March 24, 2014
Game Notes vs. USM
#9 Ole Miss (21-4) vs. Southern Miss (12-12)
Date: March 25, 2014
Location: Pearl, Miss.
Venue: Trustmark Park
Series: Ole Miss leads 71-45
Last Series: USM won both games in 2013
Radio: Ole Miss Baseball Network
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Live Audio: www.WatchRebelVision.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
• Ole Miss continued to rise in the rankings after a sweep of Missouri, topping out at No. 9 in the latest
• The Rebels are second in the SEC in batting (.309), second in home runs (19) and seventh in scoring
• Ole Miss is fourth in ERA as a staff (2.03) and is tops in the league in strikeouts (233) with a league-
leading 21 wins.
• Three Rebels rank in the top five in the SEC in hits: Bousfield (T1st - 39), Allen (3rd - 35) and
Anderson (T4th - 34).
• Bousfield ranks in the top 10 in the SEC in hits (T1st), average (4th), Runs (9th) and on base
• Will Allen is tied for the league lead in RBI (32) and is tied for fourth in the league in home runs (4)
• Sikes Orvis is second in the SEC in home runs (6) and has produced nine of his 14 RBI from home
• Chris Ellis ranks third in the SEC in ERA (0.67) while Christian Trent is sixth in the SEC in strikeouts
• Ole Miss is now 8-1 in one-run games this season and has posted nine come-from-behind wins.
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
TUESDAY, 6:30 PM
USM - Cody Carroll, So., RHP
OLE MISS - Jeremy Massie, Sr., LHP
• The southpaw makes his fifth start of the season and sixth appearance with the nod against USM.
• Massie has made 23 appearances in his Rebel career, including 19 relief outings as a junior.
• This season, Massie is 1-1 with a 2.25 ERA through 20.0 IP with a .200 opponent batting average.
• The left-hander has posted seven walks and 13 strikeouts with only one extra-base hit allowed.
• Massie took the loss against Memphis, but picked up the win on the road at Southeastern Louisiana.
A LOOK AT SOUTHERN MISS
The Golden Eagles of Southern Miss enter the week with an overall record of 12-12 and are coming off a series win over Texas-San Antonio in which Southern Miss won the first and final game of the series.
• The Golden Eagles are 4-2 in midweek games this season with losses to Florida and South Alabama.
• Southern Miss holds a .243 batting average with 120 runs scored, 14 home runs and 114 RBI.
• Mason Robbins is a key for the offense, htting .284 with three home runs, 22 RBI and 20 runs.
• As a staff, USM holds a 3.70 ERA with 86 walks and 210 strikeouts through 214.0 innings of work.
• RHP Cody Carroll is 1-0 with two starts, a 1.00 ERA to go along with three walks and eight strikeouts.
• Carroll started against ULM (3/18) and picked up the win, but USM lost his start against USA (3/12).
REBELS vs. SOUTHERN MISS
The Rebels and Golden Eagles have faced each other 116 times in the history of the two programs with Ole Miss holding a 71-45 lead in the all-time series with Southern Miss.
• The Golden Eagles won both meetings last season, 2-1 in Pearl and 10-3 in Hattiesburg.
• Ole Miss is 14-15 against Southern Miss in the Bianco era including an NCAA Regional win over USM.
• The two teams first met in 1916 with the Rebels picking up both wins over the Golden Eagles.
• Ole Miss and Southern Miss have played 10 times in Jackson with the Rebels trailing 4-6.
COMMON FOES ON THE SCHEDULE
Common foes don’t always tell the tale for how a game will play out, but the Rebels and Golden Eagles have several teams in common on the schedule this season. Both teams have faced ULM and Missouri heading into the midweek contest with the Rebels posting a 5-0 record against the Warhawks and Tigers, while Southern Miss is 3-3 in those games. USM played Missouri four times, going 1-3 against the Tigers and posted a 2-0 mark against ULM. Southern Miss has also already faced Alabama, the Rebels’ next opponent, and picked up a 2-1 win over the Crimson Tide.
THROUGH 25 GAMES IN 2013
Through 25 games a year ago, the Rebels had posted a 21-4 record and were coming off an series loss at home against Texas A&M. Ole Miss was hitting at a .297 clip with 10 home runs and 144 RBI, while going 27-of-43 in steal attempts. The Rebel pitching staff was holding to a 2.69 ERA and a .234 opponent’s batting average. Pitchers had allowed 82 walks with 202 strikeouts in 224.0 innings.
ALLEN’S PRODUCTION UP
Senior Will Allen has been solid in his offensive production this season. Through 25 games this season, the catcher has tallied four home runs and 32 RBI, passing his total offensive production from his junior season when he hit four home runs and tallied 24 RBI.
HIT STREAKS ON THE LINE
The Rebels have several players with active hit streaks of more than two games heading into the game against Arkansas State, the longest held by senior Austin Anderson with a 12-game hit streak. Will Allen (11) is right behind him as the only other player with a double-digit hit streak heading into the week.
FINDING A WAY ON BASE
The Rebels also have several players who keep finding a way to get on base, no matter the method. Austin Anderson leads the way with a streak of 24 consecutive games reaching base, while Auston Bousfield is behind him with a streak of 20 games. Will Allen the third player in the double-digits with a 13 game streak of reaching base.
REBELS BEST WHEN SCORING EARLY
Ole Miss has been best when scoring early this season, posting a 15-1 record when scoring first and a 10-2 mark when scoring in the first inning. The Rebels have also been proficient at the plate while starting pitching holds opponents down. Ole Miss is outscoring opponents 48-to-16 through the first three innings. The Rebels have scored an impressive 27 runs in the first inning this season.