Rebel Softball Looking for Repeat Success Against LSU
April 5, 2018
- All three games of the series will be broadcasted on SEC Network +, with Lyn Rollins handling play-by-play duties and legendary Tiger coach Yvette Girouard serving as analyst.
- The Tigers hold a commanding 50-11 lead in the all-time series, including 24-4 in Baton Rouge.
- However, it was Ole Miss that won all four games against the Tigers in 2017, sweeping a three-game series of one-run ball games in Oxford and defeating the Tigers 5-1 in the SEC Tournament Championship Game.
- In the third edition of the NCAA RPI report, Ole Miss slid up one spot to No. 34.
- LSU is ranked No. 14 in both national polls this week and comes in at No. 12 in the RPI.
- All four of Ole Miss’ remaining SEC opponents are ranked in the top-20 in the RPI report.
- Ole Miss is coming off of a 5-1 midweek road win at Southern Miss, avenging a loss to the Golden Eagles earlier in the season. Junior Brittany Finney and freshman Jessica Puk both drove in a pair of runs in the contest.
- In its last SEC action, Ole Miss faced off against then No. 10 Auburn at the Ole Miss Softball Complex. The Tigers took the first two games of the series but the Rebels got the last laugh, coming out victorious in the final game thanks to Amanda Roth’s eighth-inning walk-off home run.
- Junior center fielder Kylan Becker became the first Rebel in 2018 to register four hits in a game in the finale against Auburn. Becker’s 4-for-4 showing at the plate matched her career-high for hits in a game.
- Finney has swung a hot bat in the last three games for Ole Miss, going 6-for-10 with a pair of doubles.
- Senior right-hander Kaitlin Lee threw all eight innings Sunday against a dangerous Auburn lineup, allowing just one earned run on six hits. It was the 34th win and complete game of Lee’s Rebel career, ranking fifth and seventh, respectively, in school history.
- The Tigers have posted a 30-6 record in 2018, including a 5-4 mark in SEC play to sit at fourth in the conference standings. LSU is 23-1 in Baton Rouge, with the lone blemish coming in a 1-0 loss in nine innings to North Dakota State. The Tigers played a midweek game at McNeese State in Lake Charles, Louisiana on Tuesday, claiming a 9-1 win in five innings. Prior to that, LSU took two-of-three games on the road at Missouri, taking both ends of a doubleheader last Friday before falling 5-4 in the finale.
- LSU is batting .279 as a team, posting a .400 slugging percentage with 36 doubles and 24 home runs. The Tigers have shown a good eye at the plate, collectively drawing 136 walks to 153 strikeouts this season. LSU runs a decent amount and is effective when doing so, going 50-for-56 on stolen base attempts, with Aliyah Andrews swiping safely in 31-of-32 attempts. Sophomore infielder Amanda Doyle leads LSU with a .372 average, ranking first on the team with 10 doubles, five home runs and 36 RBIs. Andrews isn’t far behind with a .364 average, scoring 28 times to lead the Tigers. Emily Griggs is the only other everyday starter batting over .300 at .310, scoring 21 runs and driving in 15 more.
- LSU boasts a tough pitching staff, registering a 1.22 ERA as a unit. Senior Carley Hoover has thrown a team-high 101.1 innings, posting a 1.04 ERA with 126 strikeouts to just 29 walks. Opponents are batting just .156 off of Hoover. The senior does, however, have a tendency to be a bit wild, unloading nine HBPs and seven wild pitches on the year. Fellow senior Allie Walljasper also sees consistent starts in the circle with 94.1 frames in 13 starts, leading the team with a 0.89 ERA and 85 strikeouts to 15 free passes. Walljasper is also extremely tough on opposing batters, holding opponents to a .168 average. Sophomore Maribeth Gorsuch has tossed 54.0 innings, recording a 2.07 ERA in 10 appearances, nine being starts.
TIGERS TAMED IN 2017
For all Ole Miss softball news and information, go to OleMissSports.com and follow the Rebels on Twitter at @OleMissSoftball, on Facebook at Ole Miss Softball and on Instagram at Instagram.com/olemisssoftball. Fans can also follow head coach Mike Smith on Twitter at @msmithsb16. Additionally, fans can get a behind the scenes look at Ole Miss softball and all of Ole Miss athletics on Snapchat under the handle, @WeAreOleMiss.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT
- Athletics Leadership
- Media Relations
- News Archives
- Spirit Squads
- Staff Directory
- This is Ole Miss
- FOR STUDENT-ATHLETES
- FedEx Student Athlete Success Center
- Health and Sports Performance
- M-Club Alumni Chapter
- Student-Athlete Development
- Rebels' Choice Awards
- Social Media
- E-Newsletter Sign Up
- Charitable Donations
- Contact Us
- Poster/Schedule Card Request
- Media and Downloads
- Ole Miss Sports Apps
- Calendar Schedule
- Sync Your Calendar
- Desktop Backgrounds
- School Song Downloads
- FOR KIDS
- Camps and Clinics
- Rebel Kids Club
- Birthdays with the Rebels
- Chairback Rentals
- Gameday Central [Football] [Basketball] [Baseball]
- Rebel Windows
- Visitor's Guide
- What To Wear