Five-Run Third Dooms Ole Miss Softball vs. Southern Miss
March 4, 2018
OXFORD, Miss. - Ole Miss (13-3) grabbed an early lead against in-state foe Southern Miss (9-10) Sunday night but some uncharacteristic play in the third led to five Golden Eagle runs, building a wall the Rebels were unable to climb over in the final game of the Ole Miss Classic.
Kaitlin Lee took her first loss of the season, adding a blemish to her eight wins on the year. The senior got through the first two frames unscathed but didn't have her normal stuff in the third, allowing five runs before being lifted for freshman Anna Borgen.
Borgen got things back on track with 4.1 scoreless frames but by then the Rebels had built a deficit they couldn't come back from. Ole Miss managed just five hits in the game, two off the bat of senior Paige McKinney.
The Rebels took a one-run lead in the second as Alex Schneider led off with a walk before McKinney drove a two-out triple into the right-center gap to bring the senior first baseman home.
The momentum didn't last long, though. After the Golden Eagles tied the ball game with an RBI single up the middle by Destini Brown, Lee was able to get the second out on a grounder to catcher Autumn Gillespie. However, USM followed with four-straight singles to bring in four runs and chase the Rebel ace. After tossing a wild pitch to score the fifth run of the frame, Borgen settled down and retired the side but the damage had been done at that point.
The Rebels pulled a run closer in the sixth when McKinney brought Amanda Roth home with a ground ball to second but the rally ended there.
The Rebels won't have to dwell on the defeat for long, jumping right back into action on Tuesday at 6 p.m. in a mid-week clash with Boston College. The game will be televised nationally on the SEC Network, with Matt Schick and Kayla Braud on the call. Following Tuesday's game, Ole Miss opens SEC play March 9-11 at Texas A&M.
- The five runs allowed are the most for Ole Miss against Southern Miss since the 2013 season, when the Rebels were defeated by USM 7-4 in Oxford.
- Despite the loss, Ole Miss continues to lead the all-time series 20-12. The Rebels have won six of the last eight meeting between the in-state schools.
- Freshman third baseman Amanda Roth finished the Ole Miss Classic with a .833 batting average, going 5-for-6 with two home runs, a double, three walks, two HBPs, five RBIs and three runs scored. Roth posted an on-base percentage of .909 and a 2.000 slugging percentage.
- Following Sunday's performance, freshman Anna Borgen boasts a 0.59 ERA with a .174 opponent batting average and 11 strikeouts to four walks, going 2-0 on the year.
For all Ole Miss softball news and information, go to OleMissSports.com and follow the Rebels on Twitter at @OleMissSoftball, on Facebook at Ole Miss Softball and on Instagram at Instagram.com/olemisssoftball. Fans can also follow head coach Mike Smith on Twitter at @msmithsb16. Additionally, fans can get a behind the scenes look at Ole Miss softball and all of Ole Miss athletics on Snapchat under the handle, @WeAreOleMiss.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT
- Athletics Leadership
- Compliance and Disassociations
- Media Relations
- News Archives
- Spirit Squads
- Staff Directory
- This is Ole Miss
- FOR STUDENT-ATHLETES
- FedEx Student Athlete Success Center
- Health and Sports Performance
- M-Club Alumni Chapter
- Student-Athlete Development
- Rebels' Choice Awards
- Social Media
- E-Newsletter Sign Up
- Charitable Donations
- Contact Us
- Poster/Schedule Card Request
- Media and Downloads
- Ole Miss Sports Apps
- Calendar Schedule
- Sync Your Calendar
- Desktop Backgrounds
- School Song Downloads
- FOR KIDS
- Camps and Clinics
- Rebel Kids Club
- Birthdays with the Rebels
- Chairback Rentals
- Gameday Central [Football] [Basketball] [Baseball]
- Rebel Windows
- Visitor's Guide
- What To Wear