Kenyotta Jenkins (photo by Joshua McCoy)
Nov. 14, 2012
OLE MISS REBELS (1-0, 0-0 SEC)
Acting head coach: Brett Frank (SOSU, 1995)
Career record: 1-0 (1 yr.) Record at Ole Miss: Same
NORTHWESTERN STATE LADY DEMONS (2-0, 0-0 SLC)
Co-head coaches: Brooke Stoehr (LA Tech, 2002) & Scott Stoehr (Nebraska Wesleyan, 1997)
Career record: 2-0 (1 yr.) Record at Northwestern State: Same
Date/Time: Fri., Nov. 16 / 11 a.m. CT
Site: Oxford, Miss. | Tad Smith Coliseum (8,867)
Talent: Graham Doty (play-by-play)
Streaming Video: RebelVision
Live Stats: OleMissSports.com
Twitter Updates: @OleMissWBB
Overall: UM, 3-1
Oxford: UM, 3-0
Neutral: NWSU, 1-0
Last meeting: 12/27/08 - UM, 92-64
Frank vs. Northwestern State: 0-0
• Ole Miss will continue its five-game homestand to open the season when the team hosts Northwestern State on Friday at 11 a.m. for the annual Kid’s Day game.
• The Rebels are 3-1 all-time against Northwestern State and have won the last two meetings in 2008 and 1994.
• Junior guard Diara Moore scored a career-best 25 points in Ole Miss’ season opener against SELA. Her 25 points were the second-most points scored by a player in the SEC during the opening weekend.
• Acting head coach Brett Frank earned his first win as a head coach with the Rebels’ 95-85 win over SELA on Nov. 9.
• The 95 points Ole Miss scored against the Lions marks the most points by a Rebel team since the 2009-10 season when the team scored at least 95 points four times.
• Junior point guard Valencia McFarland has recorded 780 career points and is looking to become the 25th player in school history to score at least 1,000 career points.
Ole Miss will host Lamar on Monday, Nov. 19 at 7 p.m.
SCOUTING NORTHWESTERN STATE
Ole Miss leads the all-time series with Northwestern State, 3-1. The Rebels enter Friday’s game on a two-game winning streak against the Lady Demons having won in 2008 and 1994. In the last meeting between the two schools on Dec. 27, 2008, the Rebels posted a 92-64 victory in Oxford.
Northwestern State is 2-0 this season and is coming off a 55-50 win over Alcorn State on Monday. The Lady Demons are led by Janelle Perez who leads the team in scoring, averaging 15.0 ppg. Jasmine Upchurch leads the team in rebounding, averaging 7.0 rpg.
ABOUT OLE MISS
Coming off a 95-85 season-opening win over SELA on Nov. 9, Ole Miss will host Northwestern State on Friday, Nov. 16 at 11 a.m. in the annual Kid’s Day Game. The Rebels are led by newcomer Diara Moore, who scored 25 points against SELA, and junior Kenyotta Jenkins who scored a career-high 13 points and added 10 rebounds to record her second career double-double. Brett Frank is in his first year as acting head coach for the Rebels. He has a career
FOLLOW THE REBELS
Ole Miss’ regular-season games can be heard on WTNM Supertalk Mississippi (105.5 FM) or Q93.7 FM with the pregame show starting 15 minutes before tipoff. Graham Doty, in his second season calling Ole Miss women’s basketball games, will be on the call.
Game updates via Twitter will be available all season at @OleMissWBB. All home games that are noton TV will be streamed online through the subscription-based RebelVision.
A WIN FRIDAY WOULD ...
• Give Ole Miss back-to-back wins for the first time since Jan. 12 & 15, 2012.
• Give acting head coach Brett Frank a 2-0 start to his career at Ole Miss. He would join Van Chancellor as the only other Rebel head coach to start their career at Ole Miss 2-0. Chancellor started his first year 7-0.
A LOSS FRIDAY WOULD ...
• Give the Rebels their second consecutive 1-1 start to begin a season.
OLE MISS IN THE SEC STATS (AS OF 11/13/12)
As a team, Ole Miss is second in the SEC in scoring offense (95.0 ppg), fourth in field goal percentage (.451), fourth in three-point field goal percentage (.350), tied for fifth in offensive rebounds (21) and tied for fifth in three-point field goals made (7). Individually, Diara Moore is first in scoring (25.0 ppg), Courtney Marbra is tied for first in field goal percentage (.833), Kenyotta Jenkins is tied for fifth in rebounding (10.0 ppg) and Valencia McFarland is tied for sixth in assists (5).
• Friday’s game is at 11 a.m. as part of the 10th annual Kid’s Day game where all local students (eighth grade and under), teachers and bus drivers receive free admission to the game. Kings of the Court will perform at the half.
MOORE SCORES 25 IN SEASON-OPENING WIN
Newcomer, junior transfer Diara Moore, recorded a career-best 25 points for Ole Miss in the team’s season-opening win over SELA on Nov. 9. She ended the game 7-13 from the floor and 9-13 from the free throw line. Moore’s 25 points are the most from an Ole Miss player since Jan. 15, 2012 when Valencia McFarland scored 25 at Alabama.
FIVE PLAYERS SCORE IN DOUBLE FIGURES IN SEASON OPENER
Ole Miss had five players score in double figures against SELA, marking the first time since Jan. 24, 2010 that the Rebels had five players score in double figures. Diara Moore scored 25 points followed by Kenyotta Jenkins (13), Courtney Marbra (12), Amber Singletary (11) and Gracie Frizzell (10).