May 8, 2014
Game Notes vs. Georgia
#11 Ole Miss (35-14, 15-9 SEC) vs. Georgia (24-23-1, 9-14-1 SEC)
Date: May 9-11, 2014
Location: Oxford, Miss.
Venue: Oxford-University Stadium/Swayze Field
Series: Ole Miss trails 35-36
Last Series Meeting: Ole Miss lost 2-1 in ‘12
Radio: Ole Miss Baseball Network
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Live Video: www.WatchRebelVision.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
• Ole Miss found itself in the top 25 of the national rankings for the 11th consecutive week, topping out
at No. 11.
• The Rebels are tops in the SEC in batting (.307), third in home runs (34) and second in scoring (296
• Ole Miss is fifth in ERA as a staff (2.65) and has posted 35 wins through with two weeks left in the
• Three Rebels rank in the top five in the SEC in hits: Bousfield (1st - 77), Allen (2nd - 71) and
Anderson (T5th - 65)
• Bousfield ranks at the top of the SEC in batting average (.369) and hits (77) as he paces the Rebel
• Will Allen is second in the SEC in RBI (51) and is third in the league in home runs (7) and batting
• Sikes Orvis is second in the SEC in home runs (12) while Braxton Lee leads the league in steals this
• Ole Miss will honor seven seniors on Saturday of the Georgia series in the final home weekend of the
• RHP Chris Ellis is fourth in the SEC in ERA (1.90), while LHP Christian Trent is eighth in the SEC in
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
FRIDAY, 6:30 PM
UGA - Ryan Lawlor, So., LHP
OLE MISS - Chris Ellis, Jr., RHP
• Ellis has settled in as the anchor for the Rebels’ weekend, moving into the Friday role as a junior.
• The RHP has eight quality starts on the year, including two shutouts and a complete-game vs. GSU.
• Ellis has not allowed an earned run in 5-of-12 starts this season and holds a 1.90 ERA.
• The junior has allowed 25 walks with 48 strikeouts and holds opponents to a .247 batting average.
• Ellis is 7-0 with wins vs. Stetson, Ga. State, S. Carolina, Missouri, Miss. State, Kentucky and Arkansas.
SATURDAY 4:00 PM
UGA - Robert Tyler, Fr., RHP
OLE MISS - Christian Trent, So., LHP
• Trent makes his 13th start of the season when he takes the mound against UGA this Saturday.
• The LHP has allowed only 12 walks through 77.0 innings of work and 12 starts this season.
• Trent is 7-0 with wins vs. Stetson, Georgia State, Missouri, Auburn, LSU, Kentucky and Arkansas.
• The sophomore holds a .223 batting average against and his 58 strikeouts is eighth in the SEC.
• Trent threw a complete-game shutout against Auburn with a career-high seven strikeouts.
SUNDAY, 1:30 PM
UGA - David Sosebee, RSo., RHP
OLE MISS - Sam Smith, Jr., RHP
• Smith continues to anchor the final spot in the weekend rotation for the Rebels in his junior season.
• The right-hander has allowed 27 runs in 12 starts while working 67.2 innings in those outings.
• Smith has only taken six losses in his last 31 starts for the Rebels across the last three seasons.
• The RHP has turned in a quality start in eight of his last 10 outings for the Rebels this season.
A LOOK AT GEORGIA
The Bulldogs enter the weekend with an overall record of 24-23-1 and are 9-14-1 in SEC play after winning last weekend’s series against the South Carolina Gamecocks.
• As a team, the Bulldogs bat at a .257 clip with 12 home runs, 191 RBI and 233 runs scored.
• Hunter Cole leads the offense with a .326 average while Nelson Ward is tops in RBI with 31 this year.
• As a staff, Georgia holds a 4.12 ERA with 200 walks allowed and 299 strikeouts through 48 games.
• Ryan Lawlor holds a 4-4 record with a 3.31 ERA with 23 walks and 52 strikeouts this season.
• Lawlor has turned in three complete games this season, all coming in the last four weekends.
REBELS vs. GEORGIA
The Rebels and Bulldogs have faced each other 71 times in the history of the program with Georgia taking the lead 36-35 in the last meeting between the two teams with a 2-1 series win in Athens.
• The two teams first met in the 1929 season with the two teams splitting the pair of games.
• The Rebels hold a 17-15 lead in the series in games played during the Bianco era since 2001.
• Ole Miss has posted six series wins against the Bulldogs in the 10 meetings under Bianco.
• The Rebels are 9-6 against the Bulldogs in games played in Oxford under head coach Mike Bianco.
THROUGH 49 GAMES IN 2013
Through 49 games a year ago, the Rebels had posted a 33-16 record and were coming off a series loss on the road at Auburn and were heading into a series with Mississippi State. Ole Miss was hitting at a .281 clip with 18 home runs and 242 RBI, while going 40-of-74 in steal attempts. The Rebel pitching staff was holding to a 2.68 ERA and a .233 opponent’s batting average. Pitchers had allowed 173 walks with 354 strikeouts in 443.0 innings.
REBELS ENJOY HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE UNDER BIANCO
Ole Miss has enjoyed success on the home field under head coach Mike Bianco over the course of 14 seasons. The excitement and energy generated by Rebel fans has helped the squad post a record of 352-131-1 at Swayze Field for a .729 winning percentage in that time.