Postgame Notes: Ole Miss vs. Georgia Southern
Nov. 5, 2016
POSTGAME NOTES OLE MISS 37, GEORGIA SOUTHERN 27 - 11/5/16
SERIES INFORMATION • This was the first meeting between the two teams. • Ole Miss improved to 31-1-2 against current Sun Belt teams, including 5-0 under head coach Hugh Freeze.
FIRST-TIME STARTERS (1) Defense: Benito Jones (DT)
GENERAL NOTES • Attendance at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium was 60,263. • The Rebels scored first for the eighth time in nine games. • Ole Miss led 31-21 at the half and has still not trailed at halftime this season. • Ole Miss improved to 8-3 after a loss over the last three seasons and snapped a three-game losing streak. • The Rebels improved to 33-9 under Freeze when they score first. • The Rebels now own an all-time record of 659-509-35 (.562 winning percentage) and a 38-23 record under Freeze (.623 winning percentage).
• Ole Miss converted on five of six chances in the red zone, only because of kneeling to close the game.
• Senior QB Chad Kelly completed 16 of 23 passes for 226 yards with a TD and no INTs, adding 23 rushing yards and two TDs on six carries ... He left the game late in the third quarter with a knee injury.
• Kelly extended his own school record with his 22nd consecutive game throwing a TD pass ... He came in tied for the third-longest active streak among FBS players.
• Kelly’s touchdown pass was the 50th of his Rebel career ... He also moved up to fourth on the Ole Miss charts with 503 career completions.
• Senior TE Evan Engram had four catches for 75 yards and scored his seventh TD of the season.
• Engram eclipsed the single-season school record for catches by a tight end with 53 ... Previous record was 52 by Barney Poole in 1947.
• Engram moved up to fifth in school history in career receptions (150), passing Bill Flowers (149 from 2001-04).
• Senior RB Akeem Judd rushed for a career-high 139 yards on 26 carries with his fifth touchdown of the year ... It’s the most rushing yards by a Rebel since Jordan Wilkins had 171 vs. Presbyterian on Nov. 8, 2014.
• Junior WR Damore’ea Stringfellow had a game-high five catches for 66 yards.
DEFENSIVE NOTES • Senior DE Fadol Brown led the team with a career-high 14 tackles, doubling his previous high of seven from last year’s Vanderbilt game ... He recorded 1.5 TFLs and 0.5 sack. • Senior LB Rommel Mageo registered 12 tackles with 1.5 TFLs. • Junior LB DeMarquis Gates was also in double figures with 11 tackles and 0.5 TFL. • Sophomore DB Zedrick Woods had six tackles and snagged his team-leading third interception of the season.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES • Junior K/P Gary Wunderlich made all three FG attempts (from 35, 29 and 38 yards) and all four PAT tries ... He also punted twice for a 40.5-yard average. • Wunderlich moved into a tie for fourth on the school’s list of career field goal leaders with 41, tied with Brian Lee (1989-92). • Senior TE Hunter Thurley made his presence known on special teams, collecting his first six care
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT
- Athletics Leadership
- Compliance and Disassociations
- Media Relations
- News Archives
- Spirit Squads
- Staff Directory
- This is Ole Miss
- FOR STUDENT-ATHLETES
- FedEx Student Athlete Success Center
- Health and Sports Performance
- M-Club Alumni Chapter
- Student-Athlete Development
- Rebels' Choice Awards
- Social Media
- E-Newsletter Sign Up
- Charitable Donations
- Contact Us
- Poster/Schedule Card Request
- Media and Downloads
- Ole Miss Sports Apps
- Calendar Schedule
- Sync Your Calendar
- Desktop Backgrounds
- School Song Downloads
- FOR KIDS
- Camps and Clinics
- Rebel Kids Club
- Birthdays with the Rebels
- Chairback Rentals
- Gameday Central [Football] [Basketball] [Baseball]
- Rebel Windows
- Visitor's Guide
- What To Wear