Woodman Tabbed a Ferriss Trophy Finalist
J.B. Woodman hits a solo homer versus Kentucky, May 14
May 16, 2016

JACKSON, Miss. -- Ole Miss junior outfielder J.B. Woodman has been named a finalist for the C Spire Ferriss Trophy, the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum announced Monday morning, May 16. Woodman is one of five finalists up for the award, named for Mississippi baseball legend Boo Ferriss, which will be presented to the most outstanding baseball player in the state of Mississippi at a luncheon on May 23 at the Cleveland Country Club in Cleveland, Mississippi.

Woodman joins Delta State's Will Robertson along with Mississippi State players Dakota Hudson, Reid Humphreys and Jake Mangum as the five finalists. Major League Baseball scouts and college coaches chose the five finalists and also will vote again this week from among the five. The coaches/scouts voting will comprise 90 percent of the final vote. Fan voting, conducted by C Spire, will account for the other 10 percent of the voting. Fan voting will begin Tuesday and conclude Sunday at www.csopavoting.com.

Woodman has put together an impressive 2016 campaign in all aspects of the game. As the Rebels’ starting center fielder, the Orlando, Florida native has nine outfield assists which is tied for the most in the nation. Seven of his nine outfield assists have been at the plate, keeping runs off the scoreboard. In a weekend series against No. 8 LSU, Woodman threw out three runners at the plate to help the Rebels take two of the three games. He also hit three home runs as part of a .500 week to garner NCBWA National Hitter of the Week honors.

As a team captain, Woodman has been a leader on and off the field all season long. Tied for the SEC lead with 12 home runs, the junior also paces Ole Miss in multi-hit games (21), RBI (47), runs (41) and steals (10), while also ranking among the top Rebels in batting average (.325), hits (62) and doubles (12). Moreover, he is hitting .340 during SEC play, cracking the conference’s top-10 list. Known for his clutch hitting, Woodman is 24-for-54 (.444) with runners in scoring position this season. He also ranks in the top-25 nationally with six sacrifice flies, always finding a way to get a runner across the plate.

Woodman is looking to become the sixth Rebel to win the Ferriss Trophy. Former Ole Miss outfielder Auston Bousfield took home the honor in 2014, joining previous Rebels Stephen Head (2004), Brian Pettway (2005), Scott Bittle (2008) and Drew Pomeranz (2010) in claiming the award. 


 

 

The C Spire Ferriss Trophy will be presented at a luncheon on Monday, May 23, at the Cleveland Country Club. Former Ole Miss baseball and football standout and baseball coach Jake Gibbs, who played 10 seasons with the New York Yankees, will be the featured speaker.For tickets to the event, call 601-982-8264 or visit online.

For the latest news and updates involving Ole Miss Baseball, follow the Rebels on Twitter at @OleMissBSB, on Facebook at Ole Miss Baseball and on Instagram at olemissbsb.

OFFICIAL STORE

GET SOCIAL

Twitter

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago

Instagram

Facebook