6.0 IP and allowing only two
• Mayers is holding opponents to a .171 batting average against in his 10.2 innings on the mound.
FIU - Mike Franco, Jr., RHP
Ole Miss - Chris Ellis, Soph., RHP
• Ellis returns to the mound after missing the start last week to rest a strained abdominal muscle.
• The right-hander will be making his second start of the season when he takes the mound against FIU.
• Ellis is 1-0 on the season, picking up the win in the series finale against No. 12 TCU as a designated
pitcher of record working on a pitch count against the Horned Frogs.
• He worked 4.0 innings and allowed one run on two hits with three walks and three strikeouts in that
REBELS vs. FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL
Ole Miss plays its first road contests of the 2013 season with a three-game series at Florida International this weekend. It marks the first time the Rebels and Golden Panthers have faced off on the baseball diamond in the history of the two programs.
• FIU enters the weekend with a 7-2 record and is coming off a mid-week split with Texas Tech.
• The Panthers are led at the plate by Edwin Rios who is hitting .455 with 11 RBI, a home run and 10
• Friday night starter Mike Ellis is 1-0 on the year with a 7.45 ERA to go along with five walks and nine
• Saturday starter Ty Alexander is 1-0 with combined shutout , five walks and 13 strikeouts in 12.0
• Sunday’s starter Mike Franco is 1-0 with a 7.77 ERA through 4.2 innings on the mound in two outings.