Austin Anderson and the Rebels host SELA in a pair of midweek games starting Tuesday at 5 p.m.
March 4, 2013
Game Notes vs. SELA
#7 Ole Miss (11-1) vs. Southeastern Louisiana (8-2)
Date: March 5-6, 2013
Times: 5 p.m./11 a.m.
Location: Oxford, Miss.
Venue: Oxford-University Stadium/Swayze Field
Series: Ole Miss leads 13-6
In Oxford: 10-0
Radio: Ole Miss Radio Network (Local Only)
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
OLE MISS QUICK HITS
• Ole Miss continued to creep up in the national polls following a 4-1 week with a weekend sweep at FIU.
The Rebels are ranked as high as No. 7 (Baseball America) and are also ranked 11th (Collegiate
Baseball), 12th (Perfect Game), 15th (ESPN/USAToday) and 18th (NCBWA).
• Ole Miss was solid in an outing at Florida International, surviving a slugfest 11-9 on Friday night
before Mike Mayers and Sam Smith were dominant in starts in 8-3 and 8-1 wins to close out the
• In the last weekend outing, the Rebels posted a sweep of FIU. With the sweep, the Rebels have now
swept three consecutive weekends to open the season for the first time since the 2004 campaign.
• Sophomore RHP Sam Smith turned in a stellar performance to clinch the sweep, working 6.0 innings
with one unearned run with five strikeouts and one walk in the last minute move to start after the
Chris Ellis did not start to continue rehab of an abdominal strain.
• Junior C Stuart Turner powered the Rebels at the plate with an 8-for-12 performance on the weekend,
hitting .667 in the series. For the week he hit .579 with five doubles, a triple, a home run and tallied
• Junior RHP Mike Mayers picked up his first win, allowing two runs on a season-long 7.0 innings of work
• Rebel relievers have allowed only 11 earned runs through a combined 49.1 innings of work to date.
PROBSBLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
TUESDAY, 5:00 PM
SELA - Kyle Cedotal, Fr., LHP
Ole Miss - Josh Laxer, Soph., RHP
• Laxer makes his second start of the season and fourth appearance when he takes the mound on
• He holds a 2.25 ERA through 8.0 innings of work with two earned runs allowed, five walks and two
• Laxer’s first start of the season came against Memphis, working 3.0 innings in the outing.
• The sophomore has made relief appearances against #12 TCU and against Rhode Island this season.
WEDNESDAY, 11:00 AM
SELA - Kaleb Manuel, Sr., RHP
Ole Miss - Brady Bramlett, Fr., RHP
• Bramlett makes his second start of the season and third appearance when he takes the mound on
• In his first start against UA-Pine Bluff, Bramlett worked 5.0 scoreless IP with seven strikeouts and two
• For the season, Bramlett has worked 6.0 IP with 10 strikeouts, no walks and allowed only two hits.
• In his debut, Bramlett struck out the side in order against UT-Martin in the seventh inning of the
REBELS vs. SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
Ole Miss and Southeastern Louisiana will face each other in a pair of midweek games on Tuesday and Wednesday, bringing the number of meetings between the two teams to 21 all-time. Currently the two teams have faced each other 19 times with the Rebels holding a 13-6 lead in the series. The first meeting came in 1959 with the last meeting in 2006.
• Southeaster Louisiana enters the midweek contests with an 8-2 record and is coming off a series
sweep of Texas Southern.
• Harry Slade leads the Lions hitters with a .444 average, while Aaron Haag is the top run producer with
• Tuesday starter Kyle Cedotal is 2-1 on the year with a 3.86 ERA through four appearances; it’s his
• Wednesday starter Kaleb Manuel is making his third appearance and has pitched only 2.0 innings this
• The Lions are batting at a .269 clip as a team and field at a .962 clip with a 3.48 team ERA through 10
PROMOTIONS ABOUND AT SWAYZE FIELD IN 2013
Visitors to Oxford-University Stadium this season will have plenty to look forward to besides just some of the most exciting baseball in the country. Ole Miss Marketing has gameday promotions lined up throughout the course of the season that are sure to please the crowds. The pair of midweek games against Southeastern Louisiana next week will be Kid’s Night and Dollar Dog Night at the ballpark. All kids under 12 will get in free and hot dogs will cost only $1 for the Tuesday night game. The Wednesday game will begin at 11 p.m. and is the first School Day game for the Rebels with area school children coming to the park to take in the game.
REBELS SWEEP BACK-TO-BACK-TO-BACK TO OPEN SEASON
When the Rebels picked up a series sweep over Rhode Island on Sunday, February 24, it gave the Rebels series sweeps in back-to-back weekends to open the season. It’s the first time the Rebels have opened the year with back-to-back series sweeps since the 2008 season when the Rebels swept Minnesota and Indiana State to open the season.
Ole Miss continued the sweeps in the third weekend of play at Florida International, sweeping the Panthers in a three-game set. It marked the first time Ole Miss had posted three consecutive weekend sweeps to open the season since the 2004 campaign when the Rebels swept Birmingham Southern, South Alabama and Eastern Illinois.
ANDERSON, TURNER CATCH FIRE AT FIU
A pair of juniors caught fire at the plate against the Panthers of Florida International in the third weekend of play. Austin Anderson and Stuart Turner both performed well and were part of a trio of Rebels who hit above .400 for the weekend series. Turner led the way with a .667 average, while Anderson hit .583 for the series. Will Jamison rounded out the hot-hitting Rebels with a .429 average at FIU. As a result, both Anderson and Turner raised their season averages almost 100 points in a weekend. Turner now leads the team with a .450 average (up from .357), while Anderson is now hitting .372 (up from .290) entering the weekend.
MULTIPLE-HIT AND MULTIPLE-RBI GAMES
Stuart Turner does a little bit of everything for the Rebels and currently leads the team in multiple-hit games and multiple-RBI games. To date, Turner has posted seven multiple-hit games and five multiple-RBI games. Ten Rebels have posted multiple-hit games in 2012, while eight different Rebels have posted multiple-RBI games this season.
STREAKING REBELS TO WATCH
Eight Rebels hold active hit streaks heading into the midweek series with Southeastern Louisiana, led by Stuart Turner’s seven game hit streak. Austin Anderson and Preston Overbey are right behind him with six-game hit streaks. Tanner Mathis saw the season-long hit streak of 10 games (11 dating back to the final game of 2012) snapped on Sunday, but Mathis has still reached base safely in 11 straight games this season.
THROUGH 12 GAMES IN 2012
Through 12 games in the 2012 season, the Rebels were a game behind the current pace in 2013 with a 10-2 record on the season. Ole Miss was hitting at a .317 clip with 10 home runs and 88 RBI and were 14-of-18 on steal attempts. As a pitching staff, the Rebels held to a 2.61 ERA with 101 strikeouts and 25 walks while allowing 31 earned runs. The Rebels were fielding at a .967 clip with 15 errors.
TOP OF THE REBEL COACHING RANKS
While he is closing in on the 500 win mark at Ole Miss, Bianco will hit another milestone on his way to the 500-win mark. With his 482 wins, Bianco is four wins away from taking over the top spot as winningest coach in Ole Miss baseball history. Jake Gibbs (1972-1990) is the current leader with 485 career victories.