April 28, 2013
Each week here at OleMissSports.com we'll take a look at former Rebels in the Major Leagues and update Rebel fans on how the individual players (and their respective teams) are performing in a race for a pennant and ultimately a World Championship.
REBELS IN THE MINORS:Nathan Baker
#8 | Chris Coghlan | OF | Miami Marlins
Coghlan had a three-game hit streak earlier in the week and is hitting at a .167 clip through the first 25 games of the season for Miami. The Marlins completed a two-game split with the Chicago Cubs and Coghlan drew a walk and scored a run in the 6-4 win on Sunday. It was his first run scored on the season. Coghlan and the Marlins will kick off a series with the New York Mets on Monday. Coghlan and the Marlins are currently last in the NL East with a 6-19 record.
#2 | Zack Cozart | SS | Cincinnati Reds
Cozart is hitting at a .213 clip on the season and is coming off a 2-for-3 performance with two RBI and a run scored in a Sunday win at the Washington Nationals. The shortstop 12 runs scored, 12 RBI and four home runs on the season to help the Reds. Cozart and the Cincinnati Reds are 14-12 on the season and are a 1.5 games out of first in the NL Central and a half game behind the St. Louis Cardinals. Cincinnati went 1-3 against the Nationals over the weekend and now hit the road for a three-game series at the Cardinals starting Monday. Cincinnati won series with the Marlins and Cubs last week before falling to the Nationals.
#31 | Lance Lynn | RHP| St. Louis Cardinals
Lynn has been solid in the early part of the season for the St. Louis Cardinals, posting a 4-0 record through five starts to help St. Louis stand 0.5 game out of first in the NL Central behind the Pittsburgh Pirates. Lynn posted a 2-0 record this past week with a win over at Philadelphia and a win over Pittsburgh. He worked 7.0 innings in both starts, allowing no earned runs and striking out eight at Philadelphia, before allowing one earned run and striking out nine against the Pirates. Lynn has 34 strikeouts on the season and has allowed only 10 runs in his five starts. Lynn's win over the Pirates was the only one in the series for the Cardinals, who open a series with the Reds on Monday.
#15 | Seth Smith | OF/DH | Oakland Athletics
Smith is hitting at a .319 clip for the Athletics this season, and helped the A's pick up a win over Baltimore on Sunday, driving in three runs and scoring two - including a two-run home run for his only hit of the day. The win salvaged the series with the Orioles. Smith has tallied three home runs on the season with 10 runs scored and 10 RBI. Oakland is 14-12 on the season and second in the AL West this season, kicking off a series with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on Monday.
- Altoona Curve (AA - Pittsburgh)Aaron Barrett
- Harrisburg Senators (AA- Washington)Dylan Chavez
- Greenville Drive (A - Boston)Chris Corrigan
- Springfield Cardinals (AA - St. Louis)Matt Crouse
- Erie Seawolves (AA - Detroit)Tim Ferguson
- Wilmington Blue Rocks (A - Kansas City)David Goforth
- Brevard County Manatees (A - Milwaukee)Miles Hamblin
- Tri-City Valley Cats (A - Houston)Jordan Henry
- Akron Aeros (AA - Cleveland)Justin Henry
- Pawtucket Red Sox (AAA - Boston)R.J. Hively
- South Bend Silverhawks (A - Arizona)Phillip Irwin
- Indianapolis Indians (AAA - Pittsburgh)Zach Kirksey
- Connecticut Tigers (A - Detroit)Matt Maloney
- Rochester Red Wings (AAA - Minnesota)Cody Overbeck
- Lehigh Valley Ironpigs (AAA - Philadelphia)Drew Pomeranz
- Colorado Sky Sox (AAA - Colorado)Alex Presley
- Indianapolis Indians (AAA - Pittsburgh)Matt Smith
- Jupiter Hammerheads (A - Miami)Matt Snyder
- Tampa Yankees (A - New York Yankees)Matt Tolbert
- Lehigh Valley Ironpigs (AAA - Philadelphia)Matt Tracy
- Trenton Thunder (AA - New York Yankees)Austin Wright
- Reading Fightin Phils (AA - Philadelphia)Alex Yarbrough
- Inland Empire 66ers (Los Angeles Angels)