April 21, 2014
Game Notes vs. MSU
#12 Ole Miss (30-11) vs. #20 Mississippi State (26-15)
Date: April 22, 2014
Location: Pearl, Miss.
Venue: Trustmark Park
Series: Series tied 17-17 in Metro Jackson Area
Last Meeting: Ole Miss fell 5-1 in 2013
Radio: Ole Miss Baseball Network
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Live Video: None
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
• Ole Miss found itself in the top 25 of the national rankings for the seventh consecutive week, topping
out at No. 12.
• The Rebels are second in the SEC in batting (.304), third in home runs (27) and fourth in scoring (240
• Ole Miss is tied for first in ERA as a staff (2.10) and tied for first in wins with 30 though 10 weeks of
• Three Rebels rank in the top five in the SEC in hits: Bousfield (1st - 61), Anderson (T2nd-56) and
Allen (T5th - 55).
• Anderson ranks in the top 10 in the SEC in average (10th), on base percentage (8th), runs (10th) and
• Will Allen is second in the SEC in RBI (42) and is tied for sixth in the league in home runs (5) this
• Sikes Orvis is second in the SEC in home runs (9) and has hit safely in 16 consecutive SEC games
entering the week.
• Bousfield leads the SEC in hits (61) and is in the top 10 in average (9th), runs (T8th) and second in
• Ole Miss is now 8-5 in one-run games, 6-3 in walk-off wins and has posted 11 come-from-behind wins
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
TUESDAY, 6:30 PM
MSU - TBA
OLE MISS - Jeremy Massie, Sr., LHP
• Massie made his first start of his career against ULM (2/26) in game two of a midweek series.
• The southpaw has made six starts in 11 appearances for the Rebels so far this season.
• Massie holds a 2.34 ERA with eight walks and 25 strikeouts through 34.2 innings of work in 2014.
• The left-hander has made 24 relief appearances in his career with six starts and holds a 2-3 record.
A LOOK AT MISSISSIPPI STATE
The Bulldogs of Mississippi State enter the week with an overall record of 26-15 and are coming off a series sweep on the road at Missouri this last weekend.
• Derrick Armstrong leads the Bulldogs at the plate, batting .337 and is 13-for-15 in steals this year.
• Wes Rea leads Mississippi State in power with three home runs and 28 RBI on the season.
• As a team, Mississippi State has hit seven home runs this season, but allowed only seven home runs.
• As a staff, the Bulldogs hold a 3.36 ERA with 135 walks allowed and 340 strikeouts in 41 games.
• The Bulldogs allow opponents to hit at a .256 clip with 158 runs scored this season by foes.
REBELS vs. MISSISSIPPI STATE
The Rebels and Bulldogs have faced each other 448 times with Ole Miss trailing in the series 207-236-5, but the Rebels won the last two series between the team 2-1 in Oxford and 2-1 in Starkville.
• The two squads met for the first time in the 1893 season with a loss and a tie for the Rebels.
• Ole Miss has won 8-of-14 series between the two teams, posting a pair of sweeps under Bianco.
• The Rebels are 5-2 in series played at Mississippi State in the Mike Bianco era of the series.
• The series is tied 17-17 in games played in the metro Jackson area since the inception of the
Mayor’s Trophy and the Governor’s Cup games.
THROUGH 41 GAMES IN 2013
Through 41 games a year ago, the Rebels had posted a 29-12 record and were coming off a weekend sweep on the road at Tennessee. Ole Miss was hitting at a .272 clip with 14 home runs and 193 RBI, while going 34-of-63 in steal attempts. The Rebel pitching staff was holding to a 2.57 ERA and a .235 opponent’s batting average. Pitchers had allowed 149 walks with 300 strikeouts in 371.0 innings.
MULTIPLE-HIT, MULTIPLE-RBI GAMES
Will Allen and Auston Bousfield have paced the Rebel offense through the season, leading the squad in multiple-hit games with 18 from Bousfield and 17 from Allen. All told, the Rebels have six players in double-digits when it comes to multiple-hit games as Austin Anderson (17) Braxton Lee (15), Sikes Orvis (13) and Preston Overbey (10) round out the group.
Allen leads the way in multiple-RBI games with 10, while Anderson (7), Orvis (7) and Bousfield (7) have all posted five or more multiple-RBI games as well.
HIT STREAKS HEADED INTO THE WEEK
Three players hold significant hit streaks heading into the weekend, all of them having hit safely in four or more consecutive games: Sikes Orvis (15) and Auston Bousfield (12) hold the longest hit streaks on the team heading into the Governor’s Cup. Will Jamison (8) has also hit safely in five or more games heading into the week.
Sikes Orvis paces the team in Southeastern Conference games, having hit safely in 16 consecutive conference games heading into the Kentucky series this weekend.
REBELS BEST WHEN SCORING EARLY
Ole Miss has been best when scoring early this season, posting a 22-5 record when scoring first and a 14-3 mark when scoring in the first inning. The Rebels have also been proficient at the plate while starting pitching holds opponents down. Ole Miss is outscoring opponents 72-to-31 through the first three innings. The Rebels have scored an impressive 38 runs in the first inning and 26 in the third.
SECOND TIME THROUGH THE LINEUP FEATURES EXPLOSIVE INNINGS
Ole Miss has been even more efficient the second time through the lineup this season. In the middle innings of games, the Rebels have outscored opponents at a rate of 98-to-44 that includes explosions of 36 runs in the fifth inning and 33 runs in the fourth inning through 41 games this season.