Rebels Tipoff 2013-14 Season on Friday
Nov. 7, 2013
Ole Miss opens the 2013-14 season and the Matt Insell era when it hosts Jacksonville State on Friday (Nov. 8) at 5 p.m. at the Tad Smith Coliseum. The game is the first of a doubleheader with the men's team, who will take on Troy at 7:30 p.m.
Game 1: Ole Miss (0-0) vs. Jacksonville State (0-0)
2. The Rebels open their 40th season of women's basketball on Friday. Friday's game will be No. 1,194 since the first varsity season back in 1974-75. Ole Miss has an all-time record of 754-439.
3. Ole Miss is looking for its sixth consecutive season-opening victory on Friday. The last time that the Rebels dropped a season opener was during the 2007-08 season at Nebraska. The last time Ole Miss dropped a season opener at home was during the 1998-99 season when they fell to Clemson, 76-54.
4. Ole Miss' home and season opener on Friday marks the fifth consecutive season Ole Miss has opened the season at home. The last time Ole Miss opened the season on the road was during the 2008-09 season in the preseason WNIT. The Rebels have an all-time record of 36-3 in home openers.
5. Senior guard Valencia McFarland enters Friday's game having started each of the last 78 games. McFarland has started each game of the last two seasons and has started 86 of her 87 career games.
Ole Miss vs. Jacksonville State Notables
-In addition to Jacksonville State, Ole Miss will take on Austin Peay and Tennessee State from the Ohio Valley Conference in non-conference action this season. The Rebels are 27-5 against teams from the OVC.
-Friday's meeting will be a matchup between two coaches in their first year at their respective institutions. Jacksonville State head coach Rick Pietri, like Ole Miss head coach Matt Insell, is entering is first season with the Gamecocks after spending the last 13 season as head coach at South Alabama. Also a team the Rebels will face during the non-conference slate.
A Win Would
-Give the Rebels their sixth consecutive season-opening victory and their ninth home-opening victory.
-Move Ole Miss to 28-5 against teams from the Ohio Valley Conference.
A Loss Would
Scouting Jacksonville State
About Ole Miss
Let's Get It Started
McFarland Named Preseason All-SEC
Youth Be Served (And We Aren't Talking About The Players)
Recapping The Exhibition Win Over Christian Brothers
Rebels on the Airwaves
Rebels in the SEC Preseason Polls
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT
- Athletics Leadership
- Compliance and Disassociations
- Media Relations
- News Archives
- Spirit Squads
- Staff Directory
- This is Ole Miss
- FOR STUDENT-ATHLETES
- FedEx Student Athlete Success Center
- Health and Sports Performance
- M-Club Alumni Chapter
- Student-Athlete Development
- Rebels' Choice Awards
- Social Media
- E-Newsletter Sign Up
- Charitable Donations
- Contact Us
- Poster/Schedule Card Request
- Media and Downloads
- Ole Miss Sports Apps
- Calendar Schedule
- Sync Your Calendar
- Desktop Backgrounds
- School Song Downloads
- FOR KIDS
- Camps and Clinics
- Rebel Kids Club
- Birthdays with the Rebels
- Chairback Rentals
- Gameday Central [Football] [Basketball] [Baseball]
- Rebel Windows
- Visitor's Guide
- What To Wear