Josh Laxer will make the start against Memphis on Tuesday night at Autozone Park.
April 1, 2013
#16 Ole Miss (23-6) at Memphis (15-13)
Date: April 2, 2013
Times: 6:30 p.m.
Location: Memphis, Tenn.
Venue: Autozone Park
Series: Ole Miss leads 89-49
In Memphis: Ole Miss leads 31-25
Radio: Ole Miss Radio Network
Live Stats/Audio: OleMissSports.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
OLE MISS QUICK HITS
• Ole Miss continued to be ranked nationally in week eight of competition, topping out in the charts at
No. 16 (NCBWA, USAToday/ESPN Coaches, Perfect Game), while coming at No. 17 in Baseball America.
Collegiate Baseball slid Ole Miss to 19th.
• The Rebels improved to 19-1 in non-conference games with a midweek win over Arkansas State last
• RHP Aaron Greenwood continued to be solid in relief, working 5.1 scoreless innings with four strikeouts
and no walks.
• Greenwood retired 10 straight batters in his relief appearance at Florida on Sunday after taking the
• Relief pitching was solid for the Rebels on the weekend, allowing one earned run through 12.0 IP at
• Ole Miss relievers also allowed only two-of-nine inherited runners to score for the weekend series vs.
• Rebel baserunners came up big in the Friday night win at Florida, scoring two runs on a wild pitch and a
throwing error off a sac bunt attempt. Will Jamison went 2B to home on a wild pitch and Lance Wilson
went from 2B to home on a sac bunt from Jamison when the throw to third got away from the pitcher,
allowing Wilson to advance safely.
• Wilson’s run was the game-winning run in the 11-inning series opener against the Gators.
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
TUESDAY, 6:30 PM
MEM - Michael Wills, Sr., LHP
Ole Miss - Josh Laxer, Soph., RHP
• Laxer makes his eighth appearances and fifth start of the season against Memphis on Tuesday night.
• The RHP is 2-0 with wins over SE Louisiana and ULM and no decision against Memphis and Arkansas
• Laxer holds a 2.45 ERA with 12 strikeouts and 11 walks while holding hitters to a .184 batting average
• In his previous start vs. Memphis, Laxer worked 3.0 IP with two runs on four hits, three walks and a
• His 5.1 scoreless IP against SELA was a season-long and he struck out a season-high four at ULM.
REBELS vs. MEMPHIS
Ole Miss and Memphis have faced off on the baseball diamond 138 times with the Rebels holding an 89-49 lead in the all-time series. The two teams faced each other earlier this season with the Tigers picking up a 4-3 win after the Rebels committed six errors in the game and left a man stranded in scoring position in the ninth inning.
• Ole Miss and Memphis first met in the 1916 season with the Rebels grabbing wins in both games
• The Rebels are 19-5 against the Memphis Tigers under head coach Mike Bianco since the 2001
• Ole Miss held a 13-game win streak against the Tigers from 2004 until dropping game two at Memphis
• LHP Michael Wills makes his third consecutive start against the Rebels when he takes the mound
A LOOK AT MEMPHIS
Memphis enters the Tuesday night contest with the Rebels holding an overall record of 15-13 and are coming off a series loss at the hands of the 19th-ranked Houston Cougars in Memphis. The Tigers dropped the first two games of the series before salvaging a win in the series finale.
• Sophomore catcher Keaton Aldridge leads the Tigers at the plate with a .329 average so far this
• Infielders Drew Griffin and Tucker Tubbs are the top two run producers with 17 RBI each this season.
• LHP Michael Wills holds a 1-2 record with a 3.00 ERA through five starts this season for the Tigers. He
has struck out 17 while walking 13 and opponents are hitting at a .286 clip against Wills this season.
• As a pitching staff, the Tigers hold a 2.74 ERA with a .229 batting average against, 237 strikeouts and
• Memphis is batting at a .271 clip as a team with 126 RBI and 11 home runs through 28 games this
FAST STARTS KEY REBEL SUCCESS
Quick starts to games have been a key to Rebel success this season and played a part in the 23-6 start. Through the first four innings, Ole Miss is outscoring its opponents by a whopping 104-to-37 margin. Ole Miss is 18-1 when scoring first this season and is 12-1 when scoring in the first inning.
ANDERSON TOUGH TO STRIKE OUT
Through 29 games and 109 at bats this season, Austin Anderson has struck out only three times. His first strikeout came in the final at bat of the first game at #11 Arkansas, 20 games into the season. Anderson ranks first nationally in the NCAA as toughest hitter to strikeout entering the week.
MULTIPLE-HIT AND MULTIPLE-RBI GAMES
Stuart Turner does a little bit of everything for the Rebels and currently leads the team in multiple-hit games and multiple-RBI games. To date, Turner has posted 15 multiple-hit games and 11 multiple-RBI games. Ten Rebels have posted multiple-hit games in 2012, while 10 Rebels have also posted multiple-RBI games this season. Austin Anderson (11), Will Allen (9) and Auston Bousfield (9) behind him in multiple hit games this season.
STREAKING REBELS TO WATCH
It was a tough finale at the plate for the Rebels in the series against Florida, with very few players keeping hit streaks alive in the final two games against the Gators. Heading into this Tuesday night’s game, six Rebels hit safely in their last game with Will Allen, Austin Anderson, Cameron Dishon, Christian Helsel, Preston Overby and Stuart Turner all looking to start new hit streaks.