March 11, 2011
BATON ROUGE, La. -- The Ole Miss men's tennis team saw its six-match win streak versus LSU come to an end Friday with a 4-2 loss at the Dub Robinson Tennis Stadium.
With the loss, the Rebels dropped to 6-4 overall and 1-2 in the SEC. They will face Arkansas Sunday at 1 p.m. in Fayetteville.
The day did not begin well for Ole Miss, as they fell behind 1-0 by losing the doubles point. After Tucker Vorster and Jonas Lutjen won 8-4 at No. 2, Kalle Norberg and Adrian Forberg Skogeng lost 8-5 at three. LSU clinched the point when 17th-ranked Sebastien Carlsson and Neal Skupski handed the nation’s No. 5 team of Marcel Thiemann and Chris Thiemann 8-4.
Kalle Norberg did not play singles due to illness, thus moving everyone else up a spot in the lineup. Forberg Skogeng made it 1-1 with a straight set 6-2, 6-3 win at six.
LSU regained the lead for good as Stefan Szacinski defeated Jonas Lutjen 6-3, 6-2 at No. 3. The Tigers then picked up straight set wins at four and five to clinch the victory. Freshman Johan Backstrom lost to Mark Bowtell 7-5, 6-1 and then Chris Thiemann lost two close sets to Sebastian Carlsson 6-4, 7-5.
“LSU is tough to beat down here. We knew it would be difficult, and then you take out Kalle Norberg in singles, and it becomes even tougher,” head coach Billy Chadwick said. “We were fortunate to beat them 4-3 at our place last year without Kalle. The guys are disappointed, but hopefully we can rebound on Sunday at Arkansas.”
Marcel Thiemann won his match in a third set supertiebreaker, and then the No. 2 match was stopped in the third set.
Arkansas will have a live blog for Sunday’s match. Fans can follow it by going to www.OleMisssports.com and clicking on the link.
1. Carlsson/Skupski (LSU) def. Thiemann/Thiemann (OM) 8-4
2. Vorster/Lutjen (OM) def. Szacinski/(LSU) 8-4
3. Borsos/Gauthier (LSU) def. Norberg/Forberg Skogeng (OM) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Marcel Thiemann (OM) def. Neal Skupski (LSU) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-3)
2. Olivier Borsos (LSU) vs. Tucker Vorster (OM) 6-3, 6-7(3)), 1-2, sus.
3. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) def. Jonas Lutjen (OM) 6-3, 6-2
4. Mark Bowtell (LSU) def. Johan Backstrom (OM) 7-5, 6-1
5. Sebastian Carlsson (LSU) def. Chris Thiemann (OM) 6-4, 7-5
6. Adrian Forberg Skogeng (OM) def. Julien Gauthier (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 4, 5, 1