Dec. 29, 2013
Ole Miss Game Notes
The Rebels look to close out the non-conference slate with a victory on Monday afternoon when they take on Austin Peay to close non-conference slate. Tipoff is at 11:30 a.m. at Ole Miss' Tad Smith Coliseum. Fans can follow the action with in-game tweets (@OleMissWBB) and also with live stats on OleMissSports.com.
Game 14: Ole Miss (8-4) v Austin Peay (3-9)
Date: December 30, 2013
Time: 11:30 a.m. (CT)
Location: Oxford, Miss. (Tad Smith Coliseum)
Series: Ole Miss leads, 2-0
Streak: Ole Miss has won 2
1. Ole Miss had its seven-game win streak snapped with an 87-80 loss to No. 9/9 Baylor on Dec. 18. The seven-game win streak was the longest win streak for the Rebels since opening the 2008-09 season with seven consecutive victories in 2008-09.
2. Tia Faleru picked up her eight double-double of the season and her 13th career double-double with 22 points and 10 rebounds. The double-double was her third consecutive and marks the first time a Rebel has had three straight double-doubles since Nikki Byrd in the 20011-12 season.
3. Valencia McFarland was one rebound shy of the third triple double in program history against Baylor with 17 points, 12 assists and nine rebounds. McFarland also flirted with a triple double against Washington State with nine points, seven rebounds and seven assists. Her 12 assists against Baylor is a new career high.
4. Tia Faleru's 22 points against Baylor marked the third consecutive game in which an Ole Miss player scored 20+ points. Ole Miss has had a player reach the 20-point milestone in six of its seven games and Faleru has reached the mark three times this season. Valencia McFarland leads Ole Miss active players with 17 career games of 20 or more points.
5. Valencia McFarland played in her 100th career game against Baylor and made her 90th consecutive start against the Bears. McFarland has started in 99 of the 100 games she has played in during her collegiate career.
Ole Miss vs. Austin Peay Notables
-This will be the third meeting between Ole Miss and Austin Peay and the first meeting since the 1982-83 season. The Rebels have a 2-0 series lead and last defeated the Governors, 102-48 in Oxford. This will be the second meeting in Oxford between the teams.
-Austin Peay has two Mississippi natives on their squad in Alexis Hardaway (Byhalia, Miss) and Aspriona Gilbert (Myrtle, Miss.). Ole Miss lone Tennessee natives is head coach Matt Insell and assistant coach Alex Simmons who both hail from Shelbyville.
-This will be Ole Miss' second opponent from the Ohio Valley Conference. The Rebels also took on Tennessee State earlier this season. Ole Miss is 29-5 against teams from the OVC.
A Win Would
-Give the Rebels nine wins on the season, equaling their win total from 2012-13. Additionally, it would give the Rebels their seventh win at home and sixth consecutive win at the Tad Pad. With a win, Ole Miss would close the non-conference slate with a 9-5 record.
A Loss Would
-Snap Ole Miss' six-game home win streak and give Ole Miss its second non-conference home loss this season. The Rebels haven't lost more than one game to a non-conference foe since the 1980-81 season. Additionally, it would be Austin Peay's first win in the series.
Scouting Austin Peay
Austin Peay enters Monday's game with a 3-9 record and on a six-game losing streak after dropping games to Wichita State and Omaha on Dec. 21 and Dec. 22. The Governors are led by Tiasha Gray who is averaging 14.3 points per game. She is joined in double figures by Kristen Stainback who is contributing 10.6 points per game. Beth Rates and Tearra Banks lead the rebounding efforts with 5.7 and 5.6 rebounds per game, respectively. Austin Peay is averaging 65.6 points per game and 41.1 rebounds per game. Head coach Carrie Daniels, an Austin Peay alum, is in her eighth season on the sidelines.
About Ole Miss
Ole Miss enters the final non-conference game of the season with a 8-5 record after dropping a 87-80 road contest to No. 9/9 Baylor on Dec. 18. The loss snapped Ole Miss' seven-game winning streak. Tia Faleru and Valencia McFarland continue to lead the Rebel offense. Faleru leads the team with 16.8 points per game and 10.2 rebounds per game, while McFarland is averaging 15.7 points per game. Diara Moore is the other Rebel in double figures with 11.2 points per game. Danielle McCray is key for the Rebels on the glass and is the second leading rebounder with 6.2 rebounds per game. As team, Ole Miss is averaging 74.8 points per game and 45.5 rebounds per game.
The Rebels will open up SEC action on Thursday (Jan. 2) when they host Missouri at 6 p.m. at the Tad Smith Coliseum.