Ryan Olenek Named Finalist for C Spire Ferriss Trophy
May 14, 2018

VOTE ONLINE

JACKSON, Miss. - Ole Miss baseball junior outfielder Ryan Olenek has been selected as a finalist for the C Spire Ferriss Trophy, the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum announced Monday.

Olenek is one of five finalists in the running to be named the most outstanding college baseball player in the state.

Rebel fans can help select the winner. Professional scouts and college coaches selected the finalists, and their voting will comprise 90 percent of the final results. Fan voting, conducted by C Spire, will account for the other 10 percent. Fan voting will begin at 5 p.m. CT on Monday and is scheduled to run through Noon on Saturday, May 19. Fans can cast their vote up to three times per day at www.csopavoting.com.

Olenek is amid one of the best offensive seasons in program history. He's batting .396 on the season with 74 hits and a team-high 17 doubles. The junior out of Winter Park, Florida, ranks No. 19 in the nation and No. 1 in the Southeastern Conference in batting average. Olenek is also first in the SEC and 27th in the country, averaging 1.54 hits per game. He's also the toughest player to strike out in the SEC with just 13 strikeouts in 187 at-bats.

Olenek just recently concluded a 23-game hitting streak, the second-longest streak in the SEC this season and tied for the third-longest in school history. During that 49-day span, Olenek overcame a partially torn labrum in his shoulder to hit .517 with 17 multi-hit games, striking out just five times.


 

 

Olenek is joined in the Ferriss Trophy finalist pool by Nick Sandlin and Luke Reynolds of Southern Miss, Zack Shannon of Delta State and Jake Mangum of Mississippi State. He'll look to become the sixth Rebel to win the trophy, which is named for Mississippi baseball legend Boo Ferriss. Ole Miss outfielder Auston Bousfield took home the honor in 2014, joining previous Rebel winners Stephen Head (2004), Brian Pettway (2005), Scott Bittle (2008) and Drew Pomeranz (2010).

The C Spire Ferriss Trophy will be presented at a luncheon on Monday, May 21, at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. For tickets to the event, visit msfame.com.

OFFICIAL STORE

GET SOCIAL

Twitter

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago

Instagram

Facebook