Rebel Softball Dealt Tough Walk-Off Defeat at LSU
April 7, 2018
BATON ROUGE, La. - For the second-straight game, Ole Miss (18-16, 3-11 SEC) came up on the wrong side of a great pitcher's duel as LSU (32-6, 7-3 SEC) walked off with a 1-0 victory on a damp and blustery night at Tiger Park.
Rebel freshman Ava Tillmann was electric in the circle, throwing a complete-game in the loss. Tillmann allowed just three hits total, with the only run scoring on the game-winning solo home run in the seventh.
The two sides combined for just five hits total in the game as neither side could get consistent offense going against the two starting pitchers.
Ole Miss put together its biggest threat in the second inning, when Autumn Gillespie drew a one-out walk and Elantra Cox followed with an infield single. However, Paige McKinney & Amanda Roth both went down swinging to retire the side.
In the fourth, LSU posed a threat to break the scoreless tie when a walk and an HBP put a pair of runners on with one out. Tillmann was able to get the Rebels out of danger, inducing a ground out to first and a swinging strikeout.
The Tigers once again put a runner in scoring position in the sixth as Aliyah Andrews led off with a single off of Tillmann's glove and was sacrificed over the 2nd. Andrews moved to third on a groundout to Roth at third and Shemiah Sanchez got a hold of a pitch but Cox was able to get under it and squeeze out No. 3.
LSU scored the winning run by the slimmest of margins, as Shelbi Sunseri took the first pitch of the bottom of the seventh to deep right field. The ball bounced off the top of the wall and over, handing Ole Miss its second crushing defeat in as many days.
The Rebels and Tigers conclude the three-game set on Sunday, with first pitch set for 1 p.m. The game will be broadcasted on SEC Network +.
- The five combined hits by both teams are tied for the lowest in an Ole Miss game this season.
- Freshman Ava Tillmann went the distance for the third time in her four starts this season.
- Tillmann's three hits allowed tie her career-low for a game lasting at least five innings.
- Tillmann has allowed one earned run or less in three of her four starts in 2018.
- On a night when baserunners were hard to come by, sophomore Autumn Gillespie drew three walks in the game.
For all Ole Miss softball news and information, go to OleMissSports.com and follow the Rebels on Twitter at @OleMissSoftball, on Facebook at Ole Miss Softball and on Instagram at Instagram.com/olemisssoftball. Fans can also follow head coach Mike Smith on Twitter at @msmithsb16.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT
- Athletics Leadership
- Media Relations
- News Archives
- Spirit Squads
- Staff Directory
- This is Ole Miss
- FOR STUDENT-ATHLETES
- FedEx Student Athlete Success Center
- Health and Sports Performance
- M-Club Alumni Chapter
- Student-Athlete Development
- Rebels' Choice Awards
- Social Media
- E-Newsletter Sign Up
- Charitable Donations
- Contact Us
- Poster/Schedule Card Request
- Media and Downloads
- Ole Miss Sports Apps
- Calendar Schedule
- Sync Your Calendar
- Desktop Backgrounds
- School Song Downloads
- FOR KIDS
- Camps and Clinics
- Rebel Kids Club
- Birthdays with the Rebels
- Chairback Rentals
- Gameday Central [Football] [Basketball] [Baseball]
- Rebel Windows
- Visitor's Guide
- What To Wear