Sam Smith and the Rebels will take on the No. 2 Vanderbilt Commodores this weekend.
April 4, 2013
Game Notes vs. Vanderbilt
#16 Ole Miss (23-6, 4-5 SEC) vs. #2 Vanderbilt (24-6, 8-1 SEC)
Date: April 5-7, 2013
Times: 6:30 p.m./4:00 p.m./1:30 p.m.
Location: Oxford, Miss.
Venue: Oxford-University Stadium/Swayze Field
Series: Ole Miss leads 59-52-2
In Oxford: Ole Miss leads 30-17
Radio: Ole Miss Radio Network
Internet Broadcast: ESPN3 (Entire Series)
Announcers: Eli Savoie & David Dellucci
Live Stats/Audio: OleMissSports.com
Live Blog: OleMissSports.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
OLE MISS QUICK HITS
• Ole Miss continued to be ranked nationally in week eight of competition, topping out in the charts at
No. 16 (NCBWA, USAToday/ESPN Coaches, Perfect Game), while coming at No. 17 in Baseball America.
Collegiate Baseball slid Ole Miss to 19th.
• The Rebels improved to 19-1 in non-conference games with a midweek win over Arkansas State last
• RHP Aaron Greenwood continued to be solid in relief, working 5.1 scoreless innings with four strikeouts
and no walks.
• Greenwood retired 10 straight batters in his relief appearance at Florida on Sunday after taking the
• Relief pitching was solid for the Rebels on the weekend, allowing one earned run through 12.0 IP at
• Ole Miss relievers also allowed only two-of-nine inherited runners to score for the weekend series vs.
• Rebel baserunners came up big in the Friday night win at Florida, scoring two runs on a wild pitch and a
throwing error off a sac bunt attempt. Will Jamison went 2B to home on a wild pitch and Lance Wilson
went from 2B to home on a sac bunt from Jamison when the throw to third got away from the pitcher,
allowing Wilson to advance safely.
• Wilson’s run was the game-winning run in the 11-inning series opener against the Gators.
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
FRIDAY, 6:30 PM (ESPN3)
VU - Kevin Ziomek, Jr, LHP
Ole Miss - Bobby Wahl, Jr., RHP
• Wahl makes his eighth start on the season Friday night and holds a 6-0 record with a 1.80 ERA
through 45.0 IP.
• The Rebels are undefeated when Wahl starts this season, despite him taking no decision last
weekend at Florida.
• In the start at UF, Wahl worked 7.1 IP, allowing 3 runs - 2 earned - with two walks and a strikeout on
• Wahl has posted a team-leading 37 strikeouts and has walked only 19 batters in his time on the
• The right-hander has held opponents to a .213 batting average this season.
SATURDAY, 4:00 PM (ESPN3)
VU - Tyler Beede, So., RHP
Ole Miss - Mike Mayers, Jr., RHP
• Mayers makes eighth start of the season when he takes the mound vs. Vanderbilt on Saturday
• Through seven starts, Mayers holds a 2-3 record and a pair of no decisions against Rhode Island and
• Mayers holds a 3.35 ERA with 29 strikeouts and 15 walks through 40.1 innings of work this season.
• The RHP has four quality starts through his seven outings this season as the Saturday starter.
SUNDAY, 1:30 PM (ESPN3)
VU - TBA
Ole Miss - Sam Smith, Soph., RHP
• Smith makes his seventh start of the season when he takes the mound against Vanderbilt on Sunday
• The right-hander moved into the weekend rotation in week two and started six consecutive weekends.
• Smith last made a weekend start in game two of a Sunday doubleheader against Texas A&M.
• The sophomore holds a 2-0 record with a 3.51 ERA and has 13 strikeouts with seven walks in 25.2 IP.
REBELS vs. VANDERBILT
Ole Miss and Vanderbilt first faced each other in the 1900 season and the two teams have played each other 113 times since the first meeting that was played in Oxford at the turn of the century.
