Ole Miss Falls to Boston College in Midweek Matchup
March 6, 2018
OXFORD, Miss. - After giving up three runs in the opening frame, Ole Miss (13-4) was unable to get out of a rut Tuesday night at the Ole Miss Softball Complex, falling to Boston College (6-9) in a midweek tilt, 8-2.
Running into the only real trouble she's faced in the circle during a brilliant freshman campaign to this point, starter Anna Borgen was tagged for three runs on three hits in her only inning, though only one of those runs was earned. Morgan Bruce came on in relief of Borgen to start the fourth and was effective early on. The sophomore lasted three frames in the circle, allowing three runs on four hits.
The Eagles jumped all over Ole Miss in the first inning. The first five batters of the game reached base and while Borgen was able to get the next three outs after that, when it was all said and done Boston College had struck for three runs.
BC added two more runs in the third thanks in part to a Cami Sellers double and Lexi DiEmmanuele triple. The Eagles tacked on an additional run in the fourth and scored twice more in the sixth to bring the run-rule to relevancy.
Ole Miss had something to say about that in the bottom half of the inning. After an Amanda Roth walk and a Kaylee Horton single, Bry Castro entered as a pinch hitter and came up clutch with a bloop single to center, scoring a pair of runs to get the deficit back down to six.
With the top of the order up to start the frame, Ole Miss loaded the bases with nobody out in the seventh. However, the Rebels could not keep the rally train going as Boston College retired the next three Rebels to close out the upset.
The Rebels will look to get over the defeat quickly, travelling to Texas A&M this weekend for the start of SEC action. Ole Miss and the Aggies will battle in a three-game series starting Friday at 6 p.m. The first game of the series will be available on SEC Network +, while the final two games will be broadcasted nationwide on the SEC Network.
- Ole Miss is in the midst of its first losing streak of the season, having fallen 5-2 to Southern Miss in the Ole Miss Classic finale on Sunday.
- The four errors committed by the Rebels are a season-high. Ole Miss had not committed more than two errors in a single game before Tuesday.
- Kaylee Horton was a bright spot for the Rebels in the defeat, going a perfect 3-for-3 at the dish with a run scored.
- The trio of base knocks matches a career-high for the sophomore. Horton also registered three hits against Eastern Kentucky in 2017.
For all Ole Miss softball news and information, go to OleMissSports.com and follow the Rebels on Twitter at @OleMissSoftball, on Facebook at Ole Miss Softball and on Instagram at Instagram.com/olemisssoftball. Fans can also follow head coach Mike Smith on Twitter at @msmithsb16. Additionally, fans can get a behind the scenes look at Ole Miss softball and all of Ole Miss athletics on Snapchat under the handle, @WeAreOleMiss.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT
- Athletics Leadership
- Compliance and Disassociations
- Media Relations
- News Archives
- Spirit Squads
- Staff Directory
- This is Ole Miss
- FOR STUDENT-ATHLETES
- FedEx Student Athlete Success Center
- Health and Sports Performance
- M-Club Alumni Chapter
- Student-Athlete Development
- Rebels' Choice Awards
- Social Media
- E-Newsletter Sign Up
- Charitable Donations
- Contact Us
- Poster/Schedule Card Request
- Media and Downloads
- Ole Miss Sports Apps
- Calendar Schedule
- Sync Your Calendar
- Desktop Backgrounds
- School Song Downloads
- FOR KIDS
- Camps and Clinics
- Rebel Kids Club
- Birthdays with the Rebels
- Chairback Rentals
- Gameday Central [Football] [Basketball] [Baseball]
- Rebel Windows
- Visitor's Guide
- What To Wear