Postgame Notes: Ole Miss vs. Memphis
Oct. 1, 2016
POST GAME NOTES
OLE MISS NOTES
• This was the 62nd all-time meeting between Ole Miss and Memphis ... The Rebels now lead the series 49-11-2 and won their fourth straight over the Tigers in Oxford.
FIRST-TIME STARTERS (2)
• Attendance at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium was 65,889, second-largest in school history behind the total of 66,176 for the Alabama game.
• This was Ole Miss’ 89th homecoming game ... The Rebels are now 72-15-2 all-time and have won 18 of the last 20.
• The Rebels outscored Memphis 14-0 in the first quarter and have now outscored opponents 55-6 in the opening frame this season.
• The Rebels scored first for the fifth time in five games this year.
• Ole Miss improves to 30-6 under Freeze when leading at the half and 32-7 under Freeze when scoring first.
• The Rebels now own an all-time record of 658-506-35 (.563 winning percentage) and a 37-20 record under Freeze (.649 winning percentage).
• Ole Miss recorded 624 total yards of offense, fifth-most in a game in school history ... It was the third straight game with more than 500 and the team’s most since racking up 665 vs. New Mexico State on Oct. 10 last year.
• The team’s 263 rushing yards were the most since totaling 265 vs. New Mexico State last year.
• The Rebels converted six of seven red-zone attempts in the game and have now converted 23 of 25 chances this season.
• Ole Miss had two 100-yard rushers for the first time since Presbyterian in 2014 ... The Rebels hadn’t had one 100-yard rusher yet this year.
• Senior QB Chad Kelly completed 30 of 44 passes for 361 yards with a TD and an INT ... It was his third game going over 300 yards this season.
• Kelly has tied Bo Wallace for the school record with 11 career 300-yard passing games.
• Kelly extended his own school record with his 18th consecutive game throwing a TD pass.
• With 361 passing yards, Kelly passed Jevan Snead and John Fourcade into fifth place on the all-time Ole Miss passing yardage list with 5,638.
• With 361 total yards, Kelly passed Kent Austin into fifth place on the all-time Ole Miss total yardage list with 6,262.
• Junior RB Eugene Brazley rushed 13 times for a career-high 124 yards and his first two rushing TDs of the season ... He added three catches for 25 yards.
• Senior RB Akeem Judd ran the ball 15 times for a career-high 108 yards.
• Brazley and Judd are the first 100-yard rushers for Ole Miss since Chad Kelly went over the century mark against Arkansas last year.
• Redshirt-freshman QB Jason Pellerin rushed eight times for 22 yards and punched in his second and third rushing TDs of the season with a 1-yard plunge in the first quarter and 3-yard dash in the second quarter.
• Senior TE Evan Engram had four catches for 82 yards and a touchdown ... He is now tied with Barney Poole for the second-most touchdown catches by an Ole Miss tight end with 11 in his career.
• Redshirt-freshman WR Van Jefferson led the team with seven catches for 79 yards.
• Junior WR Damore’ea Stringfellow had six catches for a career-high 94 yards.
• Sophomore DB Zedrick Woods snagged two interceptions and returned one of them 31 yards for a TD, his first career score ... It was the Rebels’ second straight game with a pick-six ... Woods also led the team with eight tackles, including 1.5 TFLs.
• Junior DE Marquis Haynes tallied six tackles with 2.0 TFLs and a sack ... He forced a fumble that led to a turnover and had another QB hurry that led to an INT.
• Senior DT D.J. Jones collected a pair of Tiger turnovers with his first career fumble recovery and first career interception.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
• Junior K/P Gary Wunderlich made both of his field goals, converting from 32 and 23 yards, and all six PAT tries.
• Junior P Will Gleeson punted twice for a 40.5-yard average, landing both of them inside the 20, including one that was downed at the 1-yard line.
• Senior QB Chad Kelly booted a 42-yard punt into the end zone, his second punt of the year.
MEMPHIS POSTGAME NOTES
Special Teams Notes
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT
- Athletics Leadership
- Compliance and Disassociations
- Media Relations
- News Archives
- Spirit Squads
- Staff Directory
- This is Ole Miss
- FOR STUDENT-ATHLETES
- FedEx Student Athlete Success Center
- Health and Sports Performance
- M-Club Alumni Chapter
- Student-Athlete Development
- Rebels' Choice Awards
- Social Media
- E-Newsletter Sign Up
- Charitable Donations
- Contact Us
- Poster/Schedule Card Request
- Media and Downloads
- Ole Miss Sports Apps
- Calendar Schedule
- Sync Your Calendar
- Desktop Backgrounds
- School Song Downloads
- FOR KIDS
- Camps and Clinics
- Rebel Kids Club
- Birthdays with the Rebels
- Chairback Rentals
- Gameday Central [Football] [Basketball] [Baseball]
- Rebel Windows
- Visitor's Guide
- What To Wear