Jan. 22, 2014
Ole Miss Game Notes
The Last Meeting
February 14, 2013
Ole Miss is back on its home floor for its next two games, beginning with a battle with in-state rival, Mississippi State on Thursday. Tip is set for 6 p.m. and is the first of two "We Back Pat" games for the Rebels this week. Fans can also follow the action with in-game tweets (@OleMissWBB) and also with live stats on OleMissSports.com.
Game 20: Ole Miss (9-10, 0-5 SEC) vs. Mississippi State (14-5, 1-4 SEC)
Date: January 23, 2014
Time: 6:00 p.m. (CT)
Location: Oxford, Miss. (Tad Smith Coliseum)
Series: Ole Miss leads, 62-23
Streak: Ole Miss has won one
Upcoming Women's Basketball Promotions:
Thursday Jan, 23 vs. Mississippi State -Take a Kid to the Game Day/We Back Pat
-Free for kids 12 and under
-Valencia McFarland Poster Giveaway
-Beat State T-shirts
-Trading Card Pack #2
-Wear Purple to Support the SEC's "We Back Pat" Week
Sunday Jan. 26 vs. LSU- Faith and Family Day/We Back Pat
-Free admission with your church bulletin
-Wear Purple to Support the SEC's "We Back Pat" Week
1. Ole Miss dropped a 68-65 heartbreaker to Arkansas on Sunday (Jan. 19). The loss was Ole Miss' fifth straight loss and was the sixth straight win for Arkansas in the series between the two teams. With the loss, Ole Miss is now winless in its last 10 SEC games, dating back to the 2012-13 season.
2. Valencia McFarland was named to the 2014 Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List on Jan. 15. The award is given to the nation's top point guard. McFarland is one of 29 players on the Watch List and joins Arkansas' Calli Berna, Tennessee's Ariel Massengale and Texas A&M's Jordan Jones.
3. McFarland scored 25 points against Arkansas, marking her seventh 20-point game of the season and the 20th of her career. She has scored 20 or more points in back-to-back games on two occasions this season and added a career-best 28 against Vanderbilt.
4. Monique Jackson had a career afternoon against Arkansas. The Phenix City, Ala., native scored 11 points and grabbed six rebounds in 18 minutes. The 11 points were a career-high, besting her previous high of eight, which she set on five occasions.
5. Ole Miss is getting closer and close to breaking through. Despite dropping its last five games and six of its last seven, Ole Miss has played opponents close. Losses to Vanderbilt and Arkansas were by a combined nine points and in SEC play the Rebels have lost three of their five games by nine points or less.
Ole Miss vs. Mississippi State Notables
-This will be the 86th meeting between the Rebels and Bulldogs. Ole Miss owns a 62-23 series advantage, but the Bulldogs have won six of the last seven meetings. Prior to an Ole Miss win last season had won the last six meetings between the rivals.
-Legendary women's basketball coach, Van Chancellor, and former Ole Miss head coach has unique ties to both programs. Chancellor is a 1965 graduate of Mississippi State and served as the head women's basketball coach at Ole Miss from 1978-1997. Chancellor led the Rebels to the NCAA Tournament 14 times and to the 1992 SEC regular-season title with a perfect 11-0 record.
-Ole Miss and Mississippi State have two non-conference opponents in common in Southeastern Louisiana and Mississippi Valley State. Both teams earned victories against the teams. Additionally, Mississippi State took on Middle Tennessee State in non-conference action, falling to the Blue Raiders. The Raiders are coached by Rick Insell, the father of Ole Miss head coach Matt Insell.
A Win Would
-Snap the Rebels current five-game losing streak and its 10-game winless streak in SEC action. The win would also give Ole Miss its first SEC victory of the season.
A Loss Would
-Drop Ole Miss to 0-6 in SEC action and give the Bulldogs their seventh win in the last eight meetings between the teams.
Scouting Mississippi State
Mississippi State enters Thursday's game with a 14-5, 1-4 SEC record and on a two-game skid after a 73-65 road game at Texas A&M. Mississippi State is led by three players in double figures. Martha Alwal leads the way with 15.6 points per game while Kendra Grant and Dominique Dillingham are averaging 12.5 and 10.2 points per game, respectively. Alwal leads the rebounding efforts with 8.3 rebounds per game while Breanna Richardson is pulling down 6.2 rebounds per game. As a team, Mississippi State is averaging 74.9 points per game and 41.7 rebounds per game. Head coach Vic Shafer is in his second season at Mississippi State.
About Ole Miss
Ole Miss enters Thursday's game with a 9-10, 0-5 SEC record after falling 68-65 in heartbreaking fashion to Arkansas in Fayetteville on Sunday. The loss was the fifth straight for the Rebels and kept them winless in SEC action. Valencia McFarland leads the Ole Miss offense with 16.2 points per game. She is joined in double-figures by teammates Tia Faleru and Diara Moore who are averaging 15.6 and 10.8 points per game, respectively. Faleru leads the way on the glass and is pulling down 9.4 rebounds per game and has posted nine double-doubles on the season. McFarland, a 2014 Lieberman Award Watch List selection, is second in the SEC in assists with 6.2 per game. The Rebels are averaging 75.6 points per game and are pulling down 43.3 rebounds.
Ole Miss returns to the Tad Pad on Sunday when they welcome No. 15/14 LSU to Oxford for a televised contest. Tipoff is set for 1 p.m. and will air on SEC TV.