May 29, 2013
Game Notes - NCAA Regional | BLOG: Rebels Preview Raleigh Regional
Ole Miss (37-22) vs. William & Mary (37-22)
NCAA Raleigh Regional
Date: May 31, 2013
Time: 1 p.m.
Location: Raleigh, N.C.
Venue: Doak Field at Dail Park
Radio: Ole Miss Radio Network
Television: ESPN Bases Loaded Tournament Coverage
Internet Video Broadcast: ESPN3.com
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissBSB
OLE MISS QUICK HITS
• Ole Miss makes its 18th NCAA Tournament appearance all-time and 11th in the Bianco era.
• The Rebels face William & Mary in the opener, marking the first meeting between the two schools.
• Ole Miss has also never faced the other two schools in the NCAA Raleigh Regional in the history of the
• Junior RHP Bobby Wahl was named a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award earlier this week by USA
• Junior C Stuart Turner, senior 3B Andrew Mistone and Wahl were all named All-SEC selections by the
• Turner has thrown out 4-1of-21 base runners on steal attempts this season, a 51 percent clip of
caught stealing. An interesting potential second game matchup as NC State is 100-of-129 on steal
attempts this season.
• Ole Miss is 44-37 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 22-21 with four Super Regional appearances
• The Rebels have advanced to the College World Series four times (1856, 1964, 1969 and 1972).
• Ole Miss has advanced to at least a Regional Championship game in six of the last eight NCAA
• RHP Mike Mayers and Tribe RHP John Farrell pitched together last summer in the Cape Code League
with the Bourne Braves, while RHP Bobby Wahl and NC State LHP Carlos Rodon pitched together on
Team USA last summer.
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
FRIDAY, 1:00 PM
W&M - Jason Inghram, So., LHP
Ole Miss - Mike Mayers, Jr., RHP
• Mayers makes his 15th start of the season when he gets the ball against the Tribe on Friday.
• In 15 outings, Mayers holds a 2.98 ERA with two combined shutouts, 70 strikeouts and 31 walks.
• In non-conference starts, Mayers is 3-0 with a 1.20 ERA, 24 strikeouts and only nine walks.
• Mayers has held opponents to a .231 batting average against through his 87.2 innings of work.
• In his last outing, Mayers worked 6.1 IP with 1 unearned run in a SEC Tournament win over Kentucky.
A LOOK AT THE TRIBE OF WILLIAM & MARY
The Tribe of William and Mary enter the NCAA Raleigh Regional with an overall record of 37-22 and finished second in the Colonial Athletic Association with a 17-10 mark. The Tribe fell to Towson in the CAA Tournament championship game last week.
• Michael Katz leads the Tribe at the plate with a .365 average to go along with five HR and 47 RBI.
• Ryan Lindemuth is right behind Katz with a .363 average along with four home runs and 47 RBI.
• LHP Jason Inghram is 8-6 on the year with a 3.46 ERA, 96 strikeouts and .242 opp. batting average.
• The Tribe hits at a .296 clip, while the pitching staff holds a 4.16 ERA with 404 strikeouts and a .279
opponent batting average this year.
REBELS IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT
Ole Miss has made 18 appearances in the NCAA Tournament all-time with a 44-37 record in those appearances. Five different coaches have taken the Rebels to the post-season in program history.
• Ole Miss first went to the NCAA Touranment in 1956, advancing to the College World Series.
• That 1956 team was only the third team from the SEC to advance to the College World Series.
• The Rebels have advanced to four College World Series (1956, 1964, 1969, 1972).
• In addition, the Rebels have advanced to 18 NCAA Regionals and 4 NCAA Super Regionals.
OLE MISS IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT UNDER Mike Bianco
Ole Miss has made 11 NCAA Tournament appearances in the 13 year tenure of Mike Bianco, including a stretch of eight consecutive appearances from 2003-2010. The Rebels only missed the NCAA Tournament in 2002 and 2011.
