Lee Dazzles as Ole Miss Tops No. 14 LSU, 3-1
April 8, 2018
BATON ROUGE, La. -- After throwing 18.2 innings Friday night, Kaitlin Lee was given the ball once again on Sunday and the senior didn't disappoint. Lee flummoxed LSU (32-7, 7-4 SEC) all day long, leading Ole Miss (19-16, 4-11 SEC) to a 3-1 victory in the series finale.
Facing just three batters over the minimum, Lee went the distance in the circle, allowing just two hits and a walk. The Gulfport native took a shutout into the seventh before surrendering a solo home run, the only blemish in an otherwise stellar outing.
After narrowly being outhit in the first two games, Ole Miss easily outpaced LSU in Sunday's affair. The Rebels racked up eight base knocks in the contest compared to the meager two produced by the Tigers.
With neither team looking too dangerous to score through the game's first four frames, Ole Miss put together a threat in the fifth. Elantra Cox slapped a single off of LSU pitcher Maribeth Gorsuch and stole second. Paige McKinney followed with a hard single through the left side as Cox was held at third and McKinney moved up to second. However, LSU got out of the jam with a popup.
The Rebels didn't miss their chance in the next inning, plating three. Kylan Becker got things started with a hustle-double to left-center. After LSU went to the bullpen to bring in ace pitcher Carley Hoover, Celeste Wood followed with an infield single. Brittany Finney then reached on an infield single of her own and the throw to first went wide, allowing Becker to score the opening run.
Autumn Gillespie brought home the Rebels' second run with a grounder to second base and Cox finished things off with an infield single to third, scoring pinch runner Bry Castro. from there with a strike out, foul out and fielder's choice to keep the shutout intact.
The Tigers cut the lead by a run in the seventh with a leadoff solo homer to center field but Lee was able to get the next three batters out, with Becker making a tremendous catch against the wall in left-center for the final out.
Ole Miss will return to action in quick order, starting a six-game home stand Tuesday against Central Arkansas. The game is set for 6 p.m. CT and will be broadcasted live on SEC Network +.
- Ole Miss improves to 3-1 this season on Sundays during SEC play.
- The Rebels have gone 1-2 in each of their last four conference series.
- Senior pitcher Kaitlin Lee threw her ninth complete game of the year, her fourth-straight start going the distance. Lee ranks seventh all-time at Ole Miss with 36-career complete games.
- Lee struck out five LSU batters, marking the fifth time this season the senior has fanned at least five hitters.
- The two hits are tied for the fewest LSU has been held to in 2018. The Tigers were also two-hit in back-to-back non-conference games against UCLA and Oregon.
- Junior Kylan Becker went 2-for-4 with a run scored. Becker has hit safely in four of her last five games, three of which were multi-hit contests.
- Senior Elantra Cox was the only other Rebel with multiple hits. Cox has also hit safely in four of the last five games.
- Junior Brittany Finney finished 1-for-3 at the plate. Finney has registered a base knock in five of the last six games and is riding a six-game reached base streak.
For all Ole Miss softball news and information, go to OleMissSports.com and follow the Rebels on Twitter at @OleMissSoftball, on Facebook at Ole Miss Softball and on Instagram at Instagram.com/olemisssoftball. Fans can also follow head coach Mike Smith on Twitter at @msmithsb16.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT
- Athletics Leadership
- Media Relations
- News Archives
- Spirit Squads
- Staff Directory
- This is Ole Miss
- FOR STUDENT-ATHLETES
- FedEx Student Athlete Success Center
- Health and Sports Performance
- M-Club Alumni Chapter
- Student-Athlete Development
- Rebels' Choice Awards
- Social Media
- E-Newsletter Sign Up
- Charitable Donations
- Contact Us
- Poster/Schedule Card Request
- Media and Downloads
- Ole Miss Sports Apps
- Calendar Schedule
- Sync Your Calendar
- Desktop Backgrounds
- School Song Downloads
- FOR KIDS
- Camps and Clinics
- Rebel Kids Club
- Birthdays with the Rebels
- Chairback Rentals
- Gameday Central [Football] [Basketball] [Baseball]
- Rebel Windows
- Visitor's Guide
- What To Wear