March 10, 2013
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The Ole Miss women's tennis team struggled in doubles, and that proved costly, as they dropped another tight 4-3 match, this time to Tennessee Sunday at the Barksdale Tennis Stadium.
In their first four SEC matches, the Rebels have lost three 4-3 decisions. After falling behind, the Rebels won three singles matches to take a 3-2 lead, but Tennessee would win a three-setter at four and close it out at one to grab the victory.
"It's frustrating when we keep putting ourselves in position to win matches and we continue to come up short," head coach Mark Beyers said. "Our doubles play was not very good today, and that is something we need to address in practice this week. In singles we fought very hard and played pretty well. These girls' work ethic has been phenomenal and I am confident that work is going to pay off eventually."
The Rebels started the day off getting swept in doubles winning only two games at one and two and losing 8-6 at three. However, the singles was much closer as the Rebels battled.
Ole Miss tied things up at one when Julia Jones defeated Caitlyn Williams in straight sets 6-0, 6-3 at No. 3 singles. However, Tennessee regained its lead after No. 43 ranked Kata Szekely defeated Rebel freshman Mai El Kamash 6-4, 6-3 at No. 2.
The Rebels netted the next two points of the match as Vief Vlaar came back to defeat Tiffany Tavares in a three set, fast-paced victory 2-6, 6-4, 6-1 on court six while freshman Marija Milutinovic took out Mimi Fotopoulos 7-5, 6-1 on court five to give the Rebels a 3-2 lead.
Tennessee evened the overall match when Joanna Henderson fought off sophomore Erin Stephens in three sets. After dropping a close first set 6-4, Stephens rallied to get the second 6-0, but Henderson was able to take the third 6-4.
Moments later, the match was decided at court one when 39th-ranked Caroline Rhode-Moe lost a close match, 7-6(5), 6-4 match to 21st-ranked Brynn Boren.
The Rebels (2-8, 0-4) continue on the road next weekend at Kentucky and Vanderbilt.
Follow the Rebels on Twitter, @OleMissWTennis and on Facebook at OleMissWTennis.
#62 Tennessee 4, #50 Ole Miss 3
1. #5 Brynn Boren/Kata Szekely (UT) def. #46 Caroline Rohde-Moe/Marija Milutinovic (OM) 8-0
2. Joanna Henderson/Caitlyn Williams (UT) def. Mai El Kamash/Erin Stephens (OM) 8-2
3. Mimi Fotopoulos/Sarah Toti (UT) def. Julia Jones/Iris Verboven (OM) 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 2, 6, 5, 4, 1
1. #21 Brynn Boren (UT) def. #39 Caroline Rohde-Moe (OM) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
2. #43 Kata Szekely (UT) def. Mai El Kamash (OM) 6-4, 6-3
3. Julia Jones (OM) def. Caitlyn Williams (UT) 6-0, 6-3
4. Joanna Henderson (UT) def. Erin Stephens (OM) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
5. Marija Milutinovic (OM) def. Mimi Fotopoulos (UT) 7-5, 6-1
6. Vief Vlaar (OM) def. Tiffany Tavares (UT) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3