Jan. 29, 2014
Ole Miss Game Notes South Carolina Game Notes
Ole Miss takes on its second consecutive nationally-ranked opponent when the Rebels travel to Columbia, S.C., to take on No. 7/10 South Carolina on Thursday (Jan. 30). Tipoff is set for 6 p.m. (CT) from South Carolina's Colonial Life Arena. Fans can follow the action with in-game tweets (@OleMissWBB) and also with live stats on OleMissSports.com.
Game 22: Ole Miss (10-11, 1-6 SEC) vs. No. 7/10 South Carolina (6-1, 18-2 SEC)
Date: January 30, 2014
Time: 6:00 p.m. (CT)
Location: Columbia, S.C. (Colonial Life Arena)
Series: Ole Miss leads, 17-15
Streak: South Carolina has won four
Upcoming Women's Basketball Promotions:
Sunday Feb. 2 vs. Florida - National Girl's and Women in Sport Day
-Trading Pack No. 3 Giveaway
-Oxford High Dance Team Halftime performance
Thursday, Feb. 6 vs Tennessee - Military Appreciation Day
-Free admission for current and former military personnel
-Ole Miss Dog Tag Giveaway
1. Ole Miss dropped a 66-56 contest on Sunday (Jan. 26) at the hands of No. 14/15 LSU at Tad Smith Coliseum. The loss dropped the Rebels to 10-11, 1-6 in SEC action and comes on the heels of a thrilling 87-85 overtime victory over in-state rival Mississippi State on Thursday (Jan. 23). The loss was Ole Miss' sixth in the last seven games.
2. Senior guard Valencia McFarland picked up her 400th career assist vs. LSU. McFarland has exactly 400 assists and has recorded over 100 assists in each of her four years. The Edwards, Miss., native becomes one of just seven players in program history with 1,000 points and 400 assists.
3. Diara Moore was back in double figures for the Rebels on Sunday with a team-best 17 points vs. LSU. Moore, who has recorded 12 games in double figures this season, hadn't reached double figures in the last five games. Moore is Ole Miss' third-best scorer and averages 11.0 points per game.
4. With her 10 points against LSU, Valencia McFarland recorded her 78th game in double figures. She currently ranks seventh all-time at Ole Miss and if she scores double figures the rest of the way she could move up to No. 6 with 87 career games in double figures
5. Valencia McFarland was named to the 2014 Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List on Jan. 15. The award is given to the nation's top point guard. McFarland is one of 29 players on the Watch List and joins Arkansas' Calli Berna, Tennessee's Ariel Massengale and Texas A&M's Jordan Jones.
Ole Miss vs. South Carolina Notables
-This will be the 33rd meeting between the Rebels and Gamecocks. Ole Miss owns a 17-15 series advantage but has dropped each of the last four meetings between the teams. South Carolina owns an 8-5 advantage in Columbia. The Rebels last won in Columbia in 2008-09, taking a 66-65 win over the Gamecocks.
-Ole Miss assistant Alex Simmons and Nikki McCray both played their collegiate basketball at Tennessee while McCray and Rebel assistant coach Tai Dillard both spent time in the WNBA with the San Antonio Silver Stars. Dillard played with the Silver Stars from 2003-05 and McCray was there for the 2005 season.
A Win Would
-Give the Rebels their second win in the last three games and snap a four-game skid to the Gamecocks. It's would also be the first win for Ole Miss in Columbia since the 2008-09 season. The win would also give the Rebels a win over a ranked opponent for the first time this season and the first since the 2010-11 season.
A Loss Would
-Drop Ole Miss to 1-7 in SEC action and give South Carolina its fifth consecutive win in the series. Additionally, it would be move the Gamecocks to 9-5 in games played on their home floor.
Scouting No. 7/8 South Carolina
South Carolina enters Thursday's game with a 6-1, 18-2 record and sitting in second place in the SEC after a 61-57 road win over No. 16/19 Vanderbilt on Sunday. The win was the second consecutive for the Gamecocks and the ninth win in the last 10 games. Tiffany Mitchell leads the offense and is scoring 15.3 points per game while Aleighsa Welch and Alaina Coates are also in double figures with 13.7 and 11.7 points per game, respectively. Coates and Welch are leading the rebounding efforts averaging 7.9 and 7.8 rebounds per game. The Gamecocks haven't dropped a home game this season and are sporting an 11-0 record and are 3-0 against SEC foes in Columbia. As a team, South Carolina is averaging 73.9 points per game and 41.4 rebounds. Head coach Dawn Staley is in her sixth year.
About Ole Miss
Ole Miss enters Thursday's contest with a 10-11, 1-6 SEC record after dropping a hard-fought 66-56 contest to No. 14/15 LSU on Sunday in Oxford. The loss was the sixth loss in the last seven games for the Rebels. Valencia McFarland, who has played every minute of the last four games, leads Ole Miss with 16.4 points per game and 6.4 assists per game. She is joined in double figures by teammates Tia Faleru and Diara Moore, who are averaging 16.1 and 11.0 points per game, respectively. Faleru leads the way on the glass and is pulling down 9.6 rebounds per game and has recorded 10 double-doubles this season. The Rebels are averaging 75.2 points per game and are pulling down 42.6 rebounds.
Ole Miss returns home on Sunday for a televised contest with Florida. The Rebels and Gators will square off on SEC TV. Tip is set for 1:04 p.m. (CT) at the Tad Smith Coliseum.