Nov. 7, 2012
OLE MISS REBELS (0-0, 0-0 SEC)
Acting head coach: Brett Frank (SOSU, 1995)
Career record: 0-0, Record at Ole Miss: 0-0
SELA LIONS (0-0, 0-0 SLC)
Head coach: Lori Davis Jones (SELA, 1992)
Career record: 304-257 (18 yrs.) Record at SELA: 126-160 (10 yrs.)
Date/Time: Fri., Nov. 9 / 5:30 p.m. CT
Site: Oxford, Miss. |Tad Smith Colisuem (8,867)
Radio: Q 93.7 FM
Talent: Graham Doty (play-by-play)
Streaming Video: RebelVision
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissWBB
Oxford: UM, 10-0
Hammond: UM, 4-0
First meeting: 2/10/79 - UM, 110-93
Last meeting: 12/11/10 - UM, 85-51
Frank vs. SELA: 0-0
• Ole Miss will open the 2012-13 season with a five-game homestand, starting with SELA on Nov. 9 at 5:30 p.m.
• The Rebels are 14-0 all-time against SELA including a 10-0 mark at the Tad Smith Coliseum.
• Ole Miss is 32-6 all-time in season openers. The Rebels have won nine of their last 10 season openers dating back to 2002-03.
• The Rebels have not lost a season opener at home since 1998.
• Junior point guard Valencia McFarland enters her junior season with 776 career points and is looking to become the 25th player in school history to score at least 1,000 career points.
• In addition to playing its first five games of the season at home, Ole Miss and will play seven of its first eight on Oxford.
• Ole Miss returns three starters and eight letterwinners from last season's team.
Ole Miss will continue its five-game homestand on Nov. 16, hosting Northwestern State at 11 a.m. in the annual Kid's Day Game.
About Ole Miss
Ole Miss opens their 39th season of play in 2012-13 with a home game on Nov. 9 at 5:30 p.m. when the Rebels host SELA. The Rebels return three starters and eight letterwinners from last season's team and welcome three newcomers in junior transfer Diara Moore, redshirt freshman Gracie Frizzell and freshman Destini Price. Brett Frank is in his first year as acting head coach for the Rebels. He has a career record of 0-0.
Follow the Rebels
Ole Miss' regular-season games can be heard on WTNM Supertalk Mississippi (105.5 FM) or Q93.7 FM with the pregame show starting 15 minutes before tipoff. Graham Doty, in his second season calling Ole Miss women's basketball games, will be on the call.
Game updates via Twitter will be available all season at @OleMissWBB. All home games that are not on TV will be streamed online through the subscription-based RebelVision.
McFarland Named Preseason All-SEC
Junior point guard Valencia McFarland has been named to the Preseason Second Team All-SEC as voted on by the league's 14 coaches, the SEC announced Nov. 6.
McFarland, a native of Edwards, Miss., was a Second Team All-SEC selection as a sophomore. Last season, she led the team, and was in the top of the SEC in several statistical categories, including points, assist, steals and minutes played. McFarland enters the 2102-13 season poised to break into the 1,000 career-point club as she has scored 776 career points during her first two seasons with the Rebels.
Ole Miss leads the all-time series with SELA, 14-0. The two teams last met during the 2011-12 season with the Rebels posting a 72-52 win over the Lions. SELA is led by seniors Brandi Simmons and Cierra Morris. The Lions ended last season 12-18 overall and 7-9 in the Soutland Conference (East). SELA returns two starters and five letterwinners, including Aja Gibson who led the team in scoring last season (11.3 ppg).
In the last meeting, Kenyotta Jenkins scored 12 points for Ole Miss while Danielle McCray added seven. The Rebels outrebounded the Lions 49-45 in the game with Jenkins grabbing eight rebounds. In the all-time series, Ole Miss has scored at least 80 points on seven occasions, including a series-high 110 in a win in 1979.
• Give Ole Miss its tenth season-opening win in the last 11 seasons.
• Give acting head coach Brett Frank his first career head coaching victory.
• Hand the Rebels its first season-opening loss since the 2007-08 season and only the second since the 2002-03 season.
• Zooperstars performing at halftime
• Recognition of 1992 SEC Championship team
• Post-game autographs
• Stay for men's game vs. Mississippi Valley State following at 8 PM FREE
• Women's basketball season ticket holders may pick up two FREE tickets to 11/10 football game vs. Vandy. Not a season ticket holder? Visit olemisshoops.com to purchase them for just $65.
Career Numbers Watch
Junior point guard Valencia McFarland enters her third season at Ole Miss with a total of 776 career points 265 career assists. She is aiming to become the 25th player in school history to record at least 1,000 career points. If she accomplishes the feat this season as a junior, she would be the 14th player in school history to hit 1,000 career points as a junior.
McFarland also has another program milestone to keep her eye on during her career, as she aims to become just the thrid person in Ole Miss history to score at least 1,000 point, 500 assists and 250 steals. McFarland currently has 776 points, 265 assists and 104 steals. She's looking to join Carol Ross (1977-81) and Glenda Springfield (1975-79).