Rebs Ride Six-Run Second to Win Over Central Arkansas
April 10, 2018
OXFORD, Miss. - Ole Miss fell behind by a couple of runs early but was able to rebound quickly on the way to a 9-3 victory over Central Arkansas Tuesday night at the Ole Miss Softball Complex.
Freshman Ava Tillmann made the start for Ole Miss (20-16, 4-11 SEC) and although she left with a lead, she did not qualify for the decision after allowing three runs on three hits and a pair of walks in three complete. Fellow freshman Anna Borgen came on in relief and threw four perfect innings to improve to 3-5 on the year.
10 Different Rebels registered a hit in the affair, with Kylan Becker and Autumn Gillespie each tallying a pair of base-knocks. Kaylee Horton drove in two runs from the leadoff spot, while Paige McKinney was able to give Ole Miss a pair of runs from the eight-hole.
After both teams went scoreless in the opening frame, the two sides were able to break through in the second. Central Arkansas (20-18) snagged a 2-0 lead after Reagan Sperling drove in a pair with a triple down the right field line.
However, Ole Miss came right back in the bottom half as all nine batters made a trip to the plate. Brittany Finney started things out with a walk. After Bry Castro came in to pinch run for Finney, Gillespie and Elantra Cox followed with singles to load the bases with no outs. Amanda Roth drew a walk to drive in the first run of the inning and McKinney slapped a fielder's choice to second, plating Gillespie.
McKinney and Cox teamed up for a double steal, allowing Cox to race home to give Ole Miss the lead at 3-2. Ally Mena then followed with a single up the middle and took second on the throw to put a pair in scoring position for Horton. McKinney came home on a wild pitch and Mena wasn't far behind as Horton drove an RBI single to left field. After Becker registered a single of her own, the final run came in on a throwing error, putting the Rebels up 6-2.
UCA cut the lead by one with a sacrifice fly in the third but the Rebels got the run right back in the sixth as Gillespie sent a single up the middle, bringing in Celeste Wood from second.
The Rebels tacked on a pair more in the fifth, with McKinney getting things started with a single to short and pinch-hitter Dylan Stancil singling down the right field-line and advancing on the throw, putting two in scoring position for Horton. Horton sent McKinney across the plate with a sac fly to right and Becker brought Stancil home with a sharp single back to the pitcher.
With a comfortable lead in hand, Borgen continued to baffle the Central Arkansas lineup, closing out the victory for the Rebels.
Ole Miss will return to the Ole Miss Softball Complex Wednesday night, jumping right back into action with a 6 p.m. tilt against Belmont. The game will be available for streaming via SEC Network +.
- Ole Miss improves to 6-1 on the season when scoring at least six runs.
- The Rebels batted .500 (9-for-18) with runners on-base Tuesday, including .600 (6-for10) with runners in scoring position.
- The 10 batters with a hit Tuesday are a season high for Ole Miss.
- Retiring all 12 batters she faced, freshman Anna Borgen picked up her first win since Feb. 23.
- Sophomore Autumn Gillespie also picked up a pair of hits, her eighth multi-hit game of the season.
- With her RBI single in the fourth, Gillespie improved to .395 on the year with runners in scoring position.
- Gillespie also threw out her eighth base stealer of 2018, fourth most in the SEC.
- Making her first appearance since Feb. 25, sophomore Dylinn Stancil registered a hit in her first at-bat back.
For all Ole Miss softball news and information, go to OleMissSports.com and follow the Rebels on Twitter at @OleMissSoftball, on Facebook at Ole Miss Softball and on Instagram at Instagram.com/olemisssoftball. Fans can also follow head coach Mike Smith on Twitter at @msmithsb16.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT
- Athletics Leadership
- Compliance and Disassociations
- Media Relations
- News Archives
- Spirit Squads
- Staff Directory
- This is Ole Miss
- FOR STUDENT-ATHLETES
- FedEx Student Athlete Success Center
- Health and Sports Performance
- M-Club Alumni Chapter
- Student-Athlete Development
- Rebels' Choice Awards
- Social Media
- E-Newsletter Sign Up
- Charitable Donations
- Contact Us
- Poster/Schedule Card Request
- Media and Downloads
- Ole Miss Sports Apps
- Calendar Schedule
- Sync Your Calendar
- Desktop Backgrounds
- School Song Downloads
- FOR KIDS
- Camps and Clinics
- Rebel Kids Club
- Birthdays with the Rebels
- Chairback Rentals
- Gameday Central [Football] [Basketball] [Baseball]
- Rebel Windows
- Visitor's Guide
- What To Wear