Jeremy Massie takes the mound for the Rebels on Wednesday.
March 4, 2014
Game Notes vs. Memphis
#15 Ole Miss (11-1) vs. Memphis (10-1)
Date: March 5, 2014
Location: Oxford, Miss.
Venue: Oxford-University Stadium/Swayze Field
Series: Ole Miss leads 89-50
Last Season: Memphis swept 2-0
Radio: Ole Miss Baseball Network
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Live Video: www.WatchRebelVision.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
• Ole Miss broke into the national rankings of four of five polling services, topping out at No. 15 in the
• The Rebels posted four consecutive walk-off wins last week on the way to a 5-0 week at home agianst
• Will Allen posted two of the Rebels’ walk-off last week with a bases-loaded single vs. ULM and solo
home run vs. UCF.
• Freshman LHP Wyatt Short went 2-0 in three relief appearances last week, working 3.0 innings with five
• Ole Miss closes out a 13-game home stand with four games this week and is 8-1 at this point in the
• The Rebels will host UALR in the final non-conference weekend of the season starting Friday at Swayze
• Ole Miss is the second-ranked offense in the SEC (.324) and is the fifth-ranked scoring offense (76
• The Rebel pitching staff is the fourth-ranked staff in the league, holding a 1.84 ERA through the first
• Auston Bousfield enters the week as the SEC leader in hits and is top 10 in batting average and runs
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
WEDNESDAY, 6:30 PM
MEM - Caleb Wallingford, LHP
OLE MISS - Jeremy Massie, Sr., LHP
• Massie made his first start of his career against ULM last week in game two of a midweek series.
• The southpaw worked 5.0 no-hit innings against the Warhawks, but took no decision in the outing.
• Massie has made 21 appearances in his Rebel career, including 19 relief outings as a junior.
• Prior to the 5.0 innings against ULM, his longest outing was 3.0 IP against Lipscomb in 2013.
REBELS vs. MEMPHIS
Ole Miss and Memphis have faced off 139 times with the Rebels holding an 89-50 lead in the all-time series that has been played since the first meeting in 1916.
• Ole Miss won both games against Memphis in 1916, picking up a 12-1 and 9-3 wins that season.
• The Rebels dropped both games to the Tigers last season, falling 4-3 and 4-0 in the two games.
• Ole Miss and Memphis have split in the last 10 meetings with a 5-5 record in those games.
• The Rebels hold an 18-7 lead in the series in games played during the Mike Bianco era.
A LOOK AT MEMPHIS
The Memphis Tigers enter the midweek contest in Oxford with an overall record of 10-1 on the season and are coming off a series sweep of Southeast Missouri State this past weekend in Memphis.
• The Tigers’ 10-1 record features a lone blemish that came against Samford in a weekend series.
• Memphis has already gone on the road once and beaten an SEC team, downing MSU 6-4 on 2/19.
• Zach Willis leads the Tigers at the plate, hitting at a .314 clip with six RBI and nine runs scored.
• The Tigers hit at a .265 clip as a team with three home runs and 54 RBI on the season.
• As a staff, Memphis holds a 2.66 ERA with 33 walks, 68 strikeouts and .231 opponent batting avg.
• LHP Caleb Wallingford is 2-0 on the year with three walks and 12 strikeouts in 14.2 innings of work.
MULTIPLE-HIT, MULTIPLE-RBI GAMES
Will Allen and Auston Bousfield have paced the Rebel offense through the early part of the season, leading the squad in both multiple-hit games and multiple-RBI games. The duo both have seven multiple-hit games on the year, while Allen has tallied doue multiple-RBI games and Bousfield has added two multiple-RBI games.
HIT STREAKS ON THE LINE
The Rebels have several players with active hit streaks of more than two games heading into the contest with Memphis, the longest held by junior Braxton Lee with a 10-game hit streak. Auston Bousfield (5), Austin Anderson (4), Will Jamison (4) and Preston Overbey (4) also have hit safely in two straight games or more heading into the matchup with the Tigers.
FINDING A WAY ON BASE
The Rebels also have several players who keep finding a way to get on base, no matter the method. Braxton Lee, Austin Anderson and Errol Robinson have all reached base safely in 11 consecutive games, while Sikes Orvis has reached in 10 straight games.
REBELS BEST WHEN SCORING EARLY
Ole Miss has been best when scoring early this season, posting a 8-0 record when scoring first and a 5-1 mark when scoring in the first inning. The Rebels have also been proficient at the plate while starting pitching holds opponents down. Ole Miss is outscoring opponents 24-to-8 through the first three innings.
SECOND TIME THROUGH THE LINEUP EVEN DEADLIER
Ole Miss has been even more efficient the second time through the lineup this season. In the middle innings of games, the Rebels have outscored opponents at a rate of 31-to-5 that includes explosions of 15 runs in the fifth inning and 10 runs in the sixth inning through 12 games this season.
The Rebels had a solid third week of play, posing four consecutive walk-off wins on the way to a 5-0 week. Ole Miss beat ULM in the ninth in back-t0-back games before taking the first two games of the UCF series with a 13-inning win and a 10-inning win.
REBELS ENJOY HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE UNDER BIANCO
Ole Miss has enjoyed success on the home field under head coach Mike Bianco over the course of 14 seasons. The excitement and energy generated by Rebel fans has helped the squad post a record of 338-126-1 at Swayze Field for a .728 winning percentage in that time.