• The Rebels hold a 59-52-2 lead in the all-time series between the two teams for a .531 winning
• Under head coach Mike Bianco, the Rebels lead the series 20-15 and did not play in the 2010, 2011
• In the Bianco era, the Rebels are 10-2 vs. Vanderbilt in Oxford with three series sweeps (2002, 2004,
• Ole Miss leads the series 30-17 all-time in games played in Oxford between the Rebels and
A LOOK AT VANDERBILT
Vanderbilt enters the weekend series with an overall record of 26-4 and holds an 8-1 mark in Southeastern Conference play. The only loss came at the hands of Florida in the series opener two weeks ago. Vanderbilt is coming off a series sweep of Tennessee on three come-from-behind victories and a midweek win at Middle Tennessee State.
• Vanderbilt enters the weekend hitting at a .295 clip with 191 RBI and 15 home runs so far this season.
• Tony Kemp leads VU at the plate with a .375 average to go along with 19 RBI and is 14-of-23 on
• Connor Harrell is the top run producer for Vanderbilt with five home runs and 37 RBI through 30
• The VU pitching staff holds a 2.44 ERA with 260 strikeouts and 126 walks with a .211 opponent batting
• Friday starter Kevin Ziomeck has a complete-game shutout with a 5-1 record with 62 strikeouts and 15
• RHP Tyler Beede is 7-0 so far with 44 strikeouts, 31 walks with a 0.99 ERA and a .151 opponent
REBELS BROADCAST ON ESPN3 THIS WEEKEND
With the Rebels being selected by ESPN for broadcast on ESPN3 this weekend, there will only be an audio stream available through RebelVision for the series with Vanderbilt. Fans who want to watch the broadcast will need to go to WatchESPN.com and follow the instructions to view the broadcast on the internet.
FAST STARTS KEY REBEL SUCCESS
Quick starts to games have been a key to Rebel success this season and played a part in the 23-6 start. Through the first four innings, Ole Miss is outscoring its opponents by a whopping 104-to-37 margin. Ole Miss is 18-1 when scoring first this season and is 12-1 when scoring in the first inning.
ANDERSON TOUGH TO STRIKE OUT
Through 29 games and 109 at bats this season, Austin Anderson has struck out only three times. His first strikeout came in the final at bat of the first game at #11 Arkansas, 20 games into the season. Anderson ranks first nationally in the NCAA as toughest hitter to strikeout entering the week.
MULTIPLE-HIT AND MULTIPLE-RBI GAMES
Stuart Turner does a little bit of everything for the Rebels and currently leads the team in multiple-hit games and multiple-RBI games. To date, Turner has posted 15 multiple-hit games and 11 multiple-RBI games. Ten Rebels have posted multiple-hit games in 2012, while 10 Rebels have also posted multiple-RBI games this season. Austin Anderson (11), Will Allen (9) and Auston Bousfield (9) behind him in multiple hit games this season.
STREAKING REBELS TO WATCH
It was a tough finale at the plate for the Rebels in the series against Florida, with very few players keeping hit streaks alive in the final two games against the Gators. Heading into this Tuesday night’s game, six Rebels hit safely in their last game with Will Allen, Austin Anderson, Cameron Dishon, Christian Helsel, Preston Overby and Stuart Turner all looking to start new hit streaks.
REBELS PUT TOGETHER EFFICIENT, OPPORTUNISTIC OFFENSE
While the Rebels are hitting at a .286 clip through seven weeks of play. It’s been the efficiency and opportunistic nature of the offense that’s been the big boost to the Rebels. In 16-of-29 games, the Rebels have scored a run total that came within three spots of the team’s hit total for the game. In 4-of-6 losses, the Rebels have not managed near the offensive efficiency produced in those wins, while Ole Miss’ opponents have produced run totals within three of their hit total for the game.
When you look in the dugout this year, you may see a t-shirt with “Team114” printed on it and wonder what it means. The simple slogan for the team is indicative of the fact that this is the 114th team to play at Ole Miss and reminds the players that how this individual team will be remembered is up to them and how they compete each day. This team will only be together as it is for one season with veteran players dparting and new players coming in next season, so each individual has to make the choices and play the game for today and this season to determine what the legacy of Team 114 will be in Rebel baseball lore.