Renee Ladner (Robert Jordan)
Dec. 1, 2011
Ole Miss Game Notes
Ole Miss (5-1) vs. Grambling State (2-2)
Date: December 3, 2011
Time: 2 p.m. CT
Location: Oxford, Miss.
Arena: Tad Smith Coliseum
Radio: 105.5 FM (Graham Doty)
Live Streaming: OleMissSports.com
Live Blog: OleMissSports.com
Series: Ole Miss leads, 4-0
- Ole Miss won its fourth-straight game Tuesday, beating UAPB. The Rebels are looking to post their fifth-straight win on Saturday when the team hosts Grambling State at 2 p.m.
- Ole Miss leads the all-time series with Grambling State, 4-0, including a 106-64 win over the Lady Tigers on December 16, 2004.
- Senior Nikki Byrd (14.0 ppg) and sophomore Valencia McFarland (14.0 ppg) lead Ole Miss in scoring.
- Byrd recorded her ninth career double-double against UAPB with 11 points and 12 rebounds. It was her fourth consecutive double-double.
- Byrd (12.0 rpg) and freshman Danielle McCray (5.2 rpg) lead the team in rebounding. Byrd is fourth in the nation in rebounding in the latest NCAA stats released on November 27 and is currently ranked first in the SEC.
- Sophomore Valencia McFarland earned two preseason honors being named to the All-SEC Second Team by the league's media and the league's coaches.
- Head coach Renee Ladner is in her fifth season at the helm. She has a career record of 63-66 overall and 21-39 in SEC play.
OLE MISS HOSTS GRAMBLING STATE SATURDAY
The Rebels will host Grambling State Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m., looking to win its fifth-straight game. Ole Miss (5-1 overall) is 3-0 at home this season.
ABOUT OLE MISS
Ole Miss is 5-1 this season after beating UAPB Tuesday night at home. The Rebels are led by Nikki Byrd (14.0 ppg, 12.0 rpg) and Valencia McFarland (14.0 ppg, 27 assists). Freshman Danielle McCray is second on the team in rebounding, averaging 5.2 rebounds per game. Head coach Renee Ladner is in her fifth season at the helm.
OLE MISS VS. GRAMBLING STATE
Ole Miss leads the all-time series, 4-0. The Rebels won the last meeting, 106-64, on December 16, 2004 in Oxford.
A LOOK AT GRAMBLING STATE
Grambling State is 2-2 this season, most recently falling to Arkansas on November 25. The Lady Tigers do not have overall stats available.
A WIN SATURDAY WOULD .....
- Give Ole Miss a 6-1 start to the year which would tie for the second-best start under head coach Renee Ladner. The 2008-09 team started 7-0 while the 2009-10 team started 6-1.
- Push the Rebels' winning streak to five games, the longest since the 2009-10 season when Ole Miss won five straight from January 6 - January 24.
- Keep Ole Miss undefeated at home this season with a 4-0 mark.
A LOSS SATURDAY WOULD .....
- Snap Ole Miss' four game-winning streak.
- Hand Ole Miss its 10th loss at home dating back
to the start of the 2010-11 season.
NEWS AND NOTES
All 13 players who saw minutes against UAPB recorded at least one point ... Ole Miss had a team-high four players score in double-figures in the win at UMass (Nikki Byrd, Valencia McFarland, Amber Singletary and Whitney Hameth) ... Nikki Byrd has scored a team-high 26 points this season while also recording a team-high 17 rebounds ... Five of Ole Miss' six games this season have been decided by nine points or less ... Freshman Amber Singletary recorded a career-high 11 points in a win at UMass ... Valencia McFarland, Nikki Byrd and LaTosha Laws have started each game for Ole Miss ... Nikki Byrd has averaged a double-double for four consecutive weeks ... Valencia McFarland (SEMO) and Amber Singletary (UAPB) have each recorded six steals in a game this season ... Ole Miss held South Alabama without a player scoring in double figures marking the first time since November 19, 2006 that the Rebels did not allow a player on an opposing team to score in double figures.
BYRD RANKED FOURTH IN THE NATION IN REBOUDNING
In the latest NCAA stats released November 27, senior forward Nikki Byrd is fourth in the nation in rebounding, averaging 12.0 rebounds per game. The NCAA stats will be released again on Monday, December 5.
BYRD RECORDS NINTH CAREER DOUBLE-DOUBLE
Senior Nikki Byrd recorded her ninth career double-double in a win against UAPB with 11 points and 12 rebounds. It is her fourth double-double of the season and she is the only Ole Miss player to record a double-double this season. Byrd is the first player to record four consecutive double-doubles since Armintie Price in 2007.
Byrd, along with junior Courtney Marbra and sophomore Pa'Sonna Hope, are the three active players with double-doubles.
Active Players With Double-Doubles
Nikki Byrd 4 9
Courtney Marbra 0 2
Pa'Sonna Hope 0 2
OLE MISS IN THE SEC STATS
As of November 30, Ole Miss is third in the SEC in free throw percentage (67.3), third in rebounding offense (45.8) and third in offensive rebounds (20.3). Individually, Nikki Byrd and Valencia McFarland are tied for seventh in scoring (14.0 ppg). Byrd is first in rebounding (12.0 rpg) and eighth in field goal percentage (56.9). McFarland is first in minutes played (35.3 mpg) fifth in assists (4.8 apg) and ninth in steals (2.3 spg).
SINGLETARY RECORDS CAREER-HIGH IN STEALS
Freshman guard Amber Singletary recorded a career-high six steals against UAPB. For the season, Singletary is tied with Valencia McFarland for most steals in a game by an Ole Miss player. McFarland recorded six in a win at SEMO.
HAMETH STEPPING UP
Senior Whiney Hameth has recorded back-to-back games in which she's scored in double figures. At UMass, Hameth scored 10 points and added a season-best 14 points in a win against UAPB. For the season, Hameth is third on the team in scoring, averaging 5.8 points per game. She is averaging 2.6 rebounds per game and has recorded seven assists and zero turnovers.
BYRD NEARING 100 CAREER GAMES PLAYED
Senior Nikki Byrd has played in 97 career games. She has played in at least 29 games over each of her first three years at Ole Miss and is the team's active leader in career games played. Byrd has started all games this season.
MCCRAY CONSISTENT FOR REBELS
Freshman Danielle McCray has played in all of the team's games this season and started the first game of the year against North Florida. For the year, she is averaging 5.0 points per game and is second in rebounding averaging 5.2 boards per game. McCray has recorded at least five points in three game this year and at least five rebounds in four games.