March 20, 2014
Game Notes vs. Mizzou
#14 Ole Miss (18-4, 1-2 SEC) vs. Missouri (11-9, 1-2 SEC)
Date: March 21-23, 2014
Location: Oxford, Miss.
Venue: Oxford-University Stadium/Swayze Field
Series: Mizzou leads 5-4
Last Series: UM won 9-6 in ‘08 NCAA Regional
Radio: Ole Miss Baseball Network
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Live Video: www.WatchRebelVision.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
• Ole Miss continued to find itself ranked among the top 25 after opening SEC play, topping out at No.
14 in the polls.
• Ole Miss faces Missouri in a series in Oxford for the fifth time ever, but first time since playing in the
• Ole Miss ranks third in the SEC in offense, hitting at a .313 clip with the seventh-ranked scoring
offense in the SEC.
• Auston Bousfield ranks in the top 10 in the SEC in average (9th), slug percent (6th), hits (2nd) and on
• Will Allen continues to rank in the top 10 in the SEC in RBI (2nd), hits (3rd), doubles (1st) and home
• Ole Miss ranks sixth in the SEC as a staff with a 2.08 ERA through five weeks of play, allowing 47
• The Rebel bullpen has allowed only 16 earned runs in 76.0 innings of work for a 1.89 earned run
• Ole Miss’ defense ranks among the league leaders, coming in third with a .980 fielding percentage
and 17 errors.
• The Rebels rallied for a sixth one-run win this season vs. Arkansas State and are now 6-1 in one-run
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
FRIDAY, 6:30 PM
MU - Brett Graves, Jr., RHP
OLE MISS - Chris Ellis, Jr., RHP
• Ellis has settled in as the anchor for the Rebels’ weekend, making his sixth start of the 2014 season.
• The RHP has three quality starts on the year, including two shutouts and a complete-game vs. GSU.
• Ellis did not allow an earned run through the first four starts until opening SEC play at No. 1 USC.
• The junior has 13 walks and 21 strikeouts while holding opponents to a .196 batting average.
• Ellis has allowed only three earned runs in his 33.0 innings of work and five starts.
SATURDAY 1:30 PM
MU - John Miles, Jr., RHP
OLE MISS - Christian Trent, So., LHP
• Trent makes his sixth Saturday start of the season when he takes the mound vs. MU this weekend.
• The LHP has allowed only two walks through 31.0 innings of work and five starts in the 2014 season.
• Trent is 2-0 on the season with wins against Stetson and Georgia State and three quality starts.
• The sophomore holds a .212 batting average against and his 30 strikeouts is seventh in the SEC.
SUNDAY, 1:30 PM
MU - Eric Anderson, Sr., RHP
OLE MISS - Sam Smith, Jr., RHP
• Smith continues to anchor the final spot in the weekend rotation for the Rebels in his junior season.
• The right-hander has allowed seven runs in five starts while working 29.1 innings in those outings.
• Smith has only taken two losses in his last 21 starts for the Rebels across the last two seasons.
• The RHP has quality starts in last three outings against UCF, UALR and #1 USC, earning the win twice.
A LOOK AT MISSOURI
The Tigers of Missouri enter the weekend series wtih an overall record of 11-9 and are coming off a pair of midweek wins over Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
• Mizzou is 1-2 in the SEC after picking up a win over No. 17 Tennessee in the series opener last week.
• The Tigers hit at a .266 clip with four home runs and 81 RBI through 20 games this season.
• Kendall Keaton leads the Tigers with a .351 average and is 6-for-8 on steal attempts this season.
• The Tigers pitching staff holds a 3.12 ERA with 36 walks and 138 strikeouts in 178.2 innings.
• Opponents are hitting at a .268 clip against Mizzou with four home runs and 73 runs scored.
• RHP Brett Graves holds a 1.30 ERA with a 3-1 record in five starts with five walks and 27 strikeouts.
REBELS vs. MISSOURI
The Rebels and Tigers have tangled nine times in the history of the two programs with Missouri leading 5-4 in those nine games.
• Ole Miss and Mizzou first met in the 1958 season with the Rebels dropping both games in Oxford.
• The teams last met in the 2008 Miami Regional with Ole Miss eliminating the Tigers 9-6.
• Missouri’s last trip to Oxford was for the 2009 NCAA Regional, but the Tigers and Rebels did not play.
• The two teams have met in Oxford four times with Mizzou holding a 4-3 edge in those meetings.
• Mizzou and Ole Miss last played in Oxford in 1987 with the Rebels claiming two-of-three games.
THROUGH 22 GAMES IN 2013
Through 22 games a year ago, the Rebels had posted a 20-2 record and were coming off an SEC-opening series win at Arkansas. Ole Miss was hitting at a .299 clip with eight home runs and 132 RBI, while going 24-of-40 in steal attempts. The Rebel pitching staff was holding to a 2.42 ERA and a .227 opponent’s batting average. Pitchers had allowed 75 walks with 186 strikeouts in 188.0 innings.
REBELS ENJOY HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE UNDER BIANCO
Ole Miss has enjoyed success on the home field under head coach Mike Bianco over the course of 14 seasons. The excitement and energy generated by Rebel fans has helped the squad post a record of 342-127-1 at Swayze Field for a .729 winning percentage in that time.
SOLID BULLPEN WORK LEADS TO SUCCESS
Ole Miss’ bullpen has been incredibly efficient through the first five weeks of the season, continuing to hold teams in check down the stretch. Through 76.0 innings of relief work this season, the Rebel bullpen holds a 1.89 ERA as those pitchers have combined to allow only 16 earned runs in that time.