• The Rebels have advanced to an NCAA Regional championship six of the last eight appearances.
• Ole Miss advanced to an NCAA Super Regional four times - 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009.
• The Rebels hosted and NCAA Regional for the first time in program history in the 2004 season.
• All told, the Rebels have hosted five times in the last 10 seasons since Bianco and the Rebels first
brought post-season baseball to Swayze Field in that 2004 season.
A LOOK AT NORTH CAROLINA STATE
The Wolfpack of North Carolina State enter the NCAA Regional with an overall record of 44-14 and finished second in the ACC Atlantic Division behind Florida State with a 19-10 mark in conference play.
• LHP Carlos Rodon leads the Wolfpack with an 8-2 record, 151 strikeouts and a 3.48 ERA in 101 IP.
• As a pitching staff, NC State holds a .324 ERA with a .218 opponent's batting average on the season.
• Trea Turner hits .376 to lead the Wolfpack, while Tarrran Senay has six home runs and 49 RBI.
• As a team, NC State hits at a .280 clip with 319 RBI and 370 runs scored through 58 games.
A LOOK AT BINGHAMTON
Binghamton enters the NCAA Regional with an overall record of 30-23 and claimed the automatic berth to the NCAA Tournament by defeating Maine in the America East Tournament championship.
• Jake Thomas leads the Bearcats with a .382 average, five home runs, 36 RBI and 42 runs scored.
• As a team, Binghamton hits at a .266 clip with 228 RBI and 272 runs scored through 53 games.
• Jake Lambert leads Binghamton with a 7-2 record in 15 appearanaces, 76 strikeouts and 2.95 ERA.
• The Bearcats pitching staff holds a 3.67 ERA with 322 strikeouts and a .259 opponent batting avg.
FAST STARTS KEY REBEL SUCCESS
Quick starts to games have been a key to Rebel success this season. When the Rebels get on the board often and early, Ole Miss tends to win. Through the first four innings, Ole Miss is outscoring its opponents by a whopping 165-to-90 margin. Ole Miss is 29-10 when scoring first this season and is 18-6 when scoring in the first inning. The Rebels outscore foes 58-24 in the first and 35-15 in the third inning.
STREAKING REBELS TO WATCH
Entering the SEC Tournament, the Rebels have seven players who hit safely in their last game played and are paced by four Rebels who have hit streaks of multiple games heading into the series. Andrew Mistone (10) leads the way, while Stuart Turner (4), Will Jamison (2), Preston Overbey (1), Holt Perdzock (1) and Lance Wilson (1) all have hit streaks heading into the NCAA Tournament.
WAHL NAMED GOLDEN SPIKES AWARD SEMIFINALIST
Juniors right-hander Bobby Wahl found himself on the list of semifinalists for the Golden Spikes Award on May 28 when USA Baseball announced the semifinalists. Wahl was one of 30 players announced as a semifinalist for the award presented annually to the top amateur baseball player in the country.
WAHL NAMED TO 22 MAN WATCH LIST FOR PITCHER OF THE YEAR
Ole Miss junior RHP continued to hold down a spot on the Pitcher of the Year watch list as named by the College Baseball Foundation on Wednesday when the organization trimmed the list to 22 candidates. The last Rebel pitcher to make a series run for the Pitcher of the Year watch was left-hander Drew Pomeranz in the 2010 season. Wahl is one of five candidtes from the SEC, including LSU's Aaron Nola, South Carolina's Tyler Webb and Vanderbilt's Tyler Beede and Kevin Ziomek.
TURNER NAMED BENCH AWARD SEMIINALIST
Junior Stuart Turner has been named to the initial watch list for the 2013 Bench Award by the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission. He was then named as one of 15 semifinalists for the award on May 16 when the initial list was trimmed down. The Bench Award is presented annually to the nation's top catcher and the initial list was comprised of 48 players to watch.