April 29, 2014
Game Notes vs. Southern Miss
#10 Ole Miss (33-12) vs. Southern Miss (26-19
Date: April 30, 2014
Location: Oxford, Miss.
Venue: Oxford-University Stadium/Swayze Field
Series: Ole Miss leads 71-46
Last Meeting: Ole Miss fell 5-3 in Pearl, Miss.
Radio: Ole Miss Baseball Network
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Live Video: www.WatchRebelVision.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
• Ole Miss found itself in the top 25 of the national rankings for the 10th consecutive week, topping out
at No. 10.
• The Rebels are second in the SEC in batting (.307), second in home runs (33) and second in scoring
• Ole Miss is third in ERA as a staff (2.40) and has posted 44 wins through the first 11 weeks of
• Three Rebels rank in the top four in the SEC in hits: Bousfield (1st - 72), Allen (2nd - 64) and
Anderson (T4th - 61)
• Bousfield raised his average to .371 at Kentucky and was named Player of the Week by the NCBWA on
• Will Allen is second in the SEC in RBI (50) and is tied for third in the league in home runs (7) this
• Sikes Orvis is second in the SEC in home runs (11) and has hit in 19 consecutive SEC games entering
• Bousfield leads the SEC in hits (72) and is in the top five in average (2nd), runs (3rd), bases (3rd)
and steals (5th).
• The 39 runs scored at Kentucky was the most in a three-game SEC series in school history for the
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
WEDNESDAY, 6:30 PM
USM - Cameron Giannini, Sr., RHP
OLE MISS - Evan Anderson, Fr., LHP
• Anderson makes his third start of the season, taking the mound against Murray State on Wednesday.
• The freshman is 1-0 on the season with a 0.79 ERA in 11.1 innings of work through seven outings.
• Anderson made starts against Southeastern Louisiana and UAPB and worked limited innings in both.
• The southpaw has struck out eight with three walks and a .114 opposing batting average this year.
A LOOK AT SOUTHERN MISS
The Golden Eagles of Southern Miss enter the Wednesday night contest with an overall record of 26-19 and are coming off a series loss to No. 11 Rice in Hattiesburg this past weekend.
• Southern Miss hits at a .243 clip with 20 home runs and 191 RBI through 45 games played.
• Tim Lynch leads the offense with a .294 average and a .409 on base percentage this season.
• Matt Durst leads the run production with five home runs and 32 RBI to pace all USM hitters.
• As a staff, Southern Miss holds a 3.60 ERA with 367 strikeouts and 153 walks in 402.1 innings.
• Cameron Giannini holds a 3-2 record with a 4.13 ERA and has 21 walks with 39 strikeouts this year.
REBELS vs. SOUTHERN MISS
The Rebels and Golden Eagles have faced each other 117 times in the history of the two programs with Ole Miss holding a 71-46 lead in the all-time series with Southern Miss.
• The Golden Eagles won both meetings last season, 2-1 in Pearl and 10-3 in Hattiesburg.
• Ole Miss is 14-16 against Southern Miss in the Bianco era including an NCAA Regional win over USM.
• The two teams first met in 1916 with the Rebels picking up both wins over the Golden Eagles.
• Ole Miss leads the series 7-2 in games played in Oxford during the regular season under Bianco.
THROUGH 45 GAMES IN 2013
Through 45 games a year ago, the Rebels had posted a 31-14 record and were coming off a weekend series loss to Kentucky in Oxford. Ole Miss was hitting at a .275 clip with 16 home runs and 221 RBI, while going 37-of-67 in steal attempts. The Rebel pitching staff was holding to a 2.54 ERA and a .230 opponent’s batting average. Pitchers had allowed 160 walks with 327 strikeouts in 407.0 innings.
ALLEN’S PRODUCTION UP
Senior Will Allen has been solid in his offensive production this season. Through 42 games this season, the catcher has tallied seven home runs and 50 RBI, passing his total offensive production from his junior season when he hit four home runs and tallied 24 RBI.
BOUSFIELD NAMED SEC/NCBWA PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Ole Miss notched its second SEC Player of the Week on April 28 following a series sweep of Kentucky on the road. Auston Bousfield earned the distinction after hitting .714 against the Wildcats with four doubles and a home run. He also tallied eight runs and seven RBI with a .765 on base percentage for the weekend. He was also named the NCBWA National Hitter of the Week for his performance.
PITCHER OF THE YEAR WATCH LIST
Ellis also found himself on the initial watch list for the Pitcher of the Year award when the College Baseball Foundation announced the list of 47 pitchers in April. Redshirt sophomore Christian Trent also found himself on the list, giving the Rebels two players on the watch list. South Carolina was the only other SEC team with two players on the lits.
BROOKS WALLACE AWARD WATCH LIST
Freshman shortstop Errol Robinson found himself on the initial watch list for the Brooks Wallace Award honoring the nation’s top shortstop. The rookie is one of five freshman nationally to be named to the 32-man list released by the College Baseball Foundation in conjunction with the release of the Pitcher of the Year Watch list.
MULTIPLE-HIT, MULTIPLE-RBI GAMES
Will Allen and Auston Bousfield have paced the Rebel offense through the season, leading the squad in multiple-hit games with 21 from Bousfield and 20 from Allen. All told, the Rebels have seven players in double-digits when it comes to multiple-hit games as Austin Anderson (18) Braxton Lee (16), Sikes Orvis (14), Preston Overbey (12) and Errol Robinson (round out the group.
Allen leads the way in multiple-RBI games with 13, while Anderson (8), Bousfield (8) Orvis (8) and Overbey (6) have all posted five or more multiple-RBI games as well.
HIT STREAKS HEADED INTO THE WEEK
Auston Bousfield (16) enters the week with the longest hit streak of the season - and longest active hit streak - for the Rebels.
Sikes Orvis paces the team in Southeastern Conference games, having hit safely in 19 consecutive conference games heading into the Arkansas series this weekend. Auston Bousfield has hit safely in 12 consecutive games in conference play for the only other significant streak.
REBELS BEST WHEN SCORING EARLY
Ole Miss has been best when scoring early this season, posting a 23-6 record when scoring first and a 14-4 mark when scoring in the first inning. The Rebels have also been proficient at the plate while starting pitching holds opponents down. Ole Miss is outscoring opponents 83-to-38 through the first three innings. The Rebels have scored an impressive 39 runs in the first inning and 34 in the third.
SECOND TIME THROUGH THE LINEUP FEATURES EXPLOSIVE INNINGS
Ole Miss has been even more efficient the second time through the lineup this season. In the middle innings of games, the Rebels have outscored opponents at a rate of 116-to-52 that includes explosions of 41 runs in the fifth and sixth innings, and 34 runs in the sixth inning through 45 games this season